Monday, July 19, 2010

Could You Adopt Monroe?

Note: IMPORTANT ADDENDUM ADDED AT BOTTOM.

I could not help but pick up this post to put on my blog!! I know a boy with a medium form of CP and he is a wonderful boy! He was a friend of my oldest son's before he moved to another town.

When I was a girl I read a book called: Karen. It was about a little girl who was born with Cerebral Palsy. Her parents were told she would never walk. She taught herself to walk using a lawn mower. It was an amazing inspirational book!! It was so loved by the public that they received so much feedback that they had to write a followup called: With Love From Karen.

If you want to be inspired by a child with CP do a search for those two books. In the meantime, please help find an adoptive family for Monroe!

Please pass this on to anyone you know. If you read below you will see that a benefactor has come forth and offered a grant of $20,000 to help cover the $24,000 adoption costs.


This little cutie has a FULL GRANT! $20, 000!!!

He is set to be transferred to a mental institution in just six months. He cannot be adopted from there and will live out the rest of his life in a crib. Children adopted at this age have tremendous potential to grow and develop once they have the love and nurture of a forever family! Please consider saving this adorable boy.


BOY, Born February 4, 2005

SIGNIFICANT RISK, PLEASE ADOPT ME SOON!!

Monroe is a sunshine of a little boy! He is already 5 and blessed to still be at the baby house. He needs a family right away!

From a missionary who visited with him in June 2010: I met with the doctor in his Groupa House who brought me back to meet him. The Head Doctor wanted me to meet the children who needed equipment. While measuring him for a chair, she explained to me what was more important was that he get a family. He will be traferred in six months to the worst institution, restrained in a crib in a dark room. She broke into tears! Monroe has spastic cerebral palsy in all four limbs and is globally delayed. He is able to recognize the voices of his careworkers and understand simple directions. However, due to his spasticity he is unable to do much of anything. No speech. With therapy he can improve but will always have limitations. I measured his head circumference and once home will check with a doctor regarding whether or not he is microcephalic as well. I will try to gather more information on him today. His temperament was sweet and his eyes twinkled. He needs a family fast!

From an adoptive family who visited with him in June 2009: Monroe has CP. It appears that he is unable to use his arms and legs and is not sitting up on his own. He has the most beautiful smile and I don’t think there is much of a cognitive delay. He loves to be held and his whole face lights up when you come near him.”

*** Monroe has an incredible benefactor who has offered a FULL GRANT of $20,000 for his adoption. He is facing imminent institutionalization, and will regress quickly once he is transferred. Families who are qualified (www.reecesrainbow.org/newfamily.html) to adopt internationally and who are approved to adopt a significantly delayed child should contact Andrea bamaroberts@comcast.net for more information. This is a very fast program and it is very possible to have him home before the end of 2010! ***



  • Married couples only may apply
  • No more than 45 years between parent and child
  • No stated family size restrictions
  • Total with travel approx $24k
  • Both parents for 2 1/2 weeks to attend court
  • Both parents return home for 3 weeks
  • Only one parent must return to complete the adoption for approx 14 days
  • We are looking for a family with a completed international homestudy approved for a child with severe special needs.

    ***Please help spread the word about Monroe. There is time to save him from living the rest of his life in an institution! ***


    I also want to point out something else. We live in Canada, land of the free and equal rights etc. Right? Well, it doesn't mean it is (or was) always that way. I know a personal story like the one above. My sister-in-law has spent the last 25 years doing daycare for a girl named Carla. This girl was only supposed to live a couple years, but she outlasted the doctors' estimates. When she was born, she was born with severe medical and mental issues. She was put into a crib in a mental institution in BC, where she languished for about ten years. During this time, she dug out one of her eyes. At some point, and I don't know how this came about, she was moved into a foster care situation. My goodness, what a situation!!!

    This family loved Carla. If you could have seen this girl: drooling, definitely looking like she had cognitive issues, not speaking, , blind, laughing a little crazy etc. But they loved her. My sister-in-law was offered to take care of this girl (about 11-12 years old now) while the family worked. This was supposed to be a temporary situation.

    My nephews were born and grew up knowing Carla. The girl who sat on the couch with her hair falling on her face, who would giggle at what seemed to be nothing, and who allowed the boys to crawl on her and touch her. They grew up knowing Carla was part of their lives. Everywhere they went Carla followed, head dropped low over her chest, hair hanging in face, (I could never see her face), wearing clothes that were often too big and unfashionable, with a face that was really a little frightening because of birth defects and damage inflicted from her years in a crib. My sister-in-law was *never* ashamed to have Carla with her. Carla was (and I believe still is) a part of the family. Often times, I would see my sister-in-law piggybacking Carla because it was the easiest and fastest way of getting her anywhere. If you could have seen Carla, you would know that it took unconditional love to look after her.

    I wonder why Carla, who showed absolutely no brain function is still alive and is now about 40 years of age? I wonder if it could be the love that she has been shown by not one, but two families?! Yes, I do believe that is the reason. The doctors can't explain it. And it wasn't just taking care of her. It was truly love. How unusual to have not only a foster family, but also a *daycare* that loved you that much!

    So what about a little boy like Monroe? I wish I were in a place where I could do it, but I know my family limitations, but I know there is a family out there that could fit Monroe in. Please feel free to cut and paste this article and Monroe's pictures to try to find him a loving family.

    .



    3 comments:

    Linda said...

    Such a sad story, breaks your heart.

    Sharla said...

    I've seen him on Reece's Rainbow and there is something about his smile and a brightness in his eyes that just makes you believe that there is potential there. I pray that he is able to find an adoptive family.

    Hi from Ruth! said...

    Heart-breaking.

    Ruth