Thursday, February 26, 2009

How Deep is the Veneer?

I remember asking the social worker how long before the honeymoon period would be over. I figured a few months. She said prepare for a couple years before we really knew the girls. I thought she was out to lunch. Not that I told her!

Now I am beginning to wonder if she was right.

It is so hard to put into words. There is a constant evolution with our girls that shows me that they are gradually adjusting and transitioning into being part of our family. In the beginning they were like little robots. So perfect, so exact in how they spoke and responded and did as they were told. But I knew that they were not yet comfortable, which was why they made no mistakes. I was looking forward to the day when they didn't do exactly as they were told. It would show me that they were coming home.

One day, we had someone visiting us. It was after lunch and the girls knew the routine: eat, potty, nap. I opened the front door and stopped to visit for a few minutes with this person. Savannah left the table after finishing her lunch and moments after, Raine also joined her. After a minute or two, Savannah said, "Naptime, Raine," and Raine responded quietly, "Not yet." She was more interested in seeing the visitor than going directly up to naptime, as she knew was expected. (Now I wish my boys were as perfectly behaved!! Of course I know that it was just a matter of time before they became 'kids'. *grin*)

This was the very first time she did not do *exactly* as was expected of her. It might not seem like a big deal, but it was. She was getting more relaxed and less robotic. It was a wonderful thing to see.

Another interesting development is the girls' emotions. Raine (Mesai) is a tough little nut. I really believe she has been through so much that she doesn't show her emotions because 'why bother? It doesn't change things. People still go away and don't come back.'

Since Raine has been with us, she has not shown her emotions much. Way back in the beginning I had to encourage her to cry and let out her sad heart. I would tell her that if her heart was sad it would get better if she let all the sadness come out in tears. When she was given 'permission' I saw her dissolve into tears. This happened a few times, but only when I verbally encouraged her to cry.

But I don't know. How much do you really know a child that you have not raised? Are the tears real? Or are they just her doing what she thinks I want? It is a slow, slow road. In the meantime, I hug her and tell her that crying is a good thing. But she still rarely cries, and honestly, I don't think it is the best thing.

And then there is Savannah. When she first came to us she would cry hard if she was corrected or if she got a bump or a disappointment. But as time has gone by, I have noticed that she doesn't do this anymore. And I don't think it is natural.

The other day, I brought home donuts as a treat for the kids, while I was out on an errand. I discovered that the four little ones had been naughty for Dane, and as a consequence they would have no donut. I know this was disappointing, as they don't get them very often. This was the second time lately that they had been babysat by an older brother and where they had chosen to not listen to him. So they needed a reminder that they had to obey their big brothers, as they would me. That is old news, though. They know this!

As the kids were finishing lunch, I told them there would be no donut. You should have seen the crocodile tears sliding down Cooper's face! And Briton's, "No me?"

But the girls just looked at me and barely acknowledged the loss. This was not the first time that they had reacted this way to disappointment, so I addressed it. I asked, "Aren't you disappointed? Cooper and Briton are crying. Didn't you want a donut?"

Raine's voice broke *slightly* and she said, "I am sad."

So why, why, why, are they not showing emotions? This stumps me, concerns me, worries me.

I have pondered ways to deal with this. Do I make their world all rosy so that they don't have any losses, disappointments, consequences in life? So that they will always feel happy? How do I show them that a loss is a small thing in the scheme of life? In the scheme of what they have lost already? But in reality there are disappointments, bad choices that get consequences and little losses. So what to do?

Tami or Courtney, if you read this and have any suggestions, please email me. I know you have lots of experience with your little ones from adoptions.

Why did Savannah show emotion - noisy, dramatic emotion - before, but now take the hard knocks so stoically? It is not typical four/five/six year old behaviour!

So yesterday and today, I handled things a little differently with her. I encouraged her to cry. I might be out in left field, but I have no clue right now what is the right thing.

Savannah did not go out to play when the other kids did, as she would not take her quiet-time today (for the third day in a row). She had to stay in the house for a little extra time, while they were outside playing. I *know* she was disappointed, but when I told her that she would stay in while they went out, she simply looked at me blankly and said, "Okay." Like a perfect little robot - with no feeling whatsoever.

Now, if one of my little boys had to wait for playtime they would not be happy and would verbalize their disappointment. But not her.

