Saturday, February 13, 2010

Self Confidence

The other day I was working on my computer, and Cooper brought me his schoolwork for marking. He approached me with a freckle-faced beaming grin, as he handed me his open workbooks.

"You are going to say, "You are a genius!" he burst out happily.

Obviously, as I mark his schoolwork he has heard me many a time say those very words. It does show us how incredibly important it is to watch what we say to our children. As deeply ingrained in Cooper's heart as those words are, it is just as easy to leave the stain of negative words etched on their little souls. We (I) need to be so very careful to build them up with kind words when teaching them.

Cooper's words reminded me of that. I am very happy to realize that that is the message I have given him - that he is a genius - no matter how smart he is, simply because he is my son and I love him.
.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Boy could Penny ever have used you as a teacher. No matter how many times we told her she was doing well just one negative comment from a teacher and her self confidence went out the window. Once again I say Great job......