Monday, January 26, 2009

Waiting For Time and Inspiration

It has been very quiet over on my blog hasn't it? Life is so incredibly full!!

People wonder when I find time to blog. Well, I'll let you in on a secret: I haven't blogged in six weeks. I actually sat down and did a ton of blogging over two nights and then scheduled them to post one per day. I was hopeful that after the last one posted I would have had time to start writing again.

Unfortunately it didn't work that way. For me, blogging is a quiet time activity where I *feel* what I write. I like to reimmerse myself in a situation and write it as if I were reliving it. To me, that makes the writing real. I can't write any other way. It is just not me.

Last night, when I was off to bed, at a late, late hour (once again) I began to feel the beginning of the desire to blog again. Sad to say, but unless I have time I lose the desire to write. Once I have time I get excited and the posts just roll out of me. I will only write if I have things to say because I am not into posting for the sake of it. *smile*

Well, as I headed to bed, a few random thoughts crossed my mind. That is how a post begins for me: a situation happens; someone says a funny phrase; an event occurs; life with teenagers, children, or adoption creates something that I just need to share. Then I write. Not before. But that night as I went to bed, I was too tired to write out my tidbits, and guess what? They are all gone. I have no inspiration.

They will come back and I will be back. Soon. Very soon. Probably this week. And when you see the flood of them you will think I was pulling your leg. *grin* But honestly, I am dry right now. I suppose if I keep typing thoughts will flow through my mind and I will be off and chatting, just like in a regular conversation. Then watch out!! *laugh*

In the meantime, I have a few stolen minutes, so I will share busyness. People who know me have no idea what busy is. No offense to them; they just have no clue.

I was busy before. Very busy. I chose when to write or call a friend. But this is different. I remember having a friend with eight children from ages 2-16 when I had four. My life was pleasant, organized, and a bit busy. I rarely saw her. I didn't get. I didn't complain, but I didn't get it.

Then I had six children and I still didn't get it. I was busy. Very busy. As I said, I rarely called friends, or had time to take off with friends - but I also didn't have the desire; I enjoyed being home with my kids and routine.

And then I had eight.

Okay, now life changed.

Did I mention that my friend with eight had children aged: 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 14, 16?

Now I get it. Finally my life has matched hers! I have children 4, 4, 5, 6, 9, 12, 15, 17.

There is absolutely no comparison to my life six months ago. Back then I had no schedule, no routine, I was a fly by the seat of my pants type person. Meals came at any time from 5-7 pm. Bedtime was usually about 8:00-9:00 pm for the younger set. Routine - did I mention I had no routine? Did I tell you how schedule resistant I was? Oh yes, I am the Queen of Schedules - that is the Queen of Making Schedules - NOT enforcing them. I liked to make them. I spent many hours working on the perfect schedule. But I had a problem actually using them. So finally about five years ago, I realized it was rather pointless making these schedules. They would never get used. So I quit. And we continued on just fine.

That is, until we acquired two more children and suddenly I needed routine. Not just for them, but really for me. I would not survive unless I had a plan. A plan of attack. How would I managed so many kids unless I knew what end was up?

And that is when my life changed. I began hooked on routines. And boy have they been liberating.

To be continued...
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, I've missed you. Looking forward to new postings. It is the winter blahs that have probably slowed you down, I heard minus 30 this am. Warmer weather coming so you should be up and running soon. Good luck.

Tami said...

I live (loosely) by a schedule and I think it makes all the difference in the world - even with only four. I can only imagine the difference with 8! :)
Its so good to have you back. I was just thinking about checking in with you to make sure everything was alright. It's not like you to be this quiet! ;>)

the Melodious Mama said...

good to *see* you! Adam was just saying the other day, "Did you used to see Justine all the time?" I replied, "That was before she bumped it up to 8! Lets just say she's a bit on the busy side." It was good to see the 3 who came to the gym the other day...the first time I saw Mesai (oh is she ever cute!!) Hope you come along and bring the rest of the troops next time! It would be great to chat. (One of these days I will have to pick your adoption brain!!) or maybe we'll do a walk by and see if you have time for a play/visit.
Hope your staying warm!!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering "where" you were!!! I know exactly what you are saying about the routine thing. I am so not a schedule type of person but when Marivi left suddenly, I found the only way I could get everything done without help and with my sanity intact was to schedule and do lists and be organized. I actually just did a post yesterday with a link to the free meal plan sheet I use. I used to kind of laugh when my mother-in-law would tell me about how she had certain days for certain types of housework (she had seven kids) and now I find myself doing the same thing and shaking my head wondering "how did I get here?"!

Unknown said...

Hey glad to hear your "voice again"
My only schedule I live by is the one I have to follow as far as activities we enroll the boys in. I have a fantasy once and awhile thinking about not using a clock/or day light savings etc... and just going with the flow but ho-hum it does not work. Look forward to your future posts!!
Have you heard our court news? Not very happy about these delay?
Take care
Blessings
Noelle