Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Kids and Dessert



It is amazing what kids will do for dessert! I don't make it as often as they would like. Here is a story of what they will do to get it!

The other day, I had a soup pan that was burned terribly when I left it on the stove at the height of seven, when I went to answer the phone. I then forgot all about it, and came back to a ruined soup, and a blackened pan.

I let it soak for a while; put it on the stove with baking soda and let it burn itself off for hours. Nothing did the trick. It still had a layer of black on the bottom.


That was when I thought about the kids. I was making a Fudge Sundae dessert and planned to give them some. Of course! But I figured it wouldn't hurt to use it as a lever. *evil grin*

I called out the door, "Whoever wants dessert can clean this pan." Or some such thing.

You should have seen the rush! Seriously, they came barreling and raced to get spoons to do the scraping. No convincing them!

I would hear them saying, "Hey, I'm working there."


If someone got in their space. In no time at all I had a clean pan and they had earned dessert. Everyone was happy.

.

7 comments:

Linda said...

Love it, could have really used them when I boiled the beets dry in my favorite pot.

Tara said...

Future reference! You know what else works wonders for getting burns out of pans? Dryer sheets! Who knew?!?! I read it once somewhere and then tried it AND IT WORKS! Put a dryer sheet (or two) in the pan and pour some hot water in it. Not alot of hot water but enough to to cover the sheet and give it room to float up a little. In about a half an hour check it and it should wipe right up! Amazing!!!

the Melodious Mama said...

love it!

Linda said...

That makes me want to burn something so I can try out the dryer sheets. I sure hope I remember that one the next time I forget the pot on the stove.

darci said...

sweet! way to go justine,,that works every time! love it. :)

Linda said...

Going through withdrawal ,how is the house coming along?

the Melodious Mama said...

hey mama,
just wanted to say I miss you guys! Even here in cyber space I've gotten used to seeing you every few weeks. Looking forward to seeing how your house is going and whats new with you busy, beautiful family!
xo