Monday, March 1, 2010

Living on a Shoestring - Part 3

This post is about the finds I found for Christmas. It didn't actually start out that way. See what happened was this was my first time in the second hand shop "with a purpose, a real mission".

As I entered the second hand shop with Austin I had my eyes wide-open. I have a friend way down south in Tennessee. She loves to go second hand store shopping, or as she calls it, GW Boutique shopping. Good Will Boutique shopping. When I would visit her she would love to do and I went along and it was fine. Something to do. But I never really "got it". Nope, I just didn't get the thrill she did from her shopping.

I can tell you that the day that Austin and I went shopping for the first time, really shopping, really looking, I could finally see what gave her that electrical charge as she went shopping - rather - hunting! It was exciting. Suddenly, I was looking at that shelf full of tupperware with new eyes. Seriously! I couldn't believe how much junk, I mean, high quality 'stuff' there was!

It didn't take me long to start piling things that I could take home. It was very exciting to see the things that were nearly new or even brand new! As I looked at the treasures that I was finding, it occurred to me that I would be simply bringing them home and adding them to the piles of things we own. Did I want more clutter?

But I realized that the things were so good, and so worth bringing home that I knew I had to find a way to do so that didn't just clutter up the house. A lightbulb went off and I had a plan. What about Christmas and birthdays? Why on earth could I not collect up these wonderful things and put them aside for when I had to buy for a certain child?

Brilliant!

Does it really matter if the price tag says $1 or $10? As long as the gift is from the heart and the child appreciates it, then why not! I made certain that the things I chose were things I would love to buy for that certain child and that they were in fine or best shape. Austin, Dane, Cassidy and I all had conversations about this and they all agreed that it was a great idea! So thus began the great hunt.

Dane and I had a talk one day and I asked him what he wanted for Christmas. He better let me know, so I could keep my eyes peeled for it. He wanted an IPOD didn't he? We all had a laugh at that. But hey, don't laugh too hard, or you don't know me...

Some of my Christmas finds...

The children all love puzzles, so I began collecting wonderful ones. They are all complete and are of high quality. I have managed to find one for each of Cassidy, Cooper, Raine, and Briton.

Ray and Cassidy had the pleasure (haha) of doing each puzzle to make sure all the pieces are there.


The Titanic one couldn't be done by Cassidy, as that will be for him.

Each of these puzzles was $1! I would have expected to pay around $10 or so for each of these!

I came across this wonderful, *brand-new*, not even opened game!! Some lucky child will get this next December!


All of these books were 25 cents each and will make a wonderful present for Savannah or Briton. This past Christmas I spent about $15 each giving the children some nice hardcover story books! What a price difference! And I was thrilled to find these old Dr. Seuss books! And Little Black, A Pony was my favourite in kindergarten, and sadly, our copy of it died a couple years ago. These books were in new condition!


When I saw these shoes in the thrift store I immediately thought, Wizard of Oz! I must buy them. Then I had second thoughts. They were only $3, but I wasn't sure. They have quite a heel on them. So, I left them behind. Then after driving around town doing some errands I knew I couldn't go without them, so I dashed back.

Lucky Dane got to go in and buy them. *grin* As he came out of the store he had a grin on his face. When he had gone into the store and picked up the shoes the guy that ran the store called out to all the shoppers, "Hey everyone! We have a buyer for the Wizard of OZ shoes!"

The other item I picked up that day was a fur stole and hat. I needed a model for the items, so I bribed Dane with something he really wanted. He then, barely willingly, modeled them, so you can see my wonderful dress-up find.

For Raine, I had decided to put together a kitchen set. I wanted to make her an apron and oven gloves, so when I found these old stainless steel tin bowls I was thrilled. I have since found her an old wooden rolling pin that I will be sanding down to new again.


When I told Dane about finding Jumanji the game, he was shocked. The kids love the movie and you would have thought I bought him the game! lol! I know that Austin will be excited to receive this for Christmas!


So, that is the beginning of my Christmas shopping and not one item cost me more than $3. I would encourage you to go shopping at your local Second Hand Boutique. You will not know what marvellous finds await you. And I have to tell you I get the most amazing thrill as I walk through the store and find things. Like the phone I found for Cassidy! The list will go on as I find more and more treats!
.

3 comments:

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Awesome! Yep that is what we love :)

Linda said...

What fun, you would have a hay day down here.

Sharla said...

That's so cool. And I had no idea that there was a Jumaji board game. My kids would love that.