Friday, September 11, 2009

How Does My Garden Grow?

One day I came home and found some flowers in a box on my front porch. I thought to myself, “How kind. Ray brought me some flowers.” I then found out he didn’t even know they were there. *grin* It turned out that a subcontractor that works for him sometimes had dropped them off. I haven't since seen the man, but I aim to thank him. He must have taken pity on my completely bloomless yard!


The next day, I saw him walking around the corner of the house with a garbage can that was cut off about 10” from the bottom. I thought to myself, “How kind. Ray is going to make me a planter.” Never mind the fact that it was a garbage can. It was somewhere to put flowers! I later saw him mixing concrete in it for the base of the house where he is applying rocks. *smile*



The flowers continued to sit there. I have not got a green thumb. I kill what I plant. I plant marigolds and potatoes. Why? Because I have no clue what else to plant. Oh, I have a great eye for flowers. I know what *looks* beautiful! I just have no clue how to create it. Nor do I have desire to create time for that. It is not my love. But I would *love* to have a garden like that


I have seen my sister’s and been envious. But she had enjoyed creating it and that is the key. You usually enjoy putzing and putting these things together. Not I! I would enjoy sitting and looking at one of these beautiful gardens, but I have no inclination to spend my summer creating it.


So, one day my dear, sweet, multi-talented son, Cassidy, offered to plant the pretty flowers for me. He was working on a vegetable garden at the time. A garden that would not be done in time for summer. It was already summer! Oh well. He could have it ready for next spring, when he could simply freshen the dirt and plant it.


Cassidy Let Briton Choose the Order of the Flowers

So now, I have flowers.


And don’t say, “How sad. How pathetic is her garden.” Because I know. It truly is. But at least there are blooming things in my yard. My sister came to see me and she said, “Are those ---- .” And I said, “I have no clue. They are colourful. They are pretty. That’s all I know.” And I do not even know what flowers she suggested they might be! *grin*


I have always wanted hanging baskets, and big container gardens, so when I went to my friend’s house the other day and saw her amazing garden I hired her on the spot. I asked her if she could take on my garden. She will tell my husband and sons where I want the containers built – and she will tell them how big, what design etc. Then she will pick the plastic containers when she is at Costco. She will be the one that tells me to order bark mulch or rock and she will pick and choose the flowers and plants that she thinks will look good. I, of course, will give her my opinion, but based on what she has done at her house, I will trust her judgement.


Dear friend that she is, she was willing to do it for free. What a blessing she is to me. But I so want a garden that I want to give to her, so that she can buy herself something just for herself, as a thank you for her kindness. So stay tuned for next years garden.

.

4 comments:

Becky R said...

I love growing stuff. Some dies, but it is still fun. I especially love all the yummy tomatoes I have been eating from my garden lately. Unfortionately so do the squirrals.

Tami said...

What a blessing to have a friend like that! I need to get to work on my garden. I do great in the spring, fizzle in the summer and feel guilty all fall long! :) I need to get some mums in the ground before it gets too much chillier. Maybe next weekend! :)

Linda said...

Just remember if you plant lots of stuff someone has to be home during the summer to weed and water so it could affect the camping. I have cut way down on containers because my hubby isn't into watering and I like to be at the lake. I did find one very colorful daisy like flower that can withstand drought conditions ie my long vacations but like you I have no idea what it is called. I need to find a friend like yours to come and use my fruit while I am away there are so many plums pears and apples on the ground it almost makes me cry. I am trying to salvage some so canning to day.

Anonymous said...

Hello

Thanks for writing this blog, loved reading it