Monday, September 6, 2010

Delinquent Tooth Fairies

In our house the tooth fairies are always delinquent! Oh my goodness, those poor children.

One day, Cooper put his tooth under his pillow. The next day he came downstairs quite upset because the tooth fairy had not been. I reassured him that I was sure the tooth would be gone the next day, and it was probably because the tooth was hidden that it had been missed.

The next day, the same terrible thing happened. Cooper woke up, searched under his pillow, found nary a penny, and came running downstairs. The tooth fairy had still not come. I told him that perhaps the fairy was waiting until he had lost the next tooth. You see, he has two teeth that are loose and in our house the fairies are kept hopping with all the teeth that keep falling out, so I figure the tooth fairy was hoping to take two at once. I am not sure if he bought it or not, but he morosely accepted what I said.

I do believe that the tooth fairy must have heard my conversation and felt awfully guilty, because while he was downstairs having breakfast something wonderful happened. His tooth disappeared and the money appeared in its spot.

Cooper went upstairs and shortly after that I heard an almighty shout of delight and he came thundering down the stairs, "He came! He came! The toothfairy came!!"

He showed me the note the fairy had left, and the riches in his hand.

"Super Cooper, I have been waiting for your other tooth! What's happening? Is it stuck? I'll be back when it falls out. Love, Diamond Dan"

I'd like to say that was the end of the story, but it isn't. We still have a delinquent toothfairy. And the sad thing is it is jading my poor little Cooper. The next time the tooth fairy didn't come, Cooper was quite disappointed. Near tears. The following day, again, the toothfairy didn't come. Sad. But kind of accepting of it.

The *third day* - can you *imagine* how that fairy needs to be fired!!! That third day, Cooper told me that he had his dad put the tooth up on the top of the door frame in the hopes that the fairy wouldn't miss it this time. I asked his dad about that. His jaw dropped and guilt swept over his face...

I told Cooper to lay his tooth right on *top* of his pillow. I was sure the fairy would find it this time. I then went about my business. A little later, I found Cooper at the kitchen table.

Writing a Desperate Letter to the Tooth Fairy


This time, Cooper's big brother Dane, came to the rescue. When Cooper said with resignation that the tooth fairy had missed him *again*, Dane got a look on his face and then said, "Isn't it Friday?"

At Cooper's nod of agreement, Dane said, "Well, they don't work on Fridays. Never did."

Cooper looked encouraged. I reassured him that I was sure the tooth fairy would not forget again.

The end of the story is that the tooth fairy *did* come that day, and again, we had a very excited little boy. Now, I am sure that that fairy will be fired and a new one will take his place before the next child loses a tooth and has to wait days!
.

3 comments:

Maria Trochelman said...

awww...bless his heart!

I'm pretty sure when my boys get older we just may have that same delinquent tooth fairy! ;)

Gwen said...

Oh my goodness, I am not exaggerating at all when I say this post made me weep like a baby! Maybe it's my "referral pregnancy" hormones, but I bawled when I read that note! "I love you Diamond Dan" -- what an absolute sweetie! And then Dane's quick words that saved the day... oh Justine, this is the nicest thing I've read in a long time. And I can't believe I'm crying this much over it! lol!

the Melodious Mama said...

lol!!!! I think we might have the same delinquent fairy at our house;)