Monday, June 7, 2010

Dirt Bikes and Boys or Maybe Girls?

When Ray and I made the decision to buy land it was with the upfront agreement that we would buy toys for the land. We had lived in the country for the last eleven years and our older boys had not benefited it when it came to dirt bikes, snowmobiles or playing on ATVs.

To me, that was a huge part of us moving back to the country. So we made a deal. We hit the jackpot at Christmas time when we scooped two near new snowmobiles for a rock bottom price. Sadly, we did not have any snow to speak of this year, so snowmobiling was out, while skiing up in the mountains was in. Hopefully next year, when we are on our land, we will have snow!

When I drove to visit our son a while ago, I came across these dirtbikes. I called Ray and asked him if I could buy one or two while I was passing through. We had heard and seen for ourselves that second hand bikes didn't come available that readily. So I didn't want to miss a deal.

At the time, Ray didn't want to do anything about it. He was too busy to investigate bikes and so I came home. About a week later, I asked Ray again about it and began doing my own research. Well, I tell you, I can't believe what I know about dirt bikes now! lol

Ray and I settled on what kind of bikes to get and I began to search the net for them. I found four in the same town, including two at the original guy's house. I headed out there one day with my wonderful van and six children. He was a very nice man who offered to teach the children how to ride the bikes, since we had no clue what we were doing.

After he ran all over the field with Austin and then Cooper, I compassionately told him that he really didn't need to teach the younger ones.

"No," he kindly insisted, "I'll teach them."

Okay... (grin)

Savannah was okay. She was actually able to understand how to use the gas and managed to keep it upright by herself. Briton, on the other hand, was seriously, not ready. As the man is telling Briton all about 'centrifical' something or other, Briton is grinning like a Cheshire cat and telling the man something about the nice steering wheel... lol

I quietly explained that Briton had no clue what he was being told, so if we just told him: Gas On, Gas Off, and Brake - that should be good. So off he took him.

Briton Grinning So Big - I'm a Big Boy Now!

That poor man!

As he came flying by me with his hands on the handlebar, I could hear him saying, "GAS OFF! GAS OFF! GAS OFF!" roflol

Riding Like a Speedster
(look at our kind instructor trying desperately to hang onto the bike!)

And he never complained once. He did tell me that Briton was probably 18 months away from riding a CRF 50 Honda, and Savannah 6 months. lol

Austin and Cooper did fabulous! We ended up buying Briton and Savannah a PW 50 Yamaha. This little bike is much easier. They simply have to Gas Off and put their feet down. The bike will slow down. No brakes necessary (at first). Later on, we can teach them how to use the brakes and how to keep their feet up while slowing down.
.

1 comment:

linda said...

COOL, now how much fun is that going to be.....ride safe and I can't wait to bring my quad and join you on a trip around your new acreage.