Saturday, February 20, 2010

Super Cooper Turns 7

Eight years ago we had four children. We had never discussed having any more, and so I guess we both figured our family was complete.

We headed to Winnipeg for a visit with my husband's family when Austin was 2 years old. While we visited with so many of Ray's relatives, I saw the beauty of the relationships of his large family. There were so many sisters and brothers, aunties, and uncles. It was wonderful for me, a girl coming from an emigrated English family where all I had was my mum and dad, brother and sister. I had always wanted more relatives, but it just didn't happen.

When we came home from our trip I really felt strongly that I would love to have another child. I was pretty sure that Ray was 'done', so it took a lot of courage to ask him if we could have another baby. The reason it was hard was because Ray is a nice guy and I didn't want him feeling pressured to say yes, simply because it would please me. I wanted it to be from his heart.

Finally, my dear friend, Renee, told me that if I didn't tell Ray he would not know what I was feeling, and who knows how he was already feeling?

I picked up my Bible and used it to gather the courage and see if I was feeling that it was what I was supposed to do. The Bible fell open to a verse:

Malachi 2:17 "Has not the Lord, made them one? In flesh and spirit they are his. And why one? Because he was seeking godly offspring. And so guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith with the wife of your youth."

As I read this verse I felt that I needed to approach Ray. But I sat on it and waited. Finally, the next day, I decided to talk to him, but first I took my Bible and read it. As I opened it that night, again I opened to this verse. This was no coincidence! The Bible was not marked to this page. It was not worn to this page. I was supposed to be reminded of this verse. I was being told, Step out in faith and trust Me.

And so I did. And Ray said yes.

When Cooper was born we already had his names picked out: Cooper Malachi Courage. At the time the reason he had Courage as a middle name was because I loved the sound of it, and I thought it was a good thing for any child to have a middle name of Courage. When they are scared and have to face something, yes, they have the Lord, but I felt it was also a strong name for facing situations that called for Courage! Just recently though, someone suggested that Cooper had the name Courage because it took courage to suggest another baby to Ray. Honestly, that never crossed my mind, but yes, it would be a good reason to name the baby Courage. And of course, you know why Malachi.

Cooper was born and he was a wonderful, precious gift. The only thing was he cried. And cried. And cried. And didn't sleep. We tried everything. Took him to the doctor, fed him lots, cuddled him. Anything I could think of. Finally, at seven months, I began feeding him ground rice cereal. Homemade stuff that would stick to the stomach. Wouldn't you know it. He was hungry! We are told to feed a couple tablespoons for a baby's first meal. Well, not Cooper. That child ate and ate and ate. He consumed about 2 full cups of ground rice! And he stopped crying, and he began to sleep. The poor child was hungry! But how could this have been? The doctor nor I had figured this. He was nursing well! But he was simply really hungry.

As you would figure it, this is the child that loves and *needs* food! He is always hungry, and always eating, and not a drop overweight. He must have an incredible metabolism.


More Please?


A Happy Little Ham!

What Is Santa Going to Bring Me?

Cooper is our sweet, loveable little guy. He has a sensitive heart and great big crocodile tears when he is sad. If he thinks that he might have hurt someone his heart breaks. He has embraced his new sisters from the very first day and adores them.

When Cooper had just turned two years old his daddy decided to go visit his mother in Winnipeg. We agreed Cooper should be the one to go. I had just had a baby and it was hard enough being left with five boys as it was, including a newborn. It made the most sense to send the littlest and keep the newborn, 6, 8, 12, and 14 year olds with me.

I didn't say it was an easy decision. I just knew I couldn't do it alone if I had a busy two year old as well as a 3 week old! So I packed his little bag and labeled his little body. Labeled his body, you say? Yessiree! I used a permanent marker and wrote his name and phone number on his back, in case Ray lost him at the airport, or anywhere else for that matter!


This trip was very special because it gave Ray a chance to introduce his mother to another one of her grandchildren, and all of his aunties and uncles got a chance to love on another little baby, since all of theirs were all grown-up.

They had a wonderful trip and of course, Ray made it home safely with my number 2 baby.


Cooper has always been such a blessing. An easygoing, kind little boy. I can't imagine life without him. I would encourage anyone that believes that children are a blessing, to listen to their hearts if their heart yearns for a baby. God *does* provide for His children and He will bless you for accepting one of His little ones. And you will be blessed by your child's very presence!

