Saturday, March 27, 2010

Boys and the Kitchen

I am so thankful to have boys that can cook! And don't blink when they are called on to make dinner.


Last year I had a menu where each of my boys had a day or two a week to make dinner, but this year my schedule and menu was such that I didn't really get this started again, so I have been cooking a lot by myself.

On Saturday this last week, though, I was very busy with programming some schoolwork into the computer, so I called on My Three Sons. They were told they were responsible for dinner; they could choose what they wanted - it just had to be done.

It was great to look into the kitchen and see them working as a team.



The dinner is one that is very easy to do and is so delicious that Dane had two huge platefuls, and admitted later that he felt ill because he ate so much. Ha. Serves him right. *grin*

This is a *Quick and Easy* recipe!

Spanish Rice

3 lb ground beef (or I use St. Ives ground round)
1 chopped onion
1/2 green pepper, chopped

2 cans beef broth
1 can water
1400 mls tomato sauce (I use two 680 ml cans)
2.5 cups water

2 Tbsp chili water
1 tsp garlic powder
2.5 cups uncooked regular white rice

1) Brown ground beef, onion, and green pepper til done.

2) Stir in rest of the ingredients. Bring to a slight boil while stirring constantly, and then reduce heat. Simmer for a while.

3) Stir in rice. Let cook for about 30 minutes on low. Cook longer if necessary.

SERVING: We serve it with shredded mozzarella cheese sprinkled on it, and a dollop of sour cream. Veggies or salad on the side. DELICIOUS. Can't make enough as it gets consumed fast!
.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Justine!!! Such a great recipe we all loved. A couple of my friends asked for the recipe cause it smelled so good. I ended up using only 1 lb gr beef and added 3 cups of navy beans. I also used brown rice. Only problem was I wanted to have more left overs, it was just too good! thanks again.
Natasha

Unknown said...

you and I must think alike, because we have the same stove and microwave.....but I am not sure if I am ready to turn my son loose in the kitchen!

Have a wonderful Thursday!
Love,
Jessica