Friday, May 8, 2009

Sitting on the Edge of the Nest - part 4 - Manly Projects

The following week, after I had chatted with my friends (who have sent eight young adults out into the world between them), Dane began helping his brother with a treehouse. He honestly was not thrilled at the prospect. He has always been a hand-eye coordination guy who didn't have a lot of interests other than flying airplanes and reading/studying about World War II.

Dane has been in his brother's shadow for too long. It is time for him to gain his confidence and realize that he can do just as much as his big brother. Maybe not the same things, but certainly he can do what he can do - just as well!

Cassidy and I had chosen a treehouse in a book by David Stiles called How to Build Treehouses, Huts, and Forts, that I felt the Cassidy and Dane were capable of building.

Cassidy had photocopied his material list from the book, called two different stores and told them that he would be faxing in the lists and When could he have the quotes from them?

They told him a couple hours. Later that day, he received his quotes back and they were within ten dollars of each other. I figured, just pick the cheaper quote. Cassidy, putting more effort into it than me, decided that he could save a further $20, by picking and choosing from each store.

The next day, he and his dad went to the lumber stores and Ray stood back, while Cassidy did his transactions. When they got home, the boys got to work.


First, Dane had a small tree to chop down. He took the hatchet to that pretty quickly. The other children quickly got involved in helping.

They had to remove a rickety pile of wood that they had made into a funny little makeshift fort.

Then the little ones got to work digging the hole. It had to be 3.5 feet deep.


There Was Work For Everyone!

Lumber Hauling Crew

Installing the Post into Concrete

They had to mix concrete in the correct ratios and install the 6"x6" x 16' post. This would become the third post as two trees would support the rest of the fort.

Braced and Ready For the Floor

Austin Helping Dane Build the Floor

All Hands on Deck While Cutting Beams

They had to do it the old-fashioned way. No power saws! The boys thought I would allow it and I said, No! This is about using your muscles and learning to do things without fancy tools!

Using Power Tools

Each of the two main older boys that were building the treehouse had the use of the power tools. Here they are drilling holes into the tree. They will be attaching 2'x6' beams to create a triangular frame base.

The treehouse was turned to a different angle than the book had called for, (creative control of the boys), so the boys had to figure out how to get the frame up onto the frame between the trees.

Ray came to the rescue and helped them figure out the problem.

DAY 2

Dane Nailing Down the Plywood

Dad checking to make sure Dane is doing what the book says.

Even visiting friends were put to work! And honestly, I think this boy enjoyed himself! Dane thought it was work and who'd want to work when they could be playing!? But I told Dane that building treehouses is actually boys' fun!

Dane Cutting the Post Holes

Dane came to the house and asked where his dad was. He wanted him to come out and help him with the post holes on the fort deck. I asked him why he didn't do it himself? His answer? Cause I thought Dad would need to. I told Dane that he could do it and off he went. It has been great to see how he has embraced learning the new skills on this fort.

DAY 3

Austin Sawing Siding

Ray was called in to do the peel and stick roofing material.

Mighty Austin - With Who Behind Him?

Boys!!! As I was taking this picture I could see Cassidy creeping up the ladder behind Austin just ready to scare him.

Enjoying the Near Finished Product


That night the boys spent their first sleepout in the fort. It was snug - just under 4' wide by 8' long, but it was adequate. It has a nice finished over 4' wide porch. Cassidy has built a little table and it is set up with their deck chairs. A perfect little get-away fort where the little ones can get to.

This book that the boys used is fantastic! It was written for children to understand. Once in a while, though, the boys called on their dad to clarify things and I taught them how to do siding. Surprised? LOL! I was the Fort-Making Queen in my childhood (with my brother).

But really, the boys get 95% credit for building this treehouse!! We are so impressed at the effort they put forth and the quality of the treehouse that they already have plans to build two more. Stay tuned! Swiss Family Robinson is moving in!

to be continued - part 5
.

12 comments:

Tami said...

How fun! I'm so glad the boys embraced that project (and that you had the land to support it! :) I always wanted a treehouse...still do. ;)

Linda said...

What a great tree house, congratulations to the crew. I hope those weren't pine trees as our fort at the lake had to go because of dead trees. It did get many years of use first though and everyone had mostly outgrown it. My daughters built it so I was impressed it lasted as long as it did. Don't tell them I said that. Here is wishing the kids many great adventures in their new home. How is the chicken house project doing? I just noticed that I comment twice as much as anyone else, I guess it is because I enjoy your family adventures so much or I just talk to much. Probably the latter:)

the Melodious Mama said...

that is so great!!! what a perfect "applied skills unit study"!! good job boys!

Anonymous said...

Neat. It looks like they all had fun. I remember my brothers and I building forts and treehouses, good memories, good memories. I love that you homeschool your children. It's so inspiring. I only wish other mother's were able too do so. Great post.

Unknown said...

Great tree fort!! Good work guys!

Anonymous said...

LOVE it!!!!! Can't wait to see the other ones! My kids would just love to play with your kids. They are really similar.
I don't know if you have a restore where you live, but it might be a neat project for them to build a treehouse using all recycled materials??!
Natasha

Renee said...

Wowweeeee! What a fun fort! Can I come to visit too? Great job boys, you rock! Happy Mother's day to one of my most favorite mommies in the whole world! Love to you!!!

Rowan Family said...

That looks like so much fun. Jrock was surfing and said "hey come look at this!" and we really enjoyed the pictures. I built a few forts in my day too :-) but none above ground! Super cool!

Nicky & Jrock

Becky R said...

That is so cool. Your boys did an awesome job. I looked making blanket forts as a kid. I want to help my boys make a tree fort, but not enough trees in the yard.

Sharla said...

What a great job they did! That is one impressive tree fort!

Justine, your boys are growing up into men...you must be so proud of them!

Jennifer said...

What a great project! I am sure that everyone will have great memories of building their own tree house!

Jenny said...

I showed my boys and guess what? They are trying to build a fort in that backyard with cardboard and ducktape on top of the cherry tree...the only tree in our yard! Oh to be six again!

This is so cool Justine, team work at it's finest! Great job everyone.

Jenny