Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Little Reader

As I have mentioned before I totally believe in letting a child begin to read on their time schedule, not mine. Recently, I did a government test of my 'grade 4' son. He did well on all the tests, scoring an 'average' level on everything, except spelling, which he scored in the grade above.

Now, he *could* have scored a grade or two above in everything, if I had started his education at the tender age of 5, which is where most children begin. But I didn't. I exposed him to letters and numbers when he was five, but when he showed he wasn't lapping it up, I simply put it away for another year. Occasionally, I would bring out the flashcards, the games, the worksheets and try again, but each time it was evident that I would be drilling him rather than him simply soaking it up.

By the time he was seven/eight he was showing that he was ready to absorb. It was still difficult, but he didn't see school as a hardship because reading came when it was time. Slow and steady. About a year ago, he took off slowly into reading. He was nine at the time. My latest reader. In the last four months, he has begun the *sprint* into reading. He is now reading a small book every day or so. He has begun to see the joy of reading. It was never drudgery, though. It was always a coveted treat, just waiting for him to reach out and grasp it. But now he has tasted of this sweet victory and he can't wait to read more.

Yes, he could have been taught much sooner. We could have spent four to six hours a day doing 'schoolwork', but how much farther ahead would he be on his provincial testing? A year or so? What exactly would that year have gained him? How really important is it to say my son is 'a year ahead of his peers'?

He is not behind. No, he is ahead in all of the *other* things he was able to do with that time that he would have sat drilling at a school table for the last five years! Instead, he has spent a mere two years at a desk and reached grade level in that time, whilst enjoying climbing trees, building forts, swords, and shields, and dressing up as knights and other wonderful things, creating with K'nex, Lego, Duplo, and Playmobil, and hours upon hours being a "child", versus a "student".

I wouldn't have it any other way. He is the fourth child to prove that this theory really works!

And then along comes Cooper. Sweet Cooper who simply couldn't retain his letter names and sounds. He is six years and four months of age. His little girl cousin would come to visit and she already was learning her reading. She is eight months younger than him. It was tempting at times to feel a little 'embarrassed' or 'shown-up' when they would be playing a game and his auntie would see that he was struggling with his letter names or sounds or numbers, and her younger daughter was whizzing by it all with full knowledge.

But then I would have to remind myself: I am not in this to impress anyone. I am in this because I *believe* in "Better Late Than Early" - I believe in this wholeheartedly! And I have living proof in four older children that this is the best way for our family.

So the other day - perhaps a week or so ago - I pulled out the workbooks again. Cooper had finished the kindergarten book and I thought we might try the Grade 1 book. We had time before the end of the 'school year', so I might as well give it a shot. I knew that he had struggled his way through the Kindergarten book, simply because he could not remember the names and sounds of the letters. But funny enough, he has no problem 'hearing' the sounds at the beginning, middle and end of words. And that can be a hard concept!

As I pulled out the book last week, it was evident that he was not ready for the Grade 1 book. He didn't even remember his letters and here they expected him to completely know them. I put the book away and waited. A week later - two days ago - I pulled the book out again and gave it another shot.

It was time.

Cooper took this first page and simply looked at each picture and then said the word and then completely by himself matched up the pictures to the words!



Bingo. He was ready to sponge it up.

No drilling. No nagging. No tears. No hardship.

He had just won the big reward. His brain was ready to read. He was thrilled, grinning from ear to ear!

I then pulled out the Explode the Code book 1 and off he ran. In minutes, with little to no instruction, he completed a weeks worth of work! Just like that!

Proud Little Boy!

I figured he was due for some celebrating. So when the little ones went off to bed for naptime, I made some cupcakes and when they woke up everyone had them to celebrate Cooper's big accomplishment. After this, I had my big boy going into town to get some groceries, so I sent Cooper with him.

Colt took Cooper to Dairy Queen to buy him an icecream in recognition of his Big Day. Well, I suppose I should have mentioned what size to buy...

Colt Bought Him A Large!

Happy Boy!

Cooper loved it and had no problem finishing it. And the next day he continued reading...
.

4 comments:

BCMommy said...

Hey Justine!

Congrats, Cooper!

Justine, check out www.letterland.com
It is a program I use in my class, and is used district wide to teach kids letters and sounds, and to read and expand after that into double vowels etc. They have great resources, cards, workbooks, cd-roms, and games you can buy to use. Briton and Savannah may really enjoy it when it comes time for him to learn letters and numbers. My students (and Nick and Jackson) LOVE it! Check it out!
Claire

Anonymous said...

Claire,

Thanks so much! I will definitely check it out.

Blessings, Justine

Becky R said...

Congratulations! Kids need to go at there own pace, kudos to you for letting them. My kids are all over the place, my 11 year who should be in 5th garde, does 6th grade math, and 4th grade language arts. It works for us. My 5 year old knows some words, but I also do not want to push him.

Linda said...

Hi Justine
Please tell Cooper congratulations on his new language skills. It looks like he really enjoyed his treat. I fully agree with your method of teaching, everyone is unique and learns at a different pace. My group is really looking forward to summer holidays and time at the lake. They have a count down only 9 more days of school.