Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Austin's 11th Birthday

Austin, my sweet boy, has turned 11 years old.

I vividly remember after I gave birth to Cassidy being so sad thinking there would not be another baby. I sat in my hospital room and sobbed to my mother that this would be the last baby I would get to snuggle and love on. It broke my heart.

It seems strange having just given birth to a baby that I would be already sad thinking this was the end, but that is how I felt. You see, I had always wanted four children, but I had come to believe Ray only wanted three.

With three children I knew we were already considered a larger family. Sadly, in the world today, big families are not the norm, and therefore, I was a bit unusual in my desire for lots of children.

So when Ray agreed to a fourth child it was a wonderful day. I remember the exact place I was when he said yes. When I conceived it was amazing, but the pregnancy started with a scare. Shortly after I found out I was pregnant, I began to bleed. I was sure I was miscarrying. My dear friend, Renee, told me to take Red Raspberry Leaf capsules or tea and to rest. I did this. In time, things settled down. My ultrasound came back with a little heartbeat, and I knew my wee one was safe.

Eight months later, Austin seemed ready to make his appearance at the beginning of April. My other, good friend, Denise, told me he couldn't come yet - it wasn't her birthday! I guess he decided to listen because on about 2 weeks later, on her birthday, Austin made his appearance!

Just like his brothers before him, he was born in 95 minutes. Yes, I am thankful to have such wonderful births!

He was aptly named Austin Isaiah Blue - so named because right before I got pregnant with him we decided to move away from the city and to the country. We gave him the name Blue because we were moving to the "Blue Skies", and the book of Isaiah gave me so much guidance, over the course of that uncertain but faithfilled year.

Right from the beginning, Austin was a dream baby. He rarely cried and was easily satisfied. But when he was three weeks old he began to cry, and cry hard. That poor little chap. When I looked in his mouth he had this *nasty* black abscess about the size of the upper joint of my baby finger where his front teeth would eventually come into his gums! It was horrifying. I couldn't imagine the pain.

This problem was dealt with by medication, and then mysteriously came back two more times. We eventually took him into Children's Hospital to see what it was, and they could not come up with any answers. They questioned if he might have a minor cleft palate that might be causing it, but no.

After this, things improved and when Austin was 5 weeks old we moved to the country. That little guy was brought up while we built our new home. He was a dream, and slept through the sound of the power saws and hammering.

This is the moses basket that he slept in on the jobsite every day.

Austin and His Big Brothers

Enjoying Watching His Brothers Play in the Snow

We did have a high chair for the first three kids. Then when it broke we figured we were done and money was tight, so we didn't replace when we had baby number four. So this 'poor little guy' had a makeshift highchair.

When Cooper came along I decided that I no longer could be sure what was going to happen regarding children, and things were better financially (since we welcomed more children God has taken care of our monetary needs and we have never done without what we need) so we bought new baby furniture. And now I refuse to sell it, cause who knows what the future holds! Hey look! Briton arrived unexpectedly didn't he? lol

Sneaking Treats! Caught Red-Handed

Welcoming Daddy Home

When we first moved to the country it was with some sacrifice. My hubby had to work about five hours from home for the first sixteen months. His departures were always very sad, but his arrivals were time for celebration. The boys sometimes would have a marching band complete with noise makers and hats and streamers. This always brought great smiles to Ray's face.


Helping to Build Our Home

Learning to Ski

Austin you are such an energetic happy child who is full of compassion and love. You are such a blessing and I am so thankful that you are a part of our family. When someone needs a nod of encouragement that's what you are for. When I look lousy, you don't notice. You'll still tell me I look wonderful. You are so easy to make smile. A few words of kindness, even when you are feeling down will cause you to smile the sweetest smile. I love you!

Happy Birthday, My Boy Austin!



.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Happy Birthday from all of the Vernon's Austin!

dmvoccola said...

That was a fun trip down memory lane!