Monday, March 9, 2009

Skiing 2009

I took the boys skiing for the first time this year. It was a blast!!

My Boys

I took Cooper, Austin, Cassidy, Dane and Colt. I didn't want to take the girls until next year when they were stronger and ready for a long, cold day on the mountains. I knew that the boys would tough it out and didn't think the girls would be ready for it. Briton might have been and if it weren't for the girls, I would have taken him this year. I might try him in March if I go again. But then I have to be willing to hang on the bunny hill and I'm not sure if I want to do that this year, given Ray won't be there to help with the other kids.

The girls looked at all the pictures and said they want to wait til next year. Raine is not sure about the little sticks you have to ski on; Savannah is pretty interested - tough girl that she is! *smile*


Big Brother Helping


I left the younger 3 at home with Ray. I was impressed how fast Cooper got up on the blue hills!


The green are the easiest hills and they still require the big 3 seat chair lift to get up there. It was a challenge moving myself forward and getting him in line for the chair before it swung around the corner to scoop us up!

Top of the Mountain

All morning, Austin was bugging me to take them on the blue hills. I thought Cooper and Austin weren't ready for those, so I waited til after lunch. One green run, and then I said Yes! Well, that was a blast!


Colt and Dane spent most of the day off on their own, and Cassidy hung with me a fair bit. At first, I allowed him to go with the big boys, but later realized he was not in their level, so he was not having much fun.

Later on, we were all skiing together. That is what I love about skiing. It is such a family event!! Cooper, being so small, had no fear and would just listen to my direction and follow me down the hill, zig-zagging as we went.

Zipping Down the Mountain

Before long, he was down at the base waiting at the chair lift before I even got there!!! That reminded me of the days of skiing with Colt when he was 4 years old. He always beat me down, too!

Waiting For Mum

Cassidy, was more cautious. But I should have realized this would be the case because he was always a cautious child in anything! But he had lots of fun anyways. We will be going skiing again, tomorrow. I am hoping to go weekly til the end of the season.


We had so much fun that we went again the following week. This time, Cassidy had improved hugely, which was wonderful. I didn't have the bigger boys, so it was a bit of a challenging day keeping everyone together.


At one point, I didn't collar Cooper as I slid off the chair lift, and as I turned around (once I was off the lift) I saw him dropping to the ground from the now rising and returning chair lift. His skiis dropped off and Mr. Cheerful took it like a pro: Up he got and off he skiied with a smile.
.
Breaking for Lunch
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like every one had a lot of fun and the little guys are so brave. Way to go. I wish I had learned to ski but the lifts always scared me silly. Enjoy, it looks like winter is here for awhile we even got snow today.

Anonymous said...

fun!

Michelle said...

Your children are braver than I am. :)