Thursday, June 17, 2010

May Road Trip - Part 5 - Trip Home




Our trip to visit Colt was a short one due to the finances, so after we popped by to say goodbye to him we were on our way. I was going home a way that I had not been before, and I really had no clue where I was going. I simply followed the map and read the road signs. I really need a GPS!

As we are driving down this road I suddenly realized we had arrived at a ferry crossing! I told Austin that he had directed me the wrong way. I got out of the van to ask and found out that, yes indeed, we were on the right road and we had to take a ferry to continue our journey! I felt like one of the explorers from the old days. Normally, I have total understanding of where I am going. Here I was travelling blind! It sure made for a fun trip, though.


The beach was absolutely covered in these beautiful rounded colourful rocks! We had the pleasure of hanging out and waiting for the ferry for an hour. The kids enjoyed throwing stones and clambouring over the rocks.


When the ferry arrived we learned we had a 30 minute crossing, so I figured this was as good a time as any to pop open the back of my van and make lunch!

We then took the lunches up on the deck of the ferry boat. It felt like we had just been blessed with an unexpected holiday on our holiday! You have to enjoy the small treats along the way.

Our drive took us through some beautiful little lakeside towns. There were some amazing historical buildings. I wish we had them in our towns!

The Old City Hall

One of the sites along the way home was the Enchanted Forest. I have driven by there before and always intended to stop there, so this time I surprised the children when I pulled in. It was almost closing time, so we only had an hour to spend there. I wasn't sure it would be worth the expense ($60) for all of us, but I am glad I stopped because Austin told me at the end that it was worth the money. The children had fun playing out the Three Little Pigs. I will have to upload that video as it was really funny. I told them the story, but forgot to tell them the ending...



This expression says it all. I was leaving this area and turned back to see where Savannah was. She was hanging the laundry! It was already there, but she obviously wanted to pretend she was hanging it up. When I called to her she put on this silly look. She is such a ham!


Our last meal out of the back of the van: baked beans, bread, and fruit.

It was a great trip and I am glad I made the time and effort to take it. Colt will be home in July for a couple months, and we are all really looking forward to that. There is also the possibility that Tyler will be coming to visit us for a while in August, after her time as staff at Cadet camp is over.
.

3 comments:

Linda said...

It looked like great fun and what a beautiful clear lake and gorgeous photos. We crossed that ferry many years ago on our way to Calgary from a stop over in Lumby. We had the horses on behind because David was competing at the stampede. While we were waiting for the ferry we met an adorable family of chipmunks that lived in the rocks and the kids had great fun feeding them. Man it had to be about 25 years ago and feels like yesterday. I'm sorry to see your trip coming to an end I have really enjoyed your stories and photos.

Linda said...

LOVE your collage at top of blog. Please tell Ray Happy Fathers day from all of us.

Sharla said...

I love that city hall building! It sounds like you made the most of your trip (as you have a great talent of doing with all of your trips!!!) and that the kids had a great time.