Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Evolution of a Family Vehicle

This is a repost of a post I did back in February 2008 on another of our family blogs. For those of you who have read it, please read through to see how the story finished. It is neat to see how it played out.

Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Evolution of a Family Vehicle

When Ray and I were newlyweds, we weren't unlike many other young people. We didn't have it totally together when it came to financial decisions. Ray was doing well in his business, and I was still working. So we decided to buy a car. I fell in love with the Daytona Shelby. The one we bought was the Daytona blue. I couldn't find a picture of a blue one to show you. Trust me, this baby had it all: leather, t-roof, heated massaging seats with lumbar support - you get the picture.

My Sports Car (ours was blue)

After we had the car for about 4 years, we had two children. I was managing to squeeze one little guy in his toddler car seat into the back bucket seats, but then along came our newest little guy. The back seat was not set for an infant seat. It was looking clear that we might have to buy a bigger car. I was *not* planning to be one of those people that bought a 'family' car. Why *couldn't* I have a sportscar and kids! It seemed that everyone started with a sportscar and then made the switch to a family car. I did not want to buckle under....

Unfortunately, I soon had no choice. We prayed for a vehicle that we could afford. The sad thing is when our beautiful car was only three months old we had been on a road trip to Winnipeg, when we hit a deer. Man, talk about a shock!! Ray was awful for not wearing his seat belt and just prior to the accident we had stopped to get gas. I had asked Ray to put on his belt and he had done so. I believe Ray was protected that day! I can't imagine how badly he would have been hurt or killed if he had not put on his belt.

Our beautiful car was smashed in the front - undriveable!! We had an adventure though!! *laugh* We were picked up by a wonderful trucker and we drove all the way from Swift Current to Winnipeg (900 km) with this kind man! We listened to my cassette (back in *those* days! *Grin*) of Dolly Parton and Kelly Rogers Christmas songs all the way there. It was a blast. Have you ever sat in the cab of a semi when you expected to be driving a car!!! LOL!! Good thing I love spontaneous situations!! Our poor car was left there in the ditch, until we could arrange to have it towed back home - 1400km!!!

So when it came time to sell our beautiful car it had to be sold for a very reduced price. Of course, ICBC had fixed this beautiful car back to the original state, but it couldn't be sold for a good price.

When we sold it, we prayed for a van. A friend told me about a repo dealer who had a van with a minor fender bender front. It was only 2 years old. We looked at it. It was the same price we sold our car for!!! Our friendly Chrysler mechanic told us that we got the car for basically half price!!! God is good! We were now in the mini van business!! LOL!! And actually, I actually really liked it!! Me, who was never going to sell my sportscar just because I had a family! *smile*

That van became my favourite very quickly. It was a five seater. When I began doing daycare, about 3 years after this, it became apparent that it wasn't going to be big enough to carry daycare kids around in. I checked all the second hand dealers, and seats were going for around the $3000 mark!! I told my hubby I was going to pray for a van seat. I said it would be no more than $500. Very shortly after this, I found an ad in the newspaper from an old lady who had a van, and she did not want the extra seat in the back of her van. She sold it to me, and I had it installed through a RV dealership, all inclusive - under $500!! God is good!!

This van worked wonderfully for our family for another 8 years!! During the course of this time this truck was a "work truck"!!! Do you know what a Dodge Caravan is capable of hauling?? *grin* When we moved to the country, my hubby was not with us. He was still working about 5 hours from us. We had five cords of firewood delivered one fall day. This wood was dumped 200 feet from where it was supposed to be - smack in the middle of the driveway!! I was alone with four children - 8,6, 2, and newborn. So the van got put to use. We took out the van seats in the back and filled the van with firewood. Five cords - imagine 4'x4'x8' - that is *one* cord - I had to move *five* of those!!! Well, my trusty little van was loaded to the gills and then driven to the correct place where my little helpers and I unloaded it.


Living where we did, we didn't have a lot of stores to choose from. I would use the coast trips to stock up. By the time we came home from Costco, Walmart, IKEA, the bulk produce dealers - (visualize 6 - 50lb boxes of peaches) - my van was full!! It was a tight fit, but we got all of our goods and us home.


People were always amazed what I could carry. One day I was driving home from IKEA, and I had two rolled up mattresses, a coffee table, 2 bedside tables, a child's bed, a bathroom sink, two bathroom sink cabinets, (all broken down into packing boxes), plus my regular assortment of food items, Walmart shopping etc, all stashed in the van. I had taken one row of seats out and left a couple kids at home on this trip. As I was driving along I saw this station wagon beside me. As I drove up behind it, I saw a full mattress lying out from the back door up to the front seats. In the front passenger seat was a table. I looked at the *lady* (of course, we are so versatile because we don't have these pickups like guys do and we are not leaving those things behind in the store, just because we don't have a truck - we will make room!!!) driving and I thought, "You go, Sister!!" LOL!!!


When our boys were about 11 and 13 it became apparent that we were going to have to do something. We had a special gift in our unexpected little 6th child!! We would now be so incredibly cramped in this car! Remember, this was a five seater van with an additional bench seat installed. Try to visualize the space in the back row?! *grin* Well, there was about 8" between the rows and the boys had to hop over the middle row to get into the back row! Well, that only lasts so long before they are too big to do that!


