Saturday, October 11, 2008

Do You Think He Loves Them?



Briton is Always Kissing Them!

I have been asked how our littlest has adjusted to having sisters. I can honestly say he adores them. But... I am sure his little subconscious is having a hard time adjusting to these people who won't go home!

Tonight, for instance: he is so darned cute! Am I biased? Perhaps! But really, he is adorable. I went upstairs to help the girls play with their doll house. I have no idea why, but Mesai didn't want to play. She stood by watching, while I got her sister going.

Just Observing Us Playing

I wonder if it is because in Ethiopia she didn't really play with toys. She ran around the orphanage with the kids in the play yard and watched TV, (Oh yeah! We know she watched TV. Those kids are like a kid on drugs when a TV comes on!!! We don't put it on because I can't stand how they immediately zone out!)

After about ten minutes of standing and just watching us play, she ventured to join us. I wonder if it is because up to this point she has not known what to do with the doll house? She is a bit of a perfectionist - perhaps she feels there is a 'correct' way to do things. Or maybe because her brothers don't let it stay exactly as she puts it when they join her? Or maybe because she just hasn't had enough exposure to small activities. I have no idea!

Getting in the Fun

So I went up and played and told Briton and Cooper that they were not to come in. I wanted the girls to be able to have girl time with out 'helpful' little brothers rearranging the house. Cooper took off (I am sure he was disappointed) but Briton sat down on the floor just outside the door and said with a hopeful little face, "Wat?" (watch)

He was satisfied to watch from a distance. Boy, did that make me feel like a heel! But I had a good reason to do it. But still. Before the girls came he never had to 'wat' - he could be part of everything!

Those are the moments when I know he must be feeling that these people are changing his life. He does have an attitude about it. But there are more tears about things, and Daddy is his hero and his heart breaks when Daddy goes to work and he runs frantically out the door towards the truck calling, "Daddy, me wohk?" And then he tears up when Daddy leaves without him.

I told Ray to not feel bad if he was Briton's favourite! I think it is wonderful that Daddy is so important to him! He is the first one that he cries for when he is hurt. I am not offended when I am cradling a hurt and he says, "Daddy..." I love that he has that affect on him.

So while I was on the coast, Ray took Briton to work for a mere hour to do a few things. This was the first time he had done it. Thirty minutes later, Briton said, "Home?"

The next day, Briton said to Ray, "Work?"

Ray and I laughed at the fact that that is all Briton's attention span can hold - a 30 minute work day!! *laugh*

Other than the tears, Briton has gone through a period where he has hit the girls. Not much, but still, he is not a hitter, so I take it as adjusting.

But there is no doubt that he loves them. And they love him right back.

.

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

I just love the look Mesai has on her face when Briton is showing her some love - the look of a good big sister tolerating her little brother and loving it! It is fun to see their interactions.

Anonymous said...

will pass... poor little guy!

Gwen said...

Ooh, is that a Calico Critters dollhouse? My youngest daughter has been DROOLING over the one in a local shop. So far she's only managed to afford two little families... but she's still hoping for the house! It looks great!

Sandra Knight said...

looking so good, all of you. now entering yr 7 of teaching/modelling/forcing kids to "play", as they are always inclined to run around outside OR watch tv. It does get better, ptl