Saturday, September 26, 2009

In the Cradle of God's Hand

I serve an amazing God. His heart of compassion is outstanding. The night that Colt was to leave was difficult. I knew that once he was gone it would be easier, but it was the buildup to his leaving that was so hard.

While waiting for the final hours to pass I had friends praying for me and Colt. I have heard the expression, "I could feel your prayers."

I have never been able to say that before. I can now.

My heart just settled into a place of peace that evening, and when Colt came home with his brothers about 9:30 pm (before he took off for his road trip), I was settled. For the next four hours, and then in the night when I got up to see him off, I had no tears. And I am so very thankful for that. I really did not want Colt to be sent off with me looking sad. I wanted him to know that I celebrated his new place in life. And I do!

It was quite funny actually, because at about 10:30 pm when Colt was packing up the last of his things, he said he was under such pressure. "I have so much to do! I have to clean this room. I have to get everything packed. I can't forget anything. And then I have to deal with all of you feeling so bad about me going."

To his last statement, I laughed. It was so sweet to see his concern for everyone's sadness. I was able to say that, "Don't worry about that! We are all fine!" I know this reassured him. He asked me if I wanted to say goodbye now, or if I would be okay in the middle of the night. I told him I would be fine in the early AM. I wouldn't break into tears. *smile*

I knew my friends prayers had worked. I felt so at peace with my boy going.

Now to show you further how good God is: Colt and I had talked about ordering Caller ID for his cell phone, so that he would know if I had called, and then he could call back. I knew that I had to call the cell company, but I was busy and I knew it would be a few days before I got around to it.

The evening following Colt's early morning departure, Ray came into the kitchen and told me I would be getting a text message any time. He said this with a smile on his face. I was curious what he was talking about. He told me that our cell phone company had called a few minutes ago, and offered us Voice Mail, Caller ID, and Unlimited Texting.

I was surprised. I had never heard the phone ring, and I have never had the company call in the ten years we have dealt with them!!!!

And to top it off, we got our phones (Colt and I) in March, and Ray knew that I rarely used my phone, so it was a bit of a waste of money. He didn't complain, but he knew it was costing us about $35 a month, simply for me to have it when I went out a few times a month. And then not that long ago, I added Canada Wide long distance to it, so that the five friends on my plan can have free phone calls from anywhere in Canada. Well, that added to the bill, so honestly, for someone that rarely uses their cell phone, it can seem a bit of a waste of money.

So you can see why I was so pleasantly surprised to find my husband had so sweetly put on these extra options, so that my son would not be too far from home. And I could see his pleasure in doing this for me.

And I see the hand of God in the fact that our cell phone company has *never* called and offered us any kind of change in programming in ten years! Not only that, but they called the day Colt left, before I even had a chance to deal with the job myself.

God is so compassionate!

And to top all this off, I had a friend call me and ask me if I wanted to go see a movie on Friday night. This was the day after Colt left. I have only gone to the movie with her one other time, and it wasn't until this writing of this blog that I realized the timing of her invite. It was just the right movie to make me laugh! It was a wonderful movie: Julie and Julia.

After the show, as I was driving to pick up Cassidy from Cadets, I saw a sign posted on the big billboard out front of the Cadet hall. I have seen messages there before, but they have never spoken to my heart. Today's message did. It was a message just for me. *smile*

The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart.

My God is an awesome God. He knows my heart. He knows my love of my son. And He knows that I released him to do great things. But He also knows that it was hard for me and because of this, He reached down and cradled me in His hand.

He heals the brokenhearted. Psalm 147: 3a
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted. Isaiah 61:1

Thank you, Lord.
.

1 comment:

Gwen said...

Good post. I like the way God is interested in the details of our lives. He doesn't just take care of the big-picture, salvation and justification type issues, He also cares about our small, earthly troubles. They're not too small for His attention, and not too small for Him to fix. He's a great God!