That van began having health problems, and while Ray was on the coast, the boys and I prayed and fasted about our van. Ray was being told by the mechanic down there not to drive the van home. It needed major transmission work. This was serious!



When Ray came home, he immediately told me he thought we should buy a new van. He didn't think we should sink any more money into it. This is not a guy who makes impulsive decisions. I knew it was an answer to our prayers. I did my research online and knew exactly what size I needed. It would have to be an Astro van.



We went looking the following day. I had these numbers in my head. It had to be no older than a 2000; no more than $10,000; and no more than 70,000 km.


Now anyone who knows anything about vehicles - as I apparently don't *smile* - knows that those numbers don't match up!

We arrived in the town nearest to ours, and immediately went to a dealership, and saw an Astro that had just arrived on the lot. It was a 2000, 120,000 km and $18,000! Nope! Sorry. I didn't even give the guy a chance to dicker. He called and dropped it to $15,000, but I told him it would have to be $10,000 ON THE ROAD (including taxes) - plus I wanted to have winter tires in that price. I am sure he thought I was dreadfully unreasonable. But I was convicted.


We looked and looked and then we decided to look in the paper for vans. How silly. Right there, all during our long day of looking we had had the paper with us! I had missed the ad before because it said: 1998, 10,000 (thereabouts), 69,400 km. I had bypassed it because all I saw was the year.

We decided to drive out and see this van. It was in a town about 4 hours from us. Well, we quickly saw that God had worked a miracle for us. There was a reason I was so stuck on those unreasonable numbers - because God had a vehicle for us, and He had put those numbers in my head. This van was *technically* a 1998 - BUT it had not been sold until 2000. It had not even left the lot until 2000!!! We bought it, including getting new winter tires (and it came with brand new spring tires!), tax, insurance - for $9,400!!! Every one of my criteria were met.

If you ever have a conviction - listen - it might just be God leading you somewhere!

Here is a picture of our then new van. This one felt huge because it was built for eight, plus had about 18" storage room in the back! Add to that, this van had never left its little town it lived in; it was owned and driven by one lady (a mom); they had every single oil change done and kept all the receipts. It was a beautiful vehicle!!! Add to that, it was my favourite colour - red - and I got it on Valentine's Day. A gift from my hubby! How cool is *that*!


This van has been wonderful!!! It has taken our family on a 10,000 km round trip from BC through many states to Tennesse, and then back across Canada to our home town. It has been to California last year on a road trip with my kiddos and me, and it is about to embark on a Western Canada road trip. We *love* our van.

But.... now our family is expanding. When we began this adoption we made it quite clear that it did not hinge on having a large enough vehicle. We live 10 km from our church and other than that, we rarely drive anywhere as a group. It is usually groups of us at a time. So I knew we could manage going to church in Ray's work truck and my van.

Ray's truck is decrepit. It is nearly 20 years old, looks very beaten up, has 450,000 km, but is also very loyal!! *smile* We have been tossing the idea around of buying my hubby a new work truck. He needs a new one soon.

When we started talking about this new truck for Ray, a possible van for us has also come up. We have talked about buying him a new truck (end of year sales); a second hand one; or just wait til his loyal truck dies. We could save a years worth of interest and save a lot of money towards a new truck if we just wait for a few months or maybe the end of the year.

At the same time, after talking about it alot we think we would really like a vehicle that holds us all.

This kind of began when we were watching Jon and Kate Plus 8. We saw their amazing van and the *headroom*!!! I have a 6'2" son, plus more coming!! This van has a 6' ceiling!! WOW!! But then we looked at the prices. They are about $39,000 minimum! OUCH!


They even have my favourite colour!!!! AAAAWWWWWW!!!

So then we began looking at other brands and they were about $10,000 less. The new ones were so pretty!!

I am not keen on this colour. I love the burgundy one, but I couldn't find a picture of one.

The funny thing is I hear people talking about the vans as being "Geek Mobiles". I don't get it. I think what happens is our hearts change, and they are just maybe 'not there' yet. When I was a young mum with two kids, I wanted the 'Jones' life - the simple, fun life. I didn't have a vision for the future. I was having fun 'now'.

I believe God has used these vehicles as part of His tool in expanding our hearts to more children. When I had three kids and my friends had eight and they had to drive a 12 passenger, I thought they were so lucky. I no longer looked at it as the loss of a sports car. I was far beyond that! I now wanted a fourth child (and didn't believe we would ever have one) and saw that great big van as a beautiful vessel that carried that, "So fortunate family, that was blessed with all those children!!" Oh, if only *I* could have so many children that I would need such a vehicle!

People who think that these are ugly beasts are missing the beauty of what they represent. They don't realize that if we are so fortunate to have enough children to fill one of these vehicles that we are blessed beyond measure!!

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,
The fruit of the womb is a reward,
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
So are the children of one's youth.
Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them." Psalm 127

Whether our children are adopted or born to us, they are a blessing from the Lord!!

