Sunday, March 21, 2010

And He's Off

Briton is now an accomplished skier. He has been up two more times since his second trip. On his third trip he did the two green hills very comfortably, and didn't have to sit out any runs. The third trip was the teller!

We hit the slopes at 10:00 am and by 3:30 we had done around 15 runs! He was able to get off the chair and make it to the bottom in 5 - 10 minutes!

One of Briton's first runs through the 'Fire Place', as he called it. This was an easy green hill, but still a challenge for a new skier.

There was one time at the end of the day when I said we were going to take a certain run, and two of his brothers said they didn't want to make the run because it was too difficult.

Well, his first time down he did do part of it on his back. Actually, it was very steep and as he came over one hill the following one was very steep, and I was a bit worried about him. I was calling to him to, "Go wide," but he didn't really take heed, and came down a little too straight. In doing so he gained a lot of speed, and slipped and slid on down the hill past me. This ski instructor (who I *thought* would try to stop the flying child from passing him) said to me, as I skied up to where Briton had come to a rest, "I thought he was going all the way down."

Uhh huh...

The next time down the hill the same ski instructor was on the chair lift bypassing us, and I had the pleasure of knowing he was watching as Briton took the entire hill without a slip or fall. And I forgot to mention, this was an Intermediate hill - a blue hill.

So he is doing *very well*!

He did have a couple crash and burns on Day 3....

How did he get so far from his first ski? He kept skiing on one foot before he lost that one, too!

With Recovered Skies

After Another Face Plant

At the beginning of Day 4, it was rather interesting. He came around the corner after the chairlift and it was rather icy, as it was so early in the morning. He slid too far to the left and took off an enbankment and hit a tree. Sounds dramatic, doesn't it?

Thankfully, it was just a 5 foot slip down to a baby tree. grin

As He Slid Down the Slope Into the Tree


"I'm Okay, Mum!"


Attached to the tree and trying to figure out how to get back up the slope.

His skies are crossed in the front, and he had a hard time turning himself around, lying down, and flipping his legs over before I could haul him on his stomach back up the hill!! LOL!

We spent the morning on the green slopes, and then after lunch Briton and I hit the blues. These are the Intermediate slopes. I was impressed to see he had figured out how to make minor turns, so not to rush down the hills. This meant he was pretty much able to do any of the blue hills.

Ready For His First Intermediate Hill

Heading Out on the Blue Slope Mountain


And He's Off!

Nearly a Crash and Burn

Lunch Time


Briton got stuck on a flat spot, so kind brother, Cooper, came along and gave him some gentle pushes until they got to a slope. Last year, Cooper was the beginner. This year he is a novice.

He is now doing crazy things like skiing off the beaten path, among the trees and jumps! Next year we are hoping to put the boys (and girls) in a ski school for ten weeks in the winter. This is a ridiculously priced school for $18 for 4 hours of lessons!

We had an excellent day and we have one or two more to go this season. Sadly, our season is not as long as some areas, plus our schools payments for skiing are almost all used up.I have to say, though, I am glad that I didn't try to take on another new skier this year. I think I went farther with Briton than I would have done trying to care for two or three small children who couldn't ski. Next year, we will have the girls up skiing as well, and then it will be a full family event!
.

1 comment:

Linda said...

So neat that you can do this with the children, Briton must be so proud of himself, what a confidence builder.