So I talked to her and asked her how she felt when she had to stay in the house: "Happy." Said with a expressionless face. How did she feel seeing her sister and brothers playing, "Happy."

"Is your heart sad? "

"No. "

I am baffled. How can her heart not be sad? It doesn't make sense. And honestly, by her expression, I could tell she was sad.

So I left her for a few minutes hoping she would start to show some emotions. A few minutes later, I went and sat beside her, as she looked outside at the kids. I could see a glimmer of a tear in her eye. I pulled her onto my lap and asked her how her heart was feeling. "A little bit sad."

"Why?"

"No play with the kids."

I gave her a hug and told her how pleased I was that she was telling me that she was sad. "I want you to tell Mummy, 'I am sad,' when your heart is not happy. Don't keep your sad inside, or we can't get it better."

I stroked her cheeks and showed her a sad face. "When you cry, your sadness comes out, and mummy hugs you and your heart gets happy again. But if you keep your sadness all locked inside then your heart can't get happy."

I held her and there were a few tears and I stroked her back and asked her if all the sadness was gone. She said, No. And continued to cry. About 2 minutes later, she smiled at me and said, "Mummy, me have water, please?" And jumped off my lap.

We went and got water and then she ran to get her coat and boots. As she came in the room with her hoodie half over her face as she was dressing herself, I poked her in the tummy and then her bottom and said, "Where's Savannah?" She made a point of reaching out and pretending she didn't know where I was. When her face reemerged and I had helped her dress, she stopped to give me a great big kiss and a smile.

This is what I mean about the veneer. How much has this little girl endured to be at a point of not showing her emotions? How do I bring her and her sister to a level where they healthily show their emotions, without at the same time turning them into children who think they need to cry to make their feelings known? There is a healthy balance, but knowing what it is is the key!

In the meanwhile, Savannah knows I love her. She is a dear little child with a heart of gold and a sweet, sweet spirit. She is giggly and goofy, and like I told Dane yesterday, "Dane, she is your sister, genetically, through and through."

As a side note: the girls are happy. They play well, they don't fight with their brothers, they are sweet, and try to do what we want them to do. I don't see any lack of emotion when it comes to happy playing - just when it comes to disappointments.
.
.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Justine, when I read this post I almost cried. I know just how scary this can be. My daughter was just like that when she came, and it lasted for almost a year. In so many ways she presented as the 'perfect child'. It was obvious to me that she was so worried that if she wasn't perfect we would send her away. She thought that she was sent away from her last home because she was a bad girl. It took months and months of her seeing that even when she did things that I didn't like that I still loved her. Given, we didn't have the language issue to deal with on top of it all. I can only imagine how difficult that is. If you'd like to get together to talk about this, I would love it.
Love,
Chelsea

Anonymous said...

Wow Justine. I commend you for posting such an honest account of your girls emotions. It must not have been easy, but it will be invaluable to others reading this.
My struggles with Selam have been different than yours. We never got the honeymoon period(unless you count the first day!) She misbehaved from the beginning. The consequences totally worked then, but now, they wouldn't work at all. I don't hold alot of faith in consequences, because I really want my kids to do the right thing BECAUSE it is the right thing to do. Not because of the reward or consequence. I know it is idealistic and not always practical (ie: I drive the speed limit because I don't want to get a ticket, not because it is morally wrong to speed) but I really believe in looking at our actions and figuring out how they affect others and teaching empathy through that. About a month after we came home, we realized that Selam would either be really sad about a consequence, or not learn anything from it at all. It just wasn't working. I poured over my adoption books and the thing that popped out was "make it easy for your child to do the right thing, and hard to do the wrong." I realized that at times I was expecting too much from Selam or wanting her to be too perfect, for fear she would go back to the way she was when we first got her! In fact, she was beginning to attach and love and trust us and was very hurt by the consequences. They were not teaching her anything but only making her incredibly sad. She really just needed a hug when she was misbehaving and me to empathize and then she would literally melt into me and apoligise. She needed the connection before the correction could happen. I was the one who had to get over my feeling of "I am giving in and giving her what she wants." What she needed was love and understanding. I try to think of myself when I have had a bad day. My husband comes home and I start being a bit snotty. If he plays it back to me then we just start a cycle and I am mad at him and he at me. If he hugs me and empathizes, then it is done and over. That was all I really needed in the first place, I just went about it in the wrong way. Sometimes even adults aren't very good at being mature about these things! We try to remind ourselves to "just love more."
Another thing I thought when reading your post was something I got from the book "Parenting your Internationally Adopted Child." It is THE best book Justine. Can't say that enough. The author talks about the 5 different coping patterns in children. They are:
1) WARM ROCK - child who shuts down to manage overstimulation, feels rejected or inadequate.
2) STUNNED RAG DOLL - THe child shuts down to think about the past and be disconnected from the present
3) DIZZY PERFORMER - Active and revved up, overstimulated, in denial about major life changes
4) ROYAL BOSS - Controlling, revving, helpless, frightened and out of control
5) UNWILLING GUEST - Rejecting; alternately revving and shutting down with grief, loss, sadness, and anger; waiting to be "found," or searching for lost caregiver.