I will be proud to be seen in our town with one of these. People will know - here come the ______'s. *smile*

Now we wait. We are praying about it and going to see where God leads. It might be just 'wait'. God will have to provide the funds if we are to do this, that is for sure!!!

Actually, I feel a real 'wait' on Ray's truck and as far as a van for me goes, I feel that we need to hold for even longer. We don't need anything until the girls come home, and so we could go for another year for sure. But now we have begun looking it has been tempting!!

One day our three year old brought us a truck catalogue and he deliberately kept turning the pages until he came to the very attractive burgundy passenger van. Ray and I were at the time sitting talking about pickups. We had a real laugh. Neither of us had shown him this picture. It was surrounded by pictures of pickups. Well, maybe he knows something we don't know! We can only hope!!

So that is the story of how you go from a sports car to a 15 passenger and feel good about it! *grin*

UPDATE:


Ray ended up getting a major deal on a beautiful red, 4x4, crew cab shortbox pickup truck in November of 2008. It was 1 year old and was such a God thing. The story is too long to tell you, but trust me when I say - it was meant to be.


We continued to drive my van and when the girls came home we made do for sixteen months. Finally, in December of 2009, we began talking again about the option of buying a bigger van. Ray told me to go on the internet and see what I could find on Ebay. We did research for about a week and found what we really wanted. Ray settled on a beautiful 15 passenger down in Florida. It was pueblo gold in colour and had 49,000 miles on it, was two years old, and was the only model I wanted: GMC Savanna or a Chev Express (two names - pretty much same vehicle).


The only downfall was the trip and going through customs etc. At the last minute we discovered one other model in Canada that was nearly identical. It is so hard to find a 15 passenger that is not white! The irony is the one we found in Canada was an American import, had 51,000 miles on it, was 2 years old, was pueblo gold, and was a Chev Express! Plus the price was nearly exactly the same. Wow! Confirmation that we were to buy it. Or so we figured.


We headed to the Big City at Christmas and on Christmas Eve we checked out the van and decided to buy it. It was beautiful!! I was a little (lot) scared of driving this van, but it had to be done! We had them detail it and made arrangements to pick it up on Boxing Day.


That night when Ray drove in with it, we all ran out of my sister's house to check out our new wheels. The street lights shone down on it and it looked gorgeous. The funny thing was that way back I had not liked the pueblo gold! I had wanted it to be burgundy - if you read up by the van picture in the post you will see what I said. Now, when we were looking I was *wanting* the pueblo gold. How funny is that. I had totally forgotten about the original post, and my comments on the van. And now, when I was writing about our new van I find what I wrote and how God brought us right back to the very picture of a van - the very model - that I had written and drooled over nearly 2 years ago!!


So without any further ado, here is my new baby. Room for many kids and even friends!



The very funny, (not so at the time) things is that it is *not* pueblo gold. In the streetlight it looked gold. On the paperwork it said gold. When I called the dealership they walked outside and said, 'gold'. But in person it is not gold. No big deal, but I loved the gold. *grin*


I have now conquered my fear of the van and am following all the safety rules for driving a 15 passenger. They are known for not being safe, but if you do your research you will realize there are many factors involved:


1) Do not drive too fast - yes, that means I am driving about 85 km an hour on the freeway. I am okay with that. My children mean more to me than getting somewhere quickly.


2) Keep the tire pressure right.


3) Make sure everyone is securely seatbelted.


4) Take curves carefully and slowly.


5) Have *good* tires. My new van handles better on the snowy roads that my old red van did, but we also paid to have studded good tires put on. They cost about double my old van.


6) Do not overload the van. We will not be using the 15 seats. We will use the three passenger rows, and remove the final four seater row to use the back for groceries etc.


Also, very key to me, why did I insist on buying a GMC Savanna or a Chev Express ONLY?


1) Because they have made more of an effort to make them safe. It is important to have the vehicle, which has the extended wheel base, putting the back wheels closer to the back of the vehicle. This decreases the danger from fishtailing, thus increasing the safety.


This is NOT a GMC Savanna or Chev Express


2) They have padded the ceiling more for safety sake. The problem with 15 passenger vans is that they have simply taken cargo vehicles and turned them into passenger vehicles without taking safety measures to make them more secure.


3) They have added the Stablitrak device, which helps stabilize the vehicle. "It combines anti-lock brake, traction, and stability control systems and helps the driver maintain directional control of the vehicle in most driving conditions." (Chev Express handbook)


These are the things that made me feel comfortable buying this van when there are many reports on the lack of safety in these larger vehicles.


When people comment on our new 'bus', the boys are sure to let them know that it is not a bus, it is a 'limo', and it certainly looks like one. We are very thankful to finally travel as one family!

.



4 comments:

Linda said...

Wishing you many safe adventures in your new limo.

Renee said...

Congratulations on the new family LIMO. I have no doubt whatsoever it will always be filled with love, new adventures and memories to last a lifetime. Excellent! I can just see you driving it now. :)

Heather said...

I found your blog looking up "large family vehicles" - we just bought a Suburban for our family of 6. Your family is beautiful and I hope you enjoy your new van!

the Melodious Mama said...

very nice!! happy adventuring!