Friday, September 18, 2009

Children and Their Imaginations

Caveman

One day when I called the children to dinner I could hear a distant thumping sound. Upon investigating the sound I found a puffed up Briton standing by a pile of rubble. It didn't take long to figure out what was happening.

Briton said, "Daniel Boone," as he pointed to the pile of rubble. From below the pile I could hear a thump, thump, thump.

I said, "Are you Daniel Boone?"

To which Briton replied, "No, me yucky man. Daniel Boone here." And he pointed down to the piece of nearly hidden plywood.

Throwing Another Rock on His Pile

Cassidy has been digging himself a hole in the yard. This hole is about 2 1/2 feet deep and big enough for two children to hide in. Apparently, due to all the Daniel Boone stories we have been watching the children had been playacting. Savannah was Mingo, the Indian friend of Daniel Boone, and Briton was the 'Yucky Man', and Cooper was Daniel Boone.

It was really quite funny and surprising to see Briton in charge of the play! He is usually the tagalong and for once he was in charge. I was amazed to find he had covered the hole with the piece of plywood and then proceeded to cover that with all the rocks and logs that were lying around.

It didn't take long for him to let the kids out when I told him to. They were having fun and were right into the act. Of course, Daniel Boone was busy under the ground rescuing himself and Mingo - hammering a hole in the plywood.

Daniel Boone Knocking a Hole Into the 'Prison'


Daniel Making His Escape

Daniel Boone, His Wife, two Natives
.

3 comments:

the Melodious Mama said...

love it!!!

I can't get over Raine's hair!! so long! I betcha Savanah can't wait to have braids too....sweet little ladies!

the Melodious Mama said...

I'm thinking I must just be slow on the uptake....extensions??

Linda said...

What Fun.