Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Blessing in the Wilderness

Last year, I had the pleasure of meeting a lady in my neck of the woods. My mother had told me about this lady, as she figured I might be interested in meeting her, since she had 10 children. I was too insanely busy with my then small family of six children. *smile* So time went by, and I didn't call her. Finally one day, I came across her email address in my mailbox and felt I should email her. So I did.

That was the beginning of a new friendship. Due to her having a baby (#11) and us adopting our girls, we only had a couple visits over the course of the last year. Then about 2 weeks ago, our friendship was revisited, when I ran into a friend of hers here in my town. We got to talking and I decided to email Alice.

But first I should tell you why I connected with this wonderful lady in the first place. I had six children and it is not often you find people that welcome a large family for visiting purposes. When I met Alice, I found her to be easy-going and so encouraging!! She had raised four children to adulthood (responsible adulthood!) and had six more at home, plus she had 2 teenage boys, plus a crowd of little ones. How perfect for me with two big boys and all my little boys! Plus, she homeschooled and most importantly, she shared our faith.

The first time I was to visit her was in the middle of snow season. And out here where I live snow season can mean unplowed roads and very hazardous conditions. But believe me, nothing was going to stop me from visiting a like-minded lady!

I knew I was heading '20 minutes' out on a dirt road, but once I hit the snowy road I had no idea how far 20 minutes was. Twenty minutes is relative to how fast you are driving!! LOL! So I unknowingly shot past her road and headed way too far. On my return trip, I found her road, made the turn and headed up the very deep snowy hill in my minivan. I quickly realized I would not make it, so backed down the hill with the intent of going at a quick lick back up the hill. I successfully backed myself into the side of the road - into a 3' high snowdrift. My bumper got wedged and my rear right wheel was off the ground! Oh yeah!

So, I spent the next hour or more digging with sticks and putting branches under my car trying to get out. Once out, there was no way, no matter how determined I was to meet this lady, to go up that hill again.

Sad to say, that was a year ago, and it was a further 12+ months before I had the opportunity to attempt that road again.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. I contacted Alice and she immediately invited me over on the Thursday. I piled the kids in my husbands 4x4 and headed out on the snowy roads. Yes, here we are again at the most inopportune time to drive the roads, but I was excited! So off we went.

As I headed out on the directions she had given me, I suddenly realized she had given me the '20 minutes on the dirt road' information again. Oh no! What was 20 minutes!! LOL!! Thankfully, I was a little more familiar and we did fine. It was actually 14 km to her turn, and I made sure to let her know, as she was not aware of this. I figured it might save further pioneers who were coming her way. *grin*

For the first time I headed up the little road off the main road. It didn't take me long to realize I was going to have to boot it up the hill and not stop! The road was only as wide as my truck; where was I going to go if a car/truck came from the opposite direction? If I had gone inches to the left or right I would end up in the snowdrift!

This is the more widened out part of the road. This is one car wide. Some of it through the woods is even tighter!

I got to Alice's and we had a wonderful visit. It turns out that every Thursday three other ladies descend upon Alice with their children. Between all of us there are a possible 21 children! Most times I will only be bringing one of my oldest children, and often Alice's boys are tied up also. Minus a wee baby the rest of the children are equally shared out boys and girls from 4 - 12! It is wonderful!

The children played for two hours, while we mums sat and chatted homeschooling, adoption, and parenting. It was so refreshing. And the wonderful thing is this is a home where the conversation is uplifting, because as you know too often when you get a bunch of women together the gossip can begin to fly. Not so here! It was an absolute blessing!

To top it off there were three children with birthdays that week! My son did not come, so he was not part of the party, but two children turned 4 and 8, so we had cake and icecream. You would not believe how calm and well-behaved this crowd of fifteen children were. So pleasant!



Part of the Drive to the Wilderness Encouragement Meeting

You should see the wonderful splashes when we drove through these 'puddles'. We had to drive fast, cause I was not planning on getting stuck! When we got home, Ray saw his truck and said, "I see your mum has been mud-bogging!" And guess what? Tonight he arrived home with his truck nice and clean and I said, "What were you thinking? I am going to Alice's tomorrow!" LOL!!

Anyhow, the following week, Alice decided to do Purim. None of us are Jewish, but as Christians we can certainly appreciate the meaning of this special celebration. Alice did a fabulous job of telling the Bible story (complete with props) of Queen Esther, with evil Haman, and good Uncle Mordecai. The children had the fun of booing and shaking shakers everytime Haman's name was mentioned.


My Sweet Little Niece Standing in the Middle
(she was visiting that week)

Me with my "twins" in the Far Corner, and my sister, in the chair with her older daughter.


After the story, we had the Purim feast! And at Purim you are supposed to eat, eat, eat, and drink, drink, drink. So we did! And the children loved having their seconds and perhaps thirds? Icecream sundaes, brownies and icecream, white cake, Purim cakes, and my good old *not* Purim food, Rice Krispie squares. Next year, I'll be a little more traditional. *smile*

The children also were encouraged to dress up as any of the characters if they wanted to. They have a Little House on the Praire cabin (as do we!) and a tee pee, (which we also used to have!), and the children all enjoy dressing up. So I have asked for a sewing machine for my birthday. I own one from my highschool graduation, but it is rather decrepit and on it's last legs, so it is time for a new one. I already own a serger, which I took in this week to get an overhaul on (due to small boys fiddling with it when it was in the attic).

We shall be beginning to sew, so that we can make costumes! Little House dresses, Indian costumes, Daniel Boone costumes, Pilgrims and Settlers. What fun! And I know that all my children will want to sew, so we are going to have fun!
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is quite the road you travelled and man you got a lot of snow this year. It looks and sounds like a wonderful time was had by all. Friends are so valuable and you can never have too many. I hope you are able to continue your treks and that Ray's truck survives the spring thaw. Once again, great post.

Mamato2 said...

Sounds like you guys should have a reality show!