Sunday, August 8, 2010

Back Filling and Well Drilling

I haven't written in a few days because life has been busy. I haven't been working on the land, but somehow life still gets filled full!

Thursday, August 5th, the excavator came to backfill the house.


There wasn't enough dirt from the excavation of the house, so he had to go up the driveway, as you saw in the last pictures. Well, Ray had method to his madness, because it all worked out for the best! We actually needed more dirt than Ray was able to get from the driveway piles, so they decided the excavator was to dig a big hole in the yard. The pond it was not to be. Simply a hole to provide dirt. Cassidy suggested we use the hole to discard all stumps we couldn't burn and other land refuse. Ray agreed.

The Backfilled House


Ready For Framing

Ray has decided in light of the fact that we live in an area that has cold winters that radiant heating is the way we should go. I fought tooth and nail (actually, I diplomatically stated my facts and my case, as to why it was way to expensive and that there were other ways to go: inside woodstoves), but Ray, who never demands his way and lets me have almost anything I want, wanted the radiant heating. So radiant heating it is. I am sure God will work out the details! (laugh)

For those that don't know what it is, since, a mere couple months ago I had no clue what it was: Radiant Heat is heat that comes under the floors. We will have a large wood boiler out in the yard sitting on the above concrete pad. This will heat water, which will run through a pipe into the house and the pipes will be run under the floors through the basement and main floors. I have elected (and Ray seems to have agreed) to forego the upstairs bedrooms, since we like cooler bedrooms, and because I will have my small woodstove in the hearthroom, which is at the end of the kitchen. This room is situated near the staircase and therefore, the heat will escape upstairs, just like in the house we have now. So that should suffice.

Thursday was also the day the well drillers were coming. We had had the well witched and the guy was to come back on the day of the drill to doublecheck his idea of where the water would be. Unfortunately, the drillers arranged to be at our house at 7:00 am and are plans for the witcher were not til 10:00am. I just hoped that they would find the same spot at the witcher.

Sadly, for the second time that week, my van battery was dead. I thought I might have had a problem with my van, but it turns out that there was one particular little boy involved in both incidents. The unfortunate part is that we arrived at the land after they had completed drilling the well. We missed the momentous moment when they STRUCK WATER!


I should mention that for the second time our water was found where our well witcher told us it would be. He witched our well when we moved to the area eleven years ago, also, and that time he told us exactly how many feet down it would be: 14 feet. And he was right. He was also right about the depth this time. We are so thankful!

Cassidy Enroute to Tell Me About the Water

The Driller Truck


Held Up On Feet While Drilling

10 Glorious Gallons a Minute!

Our last house brought in 1-2 gallons a minute, and we did just fine on that. But of course, our God is kind enough to give us a flood of water to service our large family needs, because you see, we also want to have animals and gardens.

Capping the Well

Lunch Break
.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Wow that is awesome that you got that much water and that quickly. They drilled ours for days, we also have lots of water but down a couple of hundred feet. You are right, God Is Good. Congratulations on the well. I have radiant heat, it is a very even heat, we put it in the basement and main floor and put electric up stairs in the bedrooms so they could control their rooms individually. We are very happy with it. Enjoying following along with this great adventure, keep up the great work posting.

Hi from Ruth! said...

I am learning a lot about this process thanks to your posts. What's the estimated move-in date? Or do you have one??

RUth

Unknown said...

I have no clue. lol. I know when our bank loans have to be taken to keep the mortgage going. I know that we have 8 months on our building insurance. Lord willing, it will not be long into the spring. But we have to be able to work on our other jobs to make bills and pay some of this cost down. And then of course, our oldest son leaves, and goes to college this fall and then we will slow down. So we shall see. God is in control. I need to remember that!