Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Sitting on the Edge of the Nest - Part 3

So how does all these posts have anything to do with Sitting on the Edge of the Nest?

Well, I believe from watching my two older boys that that is just what they are doing for those final two to three years of highschool. They are sitting on the edge of the nest, dying to jump off and try to fly, but yet, they can't really because there are safety harnesses holding them back. They have these 'obligations' to do what is expected of them, versus being trusted to know what is best for themselves!

By allowing them to make decisions regarding their education based on what they think they want to learn, rather than choosing from a prescribed list of choices, I believe is a way of allowing them to fly.

Following is the beginning of me learning to do this:

In September of last year, I signed our newest grade 10 student up for classes through two distance education programs. We began the year with the typical: English 10, Math 10, Science 10. He was also given some 'easy' credits through Info Tech (computer) 10, PE 10.

At one point, I threatened him with public school if he didn't start buckling down and do this work.
It wasn't that he wasn't doing the work; he was simply was hating it and bothering those around him. It had absolutely no relevance to his life. He said he had no plans to do anything with the Shakespeare and poetry and analyzing short stories that he was doing; and he had no interest in chemistry, physics and earth science. So what was the point?

I had put off Social Studies 10 with plans to incorporate it into the next semester. As January drew to a close, and I had to make some decisions regarding the next semester with Dane, I realized that I was really not at peace with his sitting down for the next 2.5 years doing what the government wanted versus *really learning*.

So we had a talk.

I wasn't completely 'there' yet; I was still on the journey.

First step: we would challenge the Grade 10 Home Economics course, and see if he could do some of the work and get credits for what he had done at home. He has been cooking and baking in the kitchen, since he was nine years old. He would write his own Aviation course and get four credits for that; and he would continue in Work Experience in Construction, since he had plenty of chances to do that, plus he would continue his English 10 course through to June.

(So you see, I was still worrying about the mandatory 80 credits for graduation). This way I could give him a 'real' transcript even if he didn't go for the provincial special diploma.

So, he wrote a program for Aviation: he would paint a mural on his bedroom wall of a World War II fighter plane, read through the Ground School Course textbook on flight and apply each lesson to his Flight Simulator computer program (read the lesson and carry out the lesson in reality), plus he would get credit for a World War II story that he wrote about a soldier from our country that lay down his life for some children in the war.

Early February, he began his courses.

About five weeks into the program, I was visiting a friend - the friends in the Wilderness Blessing post. We began talking about teens, attitudes, pestering little siblings, restlessness, and lack of interest in mundane courses. And WHAT TO DO!?

The first thing I heard was to 'Build his confidence'. This is different to self-esteem, which can be 'all about me.' This is showing a boy that is ready to conquer the world that *he can*. He does not have to jump through certain hoops to keep the system happy anymore. Let him know that he can do things. Practical skills. Follow his passions. Give him things to do that show him that he is not just a student - but a man ready to take on the world.

As I sat there listening, I began to get ideas. My sister was there with me that day, and she told me that that was the way I had raised the children always, why was now any different?
FEAR was my only answer!

So no more fear!

Dane does not want to go to university or college. He wants to be a pilot. For this occupation he does not need even a highschool transcript. A transcript is the paper with the marks on it. The diploma is a certificate that shows what school he came from. A child coming from England is going to have a different set of marks than we would have in Canada! That child will not be stopped from going to university - they would have to take the entrance exam and prove they are capable! I know this, as my brother graduated in England!

To be a pilot he needs to take his pilot's license and then to move up higher, he simply needs experience on the smaller planes.

But most importantly, a student never just enters higher education - they have to take entrance exams. How many homeschool students don't have the 'government written' graduation diploma, but have gotten into university, simply by taking the entrance exam and receiving flying colours? Many, many, many!

I always knew this was true, but once again, I was scared of taking an 'unconventional' route.

When I came home from my friend's that day, I felt liberated! The following day I felt I got confirmation. I received an email from Dane's Home Ec teacher, who he had been submitting work to for the previous five weeks, and was told that Dane had successfully challenged the course and would not need to finish the following three months work!

One less obligation. More room to work with his interests. He soon finished his Work Experience obligations and has now only got English to finish, plus his Aviation course, which he is enjoying.

So now, I had the time I needed to put the boy to work! *smile*

The next day, while he was 'officially' off on his own schedule (no more my scheduling) he came downstairs and told me there was a blocked drain and could he use the internet. He wanted to find out how to remove the blocked plug. I was pleased to see that once this boy was no longer tied to the desk all day, he had time to begin doing things that would better equip him when he left home! He found the solution and solved the problem. A successful bonus to his first 'free day'.

At the same time, I figured it was time he had more space to call his own. His big brother already had a room of his own, and though I am very against children having their own rooms, as I believe it breeds selfishness, I thought it was time for some new lessons in this newly turned 16 year old.

We began by moving out his bed to the recroom. At first he wasn't so sure. He felt a bit lonely. And so for about a week or so, he slept more in the house than outside. By the following week, he had tried it more and quickly decided he loved having his own space.

Taking His Bed Apart and Moving Out

Brotherly Help

Moved Into the 'Men's Barracks'

to be continued - Part 4
.

3 comments:

Gwen said...

Dane... dude! Every man needs to know some Shakespeare. A little Bard goes a long way in wooing women. Shakespeare must not be underestimated! ;)

BCMommy said...

Hey Justine, Our University down here offers a degree in aviation:
http://www.ufv.ca/calendar/2008_09/ProgramsA-B/AV.htm
Check it out!!!

Claire

darci said...

that's exciting for him..just a thought (sorry to be a negative voice). my husband is a pilot, for the federal gov't right now. He was a bush pilot for years, then onto provincial gov't, now federal. For the gov't jobs he had to provide all his transcripts..i wonder if it would be worth finding out what kind of flying he wants to do, and with an eye to that, you can know what he will need for future work. :) all the best to him. tell him to do his 'northern work' before he gets married, lol!