Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Choosing to Learn English

Gadisae has very little English. She relies on Mesai to talk. Mesai says what she wants when she wants something:

Mum, television?

Mum, thank you for the meal. May I please be excused?

Gadisae, no! That is mine.

Briton, don't touch.

Can I see it?

What is that?

She is capable of sentences.

Last week, I told Mesai that I wanted her to try to make a sentence rather than relying on one or two words. I explained what a sentence was. I gave her some examples of sentences. I then showed her my hands showing how big two words was and then how big a sentence was. She clearly understood what I was saying.

She dug deep and came up with: Mum, I have apple please?

I was so pleased with her effort. But for the next week or so, she has gone back to relying on us giving her what she wants without making any real effort. Today, she and her sister arrived at the door with Briton, looking for an apple. None of them have much speech! LOL!

So, as soon as the two girls began to speak and simply say, Apple, I said to Mesai that I wanted her to use more words. Make a sentence. I gestured with my hands to show more words. Gadisae cottoned on very quickly and said, "Apple, puleese." Good for her! She got her apple right away.

Briton clued in and said, "Hep me, appuh" (Help me, apple). Good for him! They took their apples and went off to play.

Thus, began Mesai and my lesson in speech. I told her how when Briton went to the speech doctor, they told me to not give him what he wants unless he asks for it. He had to make an effort, and I expected her to do the same. She has at least a two year advancement on Gadisae's cognitive skills.

I knew that her saying, Apple, was not an effort on her part. She certainly knew to put the word Please with it, and could easily remember to say, Mum. So I knew I was within reason to push her a little.

I told her that Briton was little and he only gave 'this much' words and showed her with my hands. Gadisae was little and only gave 'this much'. Again, I showed her with my hands, again. The big boys gave *thisssss much* and it was way bigger. Then Mesai only had to give 'this much,' and it was in the middle of the big boys and the two little ones.

I coached her and gave her clues and told her clearly I wanted her to make an effort. I told her that as long as she and Gadisae were talking to each other in Amharic they did not feel the need to try and learn English. And if we all answered their needs when they asked for: Mum, bun. Mum, apple. Television. Book - we were not raising the bar enough for them to feel it necessary to try to learn English. It was time for her to try harder. I told her that I also knew that Rebecca, her teacher in Ethiopia, only spoke in English to her. The gag was up. *grin*

It has been almost two months of total immersion in the English language. Gadisae probably uses 20-30 words - Mesai 50 words.

She sat at the front entry bench and thought, or simply sat, (I am not sure which). She didn't look like she was trying too hard. I came and went from the room, as I was helping Cassidy with school and making dinner. I then called her into the kitchen and chatted with her some more. I told her to dig deep, TRY, TRY, TRY. She has a little stubborn streak, and she was utilizing this at first.

Then, as I was not budging on giving in, and she could see from my facial features that I was on her side and really wanted her to succeed, she began to produce words. (It was like my eyes squinting and mouth pulling in this way and that as she moved her mouth trying to form words, must have made her realize I was really on her side! LOL!! As if my painful look as my faced moved in deformed grimaces trying to help her illicit sounds simply by coaxing with my features. *grin*)

I could see her lips forming the word "Can" - and I nodded my head, while thinking, Yes, thaaaaatt's it. Come on. Let it out. You can do it. *lol*!!!

Well, FINALLY after chewing on the word for long enough, she must have believed it was a word and out it popped!

CAN
and right on its heels YOU HELP ME APPLE PLEASE?

Whoa, Baby!!! You did it!!

Mum, can you give me apple please.

Oh, boy! Was I thrilled!! She persevered and tried, instead of giving up!


YES!! I knew you could do it!! I am SO PROUD OF YOU!! Give me five!!


We high fived, and then I kissed her and kissed her all over and hugged her tight. I was so excited I had tears in my eyes! Success! What a moment!

She laughed and giggled at her crazy mother swinging her around the room. LOL!!

We went and got the apple and I picked her up and hugged her again, and we laughed. I said, "I am SO proud of you for trying!! Well done!"

She walked outside looking so proud of herself.

It is *worth* trying. I could let them learn at the slow pace they are, and I will in most areas. But there is no way that they can't learn some basics. I have seen how she parrots every single word she hears. And Gadisae does not. But Mesai is choosing to not do the hard work and put sentences together.

I know how much more she is capable of. For instance, I know of a little boy of her age, who was only in the country *six* months and when we met him he had no accent and spoke perfect English. Well, we do want our girls to speak Amaharic, and we love their accent, but they can certainly learn English, too.

Oh and an update: about 30 minutes later, when I went outside to take them for a walk, Mesai said, "Mum, gloves?" And I, out of habit, responded, so she received her gloves. Then she said to me with a smile, "Mum, can you help apple, please?" She was proudly showing me her skill.

I then said, "Mesai, ask for your gloves properly." She immediately said, "Mum, can you help gloves, please?" And smiled. Success! Sure, we have to work on the grammar and word choice, but not today.

.

6 comments:

the Melodious Mama said...

fabulous!! I love how you can just see the wheels turning in her mind....all the picture you have of her she looks so thoughtful...like she's drinking it all in. What a great bonding experience for you both.

darci said...

wow, what wisdom you have to have to know when to push and when to let it rest. it is so neat to hear how the girls (and boys! :) are all doing.

Sharla said...

That's great that she is making progress!

Tami said...

Great job! Its hard to know when to push and when to sit back and let them go at their own pace. And it's different for each child. I'm so glad you are so in tune with her needs. ;>)
BTW - I miss you! I keep forgetting to check in with my private blog friends. So if I'm MIA for awhile, come by and remind me.

Anonymous said...

That is GREAT! You will be amazed at how quickly the english will come.

Jody said...

I like reading all of your updates!! They are wonderful.