Friday, April 16, 2010

God's Sense of Humour

ers
I was watching the original movie that inspired The Walton's. It is called Spencer's Mountain. It is a wonderful movie filmed in 1963 about a man with nine children that lived on Spencer's Mountain. While watching the movie, I was admiring the kitchen table they have. It is about 4 1/2 feet across and at least 8 feet long. I loved the fact that two chairs could sit at each end, as well as the benches down the side.

As I sat watching this movie I was thinking to myself that I couldn't cut my dinner table down the centre, because my dad built it for me, and I was sure he would not be impressed. My present dinner table is 3 1/4 feet by 7 feet long. When we first got it, it seemed big. We went from a 3' x 5' table to that one when we had four children.

The day after watching the movie, we headed up to our church to do a church cleanup. It was the beginning of the spring season and there was lots of work to do. They told me they were cleaning out all kinds of stuff from one building. I had seen one guy putting some shelves or something in his truck, and so I asked if I could look through their junk. They said I could. I saw a bunch of items in a pile, but one man had claimed it all.

As I headed up for lunch, my husband informed me that there was this table in the basement. It was solid birch and huge - 5' x 8'. It was up for grabs if I wanted it. If I wanted it??? I made a mad dash to the basement before anyone else could lay claim to it.

But seriously, *who* would really want a table that big? Unless it was a large family? Not too many people!

I found the table top leaning against a wall and I knew it was perfect. Ray and the boys loaded it into our pick up truck and we took it home. We set it up in the livingroom, so we could see how it would look. Each time I walk by it I have a chuckle! I can't believe the size of the sucker!

God knew I wanted a bigger table..... laugh. And bigger it is! It comfortably seats twelve. It is almost double the size of our last table! I had every one sit on one side of it to show just how many children we could put around this table!! There is room for about five more. *grin*

.

2 comments:

Sharla said...

That is so awesome! God really does meet our needs (even in the small things)!

Linda said...

WOW now that is a table. I have enjoyed catching back up with your family. Sorry about Briton's tests I love Peanut Butter poor little man. So many of our friends have children with peanut allergies I wonder why? We never heard of it when we were growing up. At least his doesn't sound life threatening unless of course he gets into a huge batch of it. It is amazing how young they learn to ask before accepting a treat. Maybe he will outgrow it, a friend of ours did. Take care and keep blogging.