Saturday, September 27, 2008

HAPPY 5th BIRTHDAY MESAI



Today was Mesai's official 5th birthday. We were not too worried about doing this birthday in 'big' fashion, since we are still in hibernation. I did want to acknowledge her day though, so that she could move on and be five. I didn't want her to suddenly be five and have no knowledge of what she was before this.

Therefore, we made sure she knew she was four. On Saturday morning, I told her that today was her birthday. She would be five today. This time she accepted it with no expression of disbelief. I am not sure she knows what it means because later in the day, when she found a piece of paper that said Happy Birthday, she said, "What this? What Happy? I don't knoooow Happy." It was very cute.

Once I had explained to her that it was her birthday I had her help Cassidy blow up some balloons. We did very little this year in the way of decorating - it really was an impromptu decision to have her birthday. Next year, we will go all out.



Then it was time to get dressed.

Mesai's little cap of curls is growing by the day!! They are almost complete curls now. She loves to point out to me that she has bangs, just like Mummy. She will touch her bit of hair that now escapes the front of her headband, and then touch my bangs and say, "Mummy." Yes, we both are looking more and more alike. *big smile*

Gadisae still has her little mohawk; soon it will grow down the sides, but in the meantime, I add the cream to both of them and they love that. It can only help the health of their hair.

In the meantime, we also decided to have my parents come over to officially meet their granddaughters. The girls had been so out of it at the airport, when they arrived that my parents didn't really get to meet them. Then we were in hibernation and then they went away for a while, so all in all, we have been home for five weeks and this was to be there first real meeting. I was pleased to see how they wanted to meet them and hug them.

That might sound natural to you, but I have heard too many people who have had to wait for parents to warm up. My parents have been on board since the beginning, but I think they were a little concerned for what this would mean to us: extra bills (read 8 kids! 1 income), medical concerns, adjustment etc.

I dressed the girls and got them ready and then my parents arrived and it was the meeting. It was so wonderful to see the "Grandad look" on my dad's face. He looked just like he does when he sees his beloved Grandsons. And my Mum looked just as joyful.

First Glimpse - See Grandad's Face

They were very good about not overwhelming the girls. My dad sat back and let the girls come to him. My mum 'broke the ice' so to speak, by leaning forward and calling the girls by name. The girls warmed up immediately. Gadisae sat with Grandad, but Mesai was not ready to be too social, so she sat with Ray.

What was wonderful to see was that right as my parents were leaving she said she would like to hug them goodbye.

Chuffed With Her New Beautiful New Granddaughters

Meeting Grandad

Meeting Granny


Playing Hand Games With Grandad

You should have seen Mesai open this first gift. She was so careful with the paper. When she accidently ripped a tiny piece on the paper, she whispered, "I am sorry." I think she thought she figured she wasn't supposed to rip the paper.

It almost felt frivilous to go on and give her a second gift. Why do we feel the need to give so many gifts? She was very happy with her one gift. Well, as it happened we did not over do it. We only gave three presents to her, plus my parents. But even so, that felt unnecessary, because she was so pleased with her first small gift.

Look at the Delight on Her Face

New Pink Jammies and Slippers


Miss Particular - Blowing Out One Candle at a Time

Next we did the cake. First, I walked into the room with the lights down and Mesai's eyes closed. Everyone sang Happy Birthday. I told her to open her eyes and put the cake in front of her. She smiled so big. When we told her to blow out the candles it was the funniest thing. She very gently blew and out blew one candle. She then looked towards my mother as if to say, "What? More?"

"What Is This?"

Her routine question for what she doesn't understand. As each subsequent candle blew out we would all say, Blow again, and she would oblige. At the end, she got an applause. *smile*

Happy Girl

Birthday Girl and Her Family

Oh, "Poor Briton", His shoes were on the ground. They weren't even *his* shoes!! *laugh* He was wearing a beat up old pair of Cooper's shoes, and I did *not* want them in the shot. So the poor guy (sarcasm) just couldn't smile for the picture! Life is over - no shoes.

And by the way, what is it with teens?!!! Arggghh!!! I canNOT get them to smile for pictures. You would think I was torturing them or something. Trust me, you will see more pictures of the group and they WILL be smiling - I will have to change my tactics.... *grin*

10 comments:

Nikki said...

Happy birthday Mesai :)

Corrie said...

Happy Birthday Mesai!!!!

Linda said...

What a nice Birthday, not sure where you shop but you find the most beautiful little girl outfits. I'm sure you have been waiting a long time to dress little girls so get a lot of joy out of finding just the right thing. I find myself looking everywhere I go at girls clothing. My youngest grandson turned 14 yesterday, lots of Sept. Birthdays in our family. I'm glad Mesai enjoyed her day.

Linda

HomoHausfrau said...

Happy Birthday, Mesai!

What a beautiful cake, and the girls look so gorgeous in their dresses!

Mesai's hair is growing quite nicely! It's amazing what a little TLC will do! ;)

Unknown said...

She must have had a wonderful day! Felt so special and loved. I wonder if the staff at TH ever Sing happy b-day or anything to acknowledge the childrens birthdays?

Sharla said...

Happy Birthday Mesai...your first one in Canada with your new family!

Cara said...

The pictures are just lovely. A very special day indeed. Happy 5th Birthday to Mesai!

dmvoccola said...

It was almost as good as being right there at the party! So glad your folks got to finally spend some time with the girls. I can't imagine how it must feel to live these experiences for the first time at their ages.

I really loved the picture of Briton!

emily said...

What a beautiful day. I think you are very wise in the way you chose to celebrate it simply and yet focused on the things that really matter like family.

Happy Birthday Mesai!!!

carrie said...

Happy 5th Birthday Mesai!! Glad you had fun.

Carrie