Friday, February 19, 2010

Olympics 2010

The Olympic torch came through our town and so we headed out to town on that cold January afternoon. I have to admit I was more of a coward of the cold than the children or Ray were! They were all happy to stand in the freezing cold weather, while I would have been happy to watch from inside.


They had soup and such at the event and after the torch came through we warmed our insides with some delicious hamburger soup. I was so cold I could barely hold the bowl without spilling it - my hands were shaking that much.

Austin forgot to bring his hat with him and it was very cold, as I said. I tried to keep him warm by wrapping my arms around his head, but it wasn't very efficient. lol. So then I suggested he share Raine's scarf. Colt bought the girls these very long scarves for Christmas and we had said they were long enough for two people. Well, they certainly were! They were about 8 feet long. Long enough to wrap Raine and Austin both up in hers.

The scarf was wound around her neck twice and then around his head and neck and there was still room to hang down!

Our friends had brought the children mascots from the Olympics, but only Cooper brought his with him to the event. He was very happy to get a picture with Mukmuk, his mascot.


And then Raine saw her mascot and they got her picture too.


Because of all the people at the parade and the paparazzi (lol) I had a hard time getting a good picture of the torch runner.


At the end of the afternoon, as I was heading home I realized I was going to see the torch runner leaving town. You should have seen me darting around town in my big van trying to catch up with the guys. I was trying to get ahead, park myself and then line up to get a nice shot. Well, I did a good job of it. Then my batteries died, so I had to open the camera, rub the batteries to give them more juice and then take my shot. Too late! He was behind me.

I took off again around more corners, totally looking like a nutcase I am sure, then I got settled and here he came again. Oh, but now my camera was full! I had to speedily turn it to review and empty some pictures and then try to take my pictures. I wasn't too sure, but hopeful. I did think it was blurry though.

I knew I had one more chance before he headed up the freeway and I was stuck behind him. I darted around Saveon Foods, up a back alley, around a bend and then pulled up to a yield turn at a traffic lights. Perfect. I could see him coming and I was ready.

Oh, but my camera was full *again*! I figured I was done. I sat there waiting for him to pass and then he didn't! He stopped right in front of me. Okay, so I deleted some more pictures and then I decided then and there to shut off my car and jump out. Yes, I know I was parked in a lane on a road. But what the hey! Nobody behind me could drive out anyway. He was stopping traffic in front of me. I was pretty safe.

I jumped out and got ready to take my picture... And then a lady jumped into the road and threw herself up against the runner. The crowd gathered, we all pulled out our cameras, and waited. And waited. And waited.

Finally, in my anxiety to get a decent picture of this once in a lifetime event of a runner running through my town, I said, "Can you please hurry up?" to the guy who was taking her pictures. I am sure my feelings were echoed by those around waiting to take their pictures!

The lady stepped out from her photoshoot and then... the torch went out.

I said, "Are you going to relight it?" Cause he looked like he was done.

No, he said, it was all done.

WHAT? Are you serious! After all my hard work. No pictures! That woman! *grin* I decided to take a picture of him anyway without the lit torch, but seriously! Is that what I wanted! lol


I dejectedly got in my van and headed home, just to find cops shooting past me with lights and sirens. As I turned into my road the great big Olympic bus flew past me. Okay, so that was where this across runner was! I was under the impression these guys ran across Canada. Not drove from town to town and then ran the last feet into and out of town. Very odd.

Happily, when I developed my pictures I was able to see that I did get a decent shot at one of my darts around town.

.


No comments: