Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Old Friends and Reunions

When I was a child I had a wonderful family in my life. I considered the mother and father my auntie and uncle, and the children were as good as cousins. Actually, my mum went to boarding school in England with my Auntie Morag and they were the best of friends, since they were eleven years old.

When we were all babies our parents made the decision to move to Canada. One year, my mother's brother and his wife, and my dad, my mum, and my brother, who was one year older than I, immigrated to Canada. The following year, my Mum's best friend, Morag, her husband, and her three tiny boys followed us.

It was a new beginning for us all. Sadly, we had left our other relatives behind, but thankfully we had these two families.

Over the years we would always spend Boxing Day with these families. Auntie Morag was a huge influence in my life. I loved her dearly. She was the kind of person that always came to any event that was important to me. Auntie Morag and I had a special relationship, and going from what she said to me once, I know it was because she didn't have daughters, and from that we created something very dear to both of us.

At Christmastime, she would listen to my little girl's heart, and would give me that very special something that I really wanted. I remember getting my one and only Barbie at the ripe old age of eleven years. And then there was the year I got the pogo stick! What fun that was!

Sadly, at the young age of 55, Auntie Morag died of cancer. The saddest thing was that when she died we lost touch with her two of her boys. They were all grown-up men, and you know how women are the ones that keep the families together.

Then just before Christmas we had a wonderful phonecall. It was Alastair, her youngest son. He is just one year older than I. It was so odd to talk to someone that I have not spoken to in so many years!! He told me that he, his wife, and their two little girls would be coming our way and would we like to have a visit. Would we!! Oh my!!

When Alastair walked through the door fifteen years fell away and there was my old 'boy cousin'. Yes, he was now in his forties, but seriously, do they ever look old? Or do we just remember our dear friends the way we perceived and loved them when we were children?

Ray, Justine, Alastair, and Dominica


The City Children Enjoying the Country 'Cousins'

And just like Auntie Morag, Alastair and his family came bearing gifts! They had an Olympic shirt for each and every one of us, even Colt, who is living away from home. They also brought the four younger ones the Olympic mascots teddy bears!


It was a wonderful reunion!!! They have the most precious little girls and we had a lovely evening of catching up on all the years that have gone by. They have lived in Poland, France, England, and are now living in Canada. How wonderful to know that our next generation of children can grow up knowing each other. What a legacy to see the third generation still connected after 60 years of original friendship!


Austin and Ailish Having Fun

.

1 comment:

BCMommy said...

That is so cool!!! Isn't it neat to reconnect that way?
I have a similar story I thought you'd get a kick out of!!

My Mum and Dad emigrated to Canada in 1967. In the mid-1970's. my Mum was in a shop locally here, and she heard a familiar accent. She turned and saw a woman and asked her where she was from. She said 'England'. My mum laughed and said, 'specifically where?' She said 'Moreton'. My mum looked at her and said 'what's your name?' Turns out, it was a woman that had lived across the street from my Mum as a young girl. They had a small patch of grass in front of their homes and they used to sit and make daisy chains together, even though my Mum was 4 years older. Since then, they have been good friends and have taken many trips together. Her boys grew up with me like brothers. We lost touch with them when we hit our teens and stopped being dragged along to dinners. The lo and behold, my husband gets a teaching job, and keeps telling me about this guy Andrew, who teaches Gr. 8 as well. For a few weeks, he talks to me about Andrew, and going for lunch and his wife Nicole...I think nothing of it. Then my mum mentions that she told her friend that Dimitri was working at this certain school, and she said their younger son Andrew is on staff! Wouldn't you know, it is my childhood friend! Now my parents laugh that my husband and her son are good friends, and we all hang out socially with our children.

Isn't it funny how these things draw us together???