Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Blossoming of Savannah

Our children are raised learning to do chores, work hard and contribute to the family. They often get to slack for the first few years, but then by the time they are four they are working hard. *grin* It isn't too hard to run a vacuum, empty a dryer, fold towels, deliver laundry, pick up toys, wash lower windows, or empty a dishwasher. There are many more jobs, as well.

When Savannah first came to us she was the opposite of Raine. Raine had been trained to work, and work hard she did. She quickly jumped in and showed us how well she could fold laundry, run a vacuum, and clean-up the house. I sincerely believe if I gave her the freedom to cook she would have done a fabulous job; she used to cook meals in Ethiopia.

Savannah, on the other hand, had not worked at all in Ethiopia. Her initiation into work was rather funny. One day she told me she would like to go back to Ethiopia, because, "In Eteeopeeah, no work."

I did not relent, and she became a good little worker. As I reported in one of my school reports, "Savannah is a good worker (when I am watching her)." smile.

As time went by, she has worked harder and really learned the value of a job well done. She loves to hear compliments, and lately, I have been able to sincerely tell her that she is acting like a five to six year old girl now. This is the ultimate compliment because when she arrived, she was more like a two to three year old in her choices, abilities, development.

These changes have not come quickly, or easily. Savannah has worked incredibly hard and very deliberately to learn to make her own choices and not to rely on Raine for answers and direction. We had been having real issues with disobedience and poor choices and I felt it was necessary to give them some space from each other.

Prior to the orphanage time, before they came to Canada, the girls had not lived together for a few years. I knew that Savannah was used to being without Raine, and so her decision (conscious or otherwise) to copy Raine in all choices might have to do with her adjustment to a new life. But at the same time, I could see that it was not helping her develop.

One day, I decided that I would give the girls separate bedrooms for a period of time. Raine would sleep in Colt's old bedroom, and Savannah in the girls' bedroom. It was the best thing I could have done. Neither girl had a problem sleeping alone; if anything, Savannah has thrived. Instead of following Raine into mistakes and poor choices, she has had to stand on her own and think through her decisions.

I am amazed at how she has soared! Her confidence and personality have blossomed and she is a delight to watch as she comes into her own. The bubbly little person that we saw in videos in Ethiopia has begun to emerge in a natural way.

She is doing things without being asked and I call her Little Boss Lady when she does this. Simple things like finding the apples out in the basket and she runs to the back and gets more. Or today, when she wanted a bun, she asked me. A while later, I came in the kitchen and found her entering the kitchen with a bag of buns. I asked her about it. She told me there were none in the kitchen and so she had gone to the backroom freezer and got some more. This is huge! Normally, until three weeks ago, she would have come to me and asked me for a solution. Since I had a talk with her and really impressed on her how I wanted her to try harder to think for herself and not just wait for help, or copy Raine, I have seen her step right out and take the bull by the horns. She has become more independent even than her sister!

One day, I came in the laundry room and found Savannah moving the washing into the dryer. She knows this is part of the laundry job, but it would normally be Raine that would lead her to doing it. Since having the girls do more things as part of the family unit, and not exclusively together, I have seen Savannah rise up to the challenge and own things herself. I was very impressed when I found her in here doing this job without being asked.

Having not raised the girls from babyhood, I have not seen many milestones. What is really rewarding is that I can honestly look back over Savannah's time with us and see some real progress. Most of this progress has been in the last three months. And even more of it has been since the girls have been sleeping in separate rooms. It has allowed the independent Savannah to come out.

The other day, I was making cookies in the kitchen, and Briton and Savannah were helping me.

I noticed that Savannah's front tooth was extremely wiggly. Ray had suggested pulling it out the other day, and I was horrified. Ick. What was he thinking? I am so against anything gross. I have a terribly squeamish stomach. Ask my children about how limited the table topics are at mealtimes! It had better be pretty generic, or I need to leave.

So I have no clue where my next suggestion and action came from! So out of character! I turned to Savannah with a dishcloth in my hand, and I said to her, "Savannah, do you want me to pull that tooth out of your mouth? It will be painful, but then it will be gone." She nodded her head and said yes. (At this point, I had no memory of Ray suggesting the same thing to her a week ago!)

I said to her again, "Savannah, do you want me to pull the tooth out. It will be *very* painful, but then it will be gone."

"Yes," she said.

I couldn't believe my little girl who hates shots and ear piercing would be saying yes, so for good measure, so she didn't hate me later, I said to her again, "Savannah, are you sure you want me to pull your tooth out? It will really, really hurt. But then it will be gone."

"Yes," she repeated.

Okay, don't say I didn't warn you! lol What was I thinking? This tooth was sticking out of her mouth at a 90* angle to the ground! I knew she couldn't eat and I was worried she would choke on it.

I took my dishcloth, reached into her tooth, grasped it gently, and lifted it. "Ohhhh," she said with a look of discomfort. I looked at her face, and her eyes said, continue, so I turned the tooth and pulled, and I couldn't believe how easily it popped out! Savannah's eyes opened wide. I think all of our eyes opened wide. The kids couldn't believe I had just done this! I showed her the tooth and then took her upstairs to rinse out her mouth.

A few days later, (today), when she showed me another wiggly tooth, I asked her if she wanted me to remove that one..... No, she said. *grin*

My "Twins"

Savannah keeps on growing! She is almost as tall as Raine.

.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I'm about 40 years too late but could I send you my children to train. I am so proud of Savannah and such cute photos too. Give her a hug for me. Oh and proud of the big brave Mom for pulling the tooth, good job.

Sharla said...

I can't tell you how great it is to read this! When she was here last year, it just seemed like she was holding back and I'm so happy that she's coming into her own and relaxing enough to be herself and that she's showing that independance.

Gwen said...

I didn't know that the girls had lived apart in ETH. What a huge transition for them, huh? It's so wonderful and encouraging to hear about all this progress. They sound like a (big) bunch of great kids, Justine!

natasha salaash said...

I am soooo happy to read this Justine!!! Life is busy and I rarely comment, but this merited something. I am just very happy for you and your daughter.
Natasha