Monday, February 23, 2009

Earrings

The girls got their ears pierced about three weeks ago. I have been too busy to write my blog much, so this along with all other stories had to wait.

One day we discovered the girls had holes in their ears. Actually, they were sealed over holes. I asked Raine about them and she told me she had her ears pierced in Ethiopia. They said they wanted to get them done again. We decided to wait until the language was not an issue and we could be certain they really wanted them done. So we waited until the end of January.

The day we were to go the girls were very excited. We went to the shop and the girls picked out the earrings they wanted. I then asked who would go first. We decided that Raine would go first, because with her history of how she handles the shots, I felt she would be the best example for Savannah. Savannah, on the other hand, would probably bellow and might frighten Raine away. So we proceeded.

Moral Support

Raine sat in the chair and very bravely waited while the girl put dots on her ears. There was only one girl going to do her ears, so she would have a separate shot for both ears. Both Cooper and Savannah were there for moral support.


Then the girl put the ear gun to her ear.... Ohhh! This must have been more painful than the needles in her arms. For those she gritted her teeth and hung on until it was done. This was different. She got tears in her eyes and a little cry came out.

That was too much for Savannah. Under the chair she went!

It was quickly over and I cuddled Raine and within 5 minutes she was proclaiming her earrings beautiful. I knew they were painful, but the worst was over. By now, Savannah had reemerged from under/behind the chair and was looking inquisitively at her sister's pretty green studs.
I didn't think she would go for it. She asked me to hold her on my lap for this one. Okay, so I guess we are going forward. She sat down, cuddled into me, and waited quietly. The girl came with the marker and began to make marks on her ears and she dissolved into tears.

At that point, I offered her not to go through with it. I told her she didn't need to. She could wait til she was older and ready for it.

Stoically, she shook her head and made it quite clear that she was proceeding. What a brave little girl! I held her tight and she just let out a wail as the two girls did both her ears at the same time. (They had quickly decided that there was no way they would get through if they did one ear at a time. )


As soon as it was over and the tears were wiped, she was thrilled. A little subdued, but definitely happy with her choice to not let the pain get the best of her.

Reward Sucker Time


At Church on Sunday, the first thing Raine told the greeter at the door, "Look my earrings."
.

5 comments:

Leanne said...

Justine - what a change in your girls from when they came home to that last picture you just posted - their hair is longer obviously...but it's something else too...they look like they are just thriving. What beautiful daughters.

Anonymous said...

Okay that did not look like fun but the huge smiles at the end certainly tell you they think the pain was worth it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Justine! Those pics are hilarious. What we women do for beauty! I can't wait to show Selam. I agree with Linda, the girls look so much older. I can't get over how much Savannah reminds me of Selam in her facial expressions. On another note, I just measured Selam and she is 5cm taller than when she came. I don't think her weight is up much, but that explains why. She is also getting her 5 yr molars. Time flies, almost 6 months since she has been home. Hard to believe yet it feels like she has always been here.
Take care,
Natasha

Tami said...

They look beautiful! :)

Anonymous said...

They look so cute!