Sunday, November 23, 2008

Doro - It Must Be My Birthday!

I forgot to mention that the day that was Gadisae's birthday I was putting two chickens in a roasting pan. She saw these two sad looking chickens (one son said they looked like bats!! I actually got a killer deal and it is no wonder! *grin*)

Gadisae's face lit up and she said, "Doro - me birthday - doro?"

Going with the program as it was being written, *grin*, I immediately said, "Yes! Your birthday. We have doro!"

She beamed.

I connected. When she lived with her mother and it was a special time - New Years or Christmas - they would have chicken. If they were very fortunate then they would have a little bit of butter to put on the chicken for baking.

This was a wonderful memory. Her face just lit up.

As Gadisae watched the chicken come out of the oven later, for testing to see if it was done, she was immediately talking again. Using her hands and a few words, she expressed to me what it was like when they had chicken:

"Me," and she mimed holding a chicken leg and gnawing down on it like a ravenous little monster. She laughed in delight when she told me how Mesai ate, "Mesai," nibble, nibble, on her piece of chicken.

It was so wonderful to see her tell this story, and Mesai said it was so. It makes sense knowing the two little personalities as I do. Mesai is the little lady, and Gadisae, well, just believe me when I say I can see her chomping on a bone! *grin*
.

7 comments:

Linda said...

Wait until she sees the turkey, that is one big doro.(grin) Hope we get up for New Years would love to see them again.

Linda

HomoHausfrau said...

What a cute story.. It's amazing what things can trigger a young one's mind to remember such memories!

emily said...

so sweet to hear these memories that they have. I so wish I could meet your girls!!!

K_I_T_ said...

I am encouraged always when I read your blog. Thanks for sharing so those of us who are going to "be there" in days ahead have something to referance!!! We in the referal waiting stage!

Gwen said...

I was making doro wat yesterday and thinking about Gadisae and her birthday doro. I'm looking forward to reading about their reactions to a Canadian Christmas!

Gwen said...

ps - How's the eating going? I'd love to hear about how the girls are doing with the unusual (to them) foods.

Anonymous said...

AWW. So precious.