Saturday, March 21, 2009

My Little Worker Bees

When the big boys are away the work falls more to the little ones. Training them up early is something I have long believed in. Way back to when Colt was tiny. And it is certainly paying off! I no longer cook seven days a week. I now cook twice a week! Love it!

Making a Blueberry Crumble

Cooper (6) and Austin (9) made the complete dinner on Saturday. Austin made the stroganoff and then proceeded to teach Cooper how to peel potatoes. So now, Cooper is the potato peeler on Saturday to go along with Austin's stroganoff. He is very proud to be able to be Austin's helper!

It is very important to teach children skills because they so want to help! If you harness this desire when they are young and willing, they will learn so many skills! And before you know it, by the time they are thirteen and wanting to do other things, they have learned all the basics to run a home: run a washing machine and dryer; cook a number of decent meals; bake cookies, muffins, breads; mop, vacuum, and thoroughly clean bathrooms and so much more.

My children enter their kitchen 'real' cooking training by the time they are nine and by the time they are fifteen they could feed a family and run their own home. And by this time, they have begun working for their dad learning all about construction. They begin in this trade slowly with a few hours here or there from the age of 11 on.

By eighteen, our son will be able to build a house on his own. My husband recently said that he works better than most men he knows. And this word of appreciation is not just spoken by my husband, but by every man who has worked with Colt. So, by the time the boys are leaving home they have a trade to fall back on from all the years on the construction sites.

On our Saturday clean, the children work hard and most of the house is cleaned by them. They all have their areas and know how to do them well. Because they have worked on their designated rooms for so many months, I no longer have to guide them through the work. I simply tell them what needs to be done and then check on them.

Cleaning the Painting Easel

Raine is my main laundry lady. She is the Laundry Boss. She already knows how to load the machine with her clothes, add the correct amount of soap and run the washer and dryer. She takes her job seriously and her little sister is a great assistant. When it comes to laundry folding, Cooper, Savannah, and sometimes Briton, work with her.


She wears the title Laundry Boss with great pride. She even has her baseball cap with the words "The Boss" on it. There is such a difference between boys and girls!! I go and answer the phone and come back to find two little girls folding laundry, so nicely. And then I see the boys. Oh, but I heard them, while I was on the phone! They were romping and wrestling and carrying on!

And of course, a pair of ripped underwear makes a great object to dress up in, doesn't it!


Makes a Great Mask!

Notice the Two Diligent Workers Behind the Cadet?


Cooper is such a little gentleman! He saw his sister beginning to carry the vacuum up to her bedroom and he immediately jumped in and offered to carry it for her.
.

4 comments:

emily said...

I love this Justine!!! Your kids are awesome! I love how they love to help. And it is so true, all little kids love to help so you are right.... harness it when they are young!!!

Anonymous said...

This is so cool, I obviously went wrong somewhere but mine were able to fend for themselves by the time they left home. Their Dad on the other hand still can't fend for himself so it is a good thing his daughters live close by. I enjoy your photos and posts so much. Thank you for taking the time.

BCMommy said...

Wow, can you come train my boys!!!! You obviously work very hard to run your home, and your kids are blessed to have a mom who is getting them so ready for 'life'. Your son's wives will owe you a debt of gratitude! My hubby still can't cook more than toast!
Claire

Unknown said...

Honestly, Claire, neither can my husband *grin*, which fueled my desire for my boys to know how to help their wives. Last night I had worked with the boys all day and there was no dinnner (too busy to make dinner!) and I gave my husband four choices: KFC, Chinese, Pizza, or he could make dinner. *grin*

He first said Takeout, but only as a joke as he knew we couldn't afford it. So then it became pancakes, simply because that was fast(ish) and simple!

My brother is not much better! And as far as training goes, I tell Raine when she does her helping in the house: What a fine wife you are going to make!

And she likes those comments as they build her up.
.