I have a funny story to tell about this very day. I had laid some rolls to rise by the fire. Cooper sat by the tray and looked, and looked. And then he edged closer, and then a bit closer. I could see he was being very tempted to touch. They looked so very fluffy and soft. He reached out with two little fingers and poked one. It deflated nicely. He looked around, and didn't see anyone watching. So then he popped another one, and another, and another. Until they were all gone. It was hilarious. I had it on video, but sadly that video was deleted by mistake. Such a mischievous little boy! But wouldn't you have also been tempted?


A busy day playing in his room at bedtime! Crashed and fell asleep on the book shelf.

One day, Cooper was planning on running away. See the backpack on his back? Well, as he was on his way downstairs heading out to the big wide world he noticed his little brother needed some help. So he stopped to help his little brother dress.

Cooper and Austin are the best of friends. Little partners in crime.

My Little Copper Headed Cutie
(how could I be expected to cut that gorgeous hair! I have old ladies coming up to me in stores remarking on how beautiful his hair is.)

What Happened To His Teeth!!???


Cooper and His Big Brother

Sound Asleep - All Worn Out


Dane decided to give Cooper swimming lessons when he was three years old. Cooper did amazingly well, until he ventured out on his own one day! We were feet from the beach but he slipped into a drop-off, and it was one of the scariest days of my life. I thought he had drowned! The irony is one of the other very terrifying incidents I lived through was when Dane disappeared at a lake when he was two. One moment he was there (I had just done a head count) and the next second he was gone. We found that he had gone walking up the lakeside looking for a 'friend'!! I thought he might have drowned.

Our unfinished outhouse. By the time we moved away from this house we still had not finished it. It did the trick though!



Our boys were involved in a homeschool play, A Mid-Summer Night's Dream. These three little ones played fairies.



Cooper with his delicious breakfast in Disneyland. He was in his element with a restaurant that served all you can eat!

Cooper was a maniac on the rollercoasters! There was not one that he would not race onto. He loved them all. His big brother learned courage from him.

It was Cooper's best day the day he met Winnie the Pooh! He stood in line waiting his turn and when he saw Winnie the Pooh, he called out, "Hello Winnie the Pooh!" He literally ran right up to Winnie and threw his arms around him! Such a delight.

Cooper turns 4, Cassidy 8, Briton 2

When he was 5, Cooper became a little Beaver in the local scout troop.

The Beginning of Learning to Read

Cooper was a very slow beginner when it came to reading. He could hear the ending, middle, and beginning sounds of words, but I couldn't for the life of me get him to learn his letter names and sounds.

When we began school this September, Cooper was just at the beginning of the Grade 1 workbooks. By the time February came (just after he turned seven), Cooper had completed the entire Grade 1 and Grade 2 years in Language Arts and Math! He is soaring in school and cannot be slowed down. We still have four more months of his Grade 1 year to get through and he is racing through his Grade 3 Phonics books. It is wonderful to see a child take off when they are ready to! Just last night he took a picture book off the shelf and insisted on forsaking me reading to him and Briton, so that he could read a book to his little brother! That is why I don't stress about when they begin to read! They will begin, when their minds are ready to digest that information, and when they are, watch out!

Align CenterWith the Rest of the Short Patrol

Welcoming Big Brother Home For Christmas




We always do birthdays pretty low-key. Years ago, we stopped having a crowd of kids over for the day and began instead to concentrate on spending the day as a family with the birthday child. A few times in their childhood we will do something special or have a few guests over. This was one of the quieter years for Cooper.

Cooper was so impressed when I gave him a pancake shaped like the number 7.

Cooper will always be "Super Cooper". That is a name he acquired a few years ago, and that is just who he is. Happy Birthday Super Cooper!! It is hard to believe you are seven years old. Your beautiful little freckled-face is getting more mature daily, but you will always be my little copper headed boy! I am so glad we listened when God whispered in my ear about 'one more little baby'. We are so blessed to have you.


.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Happy Birthday Cooper!!!!!!!!! Great story Justine another job well done.

dmvoccola said...

Another trip down memory lane! His photos are just so cute I can hardly stand it. It does seem like yesterday when he was born, doesn't it?

Sharla said...

He is such a cutie! It's a very good thing that you listened to that little niggling of God's voice! (and that you had the courage to ask Ray!)

emily said...

Just wanted to say that this post has meant a lot to me. Has me praying now about what it is I hear God saying to me.... thanks a lot!!!