Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Harambee Day 5 - Wednesday

DAY 5 – WEDNESDAY

The weather has been up and down. We began with hot, followed by a couple cloudy days, and now we are steaming hot. It is wonderful!

Today was the same as everyday: BUSY!! I am run off my feet. We stay up late the night before, wake up and hit the floor running.Cassidy gives the kids breakfast while I run to the Parent's Meeting. You wouldn't believe how many things there always are to run over in the mornings. I then come running from there to pick up children and deliver them to classes. Many of the classes overlap, so I have to figure out ways to cover babysitting with the four young ones, while I go to my Attachment Therapy classes.

The boys have had oodles and oodles of freetime, so they are not losing out. But I have to tell you I am getting my exercise! And there can't be a nicer way to do it! Running from activity to activity.

Cassidy took part in the World Cup Event as part of the African team.


Then all all the boys and girls did their workshops for Marimba (music), Drumming with Fana, West African Dance, and Hip Hop.

Today was the first time I headed to the beach. I had thought it was farther away, so we hadn't made time for it in our busy first few days. I am so glad we did this day! I had a teen attachment class today and I passed on it so that I could keep the kids at the beach. That was a sacrifice because I CANNOT believe what I have taken from the parenting class for teens!! Parenting classes are a topic for a separate post. That was powerful!


At the end of the day we hurried home to shower up because tonight was MUM'S NIGHT OUT!!! YEAH! I was a little concerned about leaving all six kids alone, but I knew Cassidy was capable. I let Austin have the run of the campground while I was out, and I knew I would be back by 9:30, so Cassidy could go to his Capture the Flag with the youth on the beach. And so off I went!

Austin in a Tree With Friends

It was wonderful. I ended up in a car with a bunch of ladies I did not know. Friendships were formed and it was a great way to make new connections! What I love about camp is that it is not a bunch of 20 year old mums and dads. This camp is *extremely* diverse. There are all kinds of families, and all kinds of sizes of families, how they are built families, and all kinds of ages from young in their early 30's to up to their 50's. And what I love is that my children have learned about all kinds of families and made new friends from all walks of life. And when you consider that there are 60 families here, you should be amazed to see that I have not heard children fighting *anywhere, anyhow*. New friends have been made and old connections have been rekindled.


After I came home, Austin had fun taking off with his friend’s and watching a movie on a friend’s laptop. They have set up a small movie cinema in front of one of the cabins. And then after Cassidy came home I went across to the fire that they have set up on the South Side. It is great fun. We all sit around and gab, while the little ones sleep nearby. The chips and drinks are passed around and it is a nice finish to each day.



.

4 comments:

Hi from Ruth! said...

OK, I have an unrelated question. You're using blogspot for your blog; how do you do that little collage thingee of pictures in the middle of your post?? I'm on blogspt, too, and have no idea how to do that. It's great!

Camp sounds awesome and I'm envious of the parenting and attachment workshops. I don't know who the organizers of the camp are but I sure wish they'd come to Manitoba and do the same thing!

Ruth

Unknown said...

Making those collages is so simple. You go online and download Picassa 3. In there you upload your photos, hit Create Collage, mess around with your choices of collages and then save it to your computer in a file that you can access later.

On blogger you simply browse for photos to the place you chose to save your collage to, upload, and voila!

Hope this helps. :o)

Justine

Linda said...

So glad everyone had such great time. I am really enjoying your posts.

Hi from Ruth! said...

Thanks for the collage info, Justine - I'm going to try it!!

Harambee sounds like it was totally awesome - what a week!

BLessings,

Ruth :)