Sunday, July 25, 2010

Harambee - Day 8 - Heading Home

We had to be out of the campground by 11:00 am, but I figured it wouldn't stop us from spending the day at the beach!

Cassidy and I took the trailer down. I am impressed because I am learning how to do more than I expected. Cassidy is a wonderful helper and we worked as a team backing the van up to the trailer and attaching it. One new lesson learned!


Once we left the campground we began heading down to the beach. I still wasn't very confident in turning around and so, when I realized I was heading in the wrong direction for being able to get into and out of the parking lot, I decided to drive through the campgrounds horseshoe driveway, so I could turn myself around. I was pretty impressed. It was a tight squeeze, but I managed one more thing.

When we got to the beach I found a nice wide open spot to park. There was a huge orchard right by the parking lot and we had heard it belonged to the centre where we had stayed, so the children and I picked some berries for the road.

About four o'clock I knew we really had to hit the road. The plan was to drive home via Vernon and avoid the Coquihalla Connector. It turned out to be the best plan! The drive was similar if not shorter in length and very pleasant!

We even managed to find a trailer sewer stop to clean out the tanks! Boy, were we learning skills!

Once, we hit Vernon we all agreed that it wasn't such a bad drive and we were willing to drive on to the next town. It would be a late night, but we knew that we could park in Walmart and once again, there was a great big parking lot where I was sure to be able to drive in and through with no backing up. Speaking of backing up: I actually did learn to do this and have gotten pretty good, if I do say so myself. I got into a couple of accidental tight spots and had to work my way out, so I am beginning to get better.

Once we got to the town we wanted to camp at I decided to take the kids to the McDonalds with a Play Place. It is rather funny cause my children have never been in one of those since we discovered pee in a slide about fourteen years ago!

But the kids had been so great, and it was too late to unload the bikes to ride around in the Walmart parking lot, so I figured this would be a fun nighttime treat. It took driving through two McDonalds before I found the right one.

When I entered I saw the sign said, Play Place Closed. I asked them about that and my disappointed face must have spoken volumes because one young man said he would ask the manager. He came back and told me it was just fine to go in; They had just cleaned it.... How perfect was that for *me*!!

All To Ourselves at 10:00 PM

When I ordered the dinners they told me pop was $1 for all sizes. I ordered Cassidy a small pop, instead of a larger one, cause I don't like them drinking pop and we had had our fill when we were camping. He was quite pleased when they delivered a large by mistake! So here he is getting every drop out he can!

It was 11:30 PM before the kids had their fill of fun and then we headed out to our parking lot for the night. It was a hoot! You should have seen all the people sleeping there! There must have been fifteen different forms of campers, trailers, vans - anything that you could travel in. And it wouldn't have surprised me to see people sitting beside them in lawn chairs - that was how comfortable and set up the 'homes' looked!

The next morning we were woken to the pleasant sounds of people arriving in our 'yard'. I loved it! I have found my way to travel for free across Canada or America! I can drive all day, and that will charge the batteries in my trailer. Then at night time I park in Walmart, buying whatever I need from them. Then when our tanks need emptying we simply pull into a tank emptying location. How cool is that!

And if I don't have orange juice to go with the bacon and eggs, we can simply run into the store and get some. How convenient is that! And then if we stop early enough the children can unload their bikes and have some wonderful biking fun in the empty evening parking lot!
.

1 comment:

darci said...

what a blast! my folks love walmart parking lots, although they sleep in the bacdk of their van! head on out to saskatchewan on your next road trip! :) darci