Some children do all 5 of these coping patterns. I could see that Selam did #4 and 5. Your girls might be different. Anyways, it is a fantastic book and really addresses all of your concerns.
I hope some of this helps. I am in it with you! These are very early days. The fact that Savannah and Raine were in care for so long means that it will take time(like the SW said) for them to know that this is really it.
this is sure a long comment, but I am so fascinated by attachment. I hope you receive some good advice from more experienced adoptive moms. I also urge you to post this on the group. There are some great moms on there!
Take care and have a nice time while you are away.
love, Natasha

Anonymous said...

That's such a tough one. So much about how long the honeymoon period is is determined by things you do know (kind of) like age (again, kind of?) and time spent in the Transition home and how many different homes they've had but so much of it is dependant on things that you don't know like any traumas they were exposed to, their basic needs not being met (which when you live in poverty, there is obviously the high chance of their need for food not being met on a very regular basis), etc. Add to that the fact that you don't know if they were the type of kids before who easily showed their emotions personality-wise or how emotions were expressed within their family or the cultural differences of ability to express those feelings and there is a huge unknown for you. Also, probably when they were sad leaving their mom or because they were hungry or that kind of thing, they may have been hiding those feelings from their mom to protect her so my thought is that it is going to take time and more time. You will see small tidbits of progress and then probably it will revert back for awhile as it is uncomfortable for them and then again, glimmers of true emotion will surface.

It does sound like you are handling it well in terms of letting them know that it is okay to feel sad and express those feelings. You are giving them safety around that but it will take more time before they understand that to admit to being sad doesn't hurt you or make you angry. I mean, how can they express to their new mom sadness over losing their first mom without feeling like that will make her sad? And I am sure that they have tremendous fear about losing their new family too and very conflicted feelings about all kinds of things but at their ages and especially at their ages with English still being in the learning stages, they cannot express those.

If it continues to not progress, then there are options you could look into...play therapy etc. but for now, there are some great books about feelings that you could read to them or you could do what we have done with Josiah and make a feeling chart - laminated page with velcro bits around the outside and then one velcro bit in the center. Then you laminate little squares showing exaggerated pictures of feelings with the feeling word written underneath "tired", "sad", "angry", "nervous", "excited", "happy", etc. and then they can move the one they are feeling to the center and show you.

Unknown said...

Wow Natasha!! You hit SO MANY nails on the head!!!! I believe that our girls are the WARM ROCK and the STUNNED RAG DOLL!!!

I have to read this book!

Also, so many of your perceptions of Selam and concerns about how she would act in future are how I have felt / thought. "What if I don't deal with that behaviour, what will it turn into?"

I am SO EXCITED to try some of the things you have said:

(She really just needed a hug when she was misbehaving and me to empathize and then she would literally melt into me and apoligise. SHE NEEDED THE CONNECTION BEFORE THE CORRECTION COULD HAPPEN. I WAS THE ONE WHO HAD TO GET TO GET OVER MY FEELING OF "I AM GIVING IN AND GIVING HER WHAT SHE WANTS")

I know these thoughts are mine at times too! It is relieving to hear that you have been through stuff and can report what didn't work and that you had doubts that going the 'compassionate' route might not work, but instead found out it was truly successful.

This is very empowering. Thank you! I have learned a lot from what you have written in the past, and I have actually already put some of your words into practice: teaching my kids to do the right thing because it is the right thing, not because of consequence or reward.

Feel free to post to my blog with anything else you think of with regard to attachment etc. It is very helpful!


Love, Justine

Unknown said...

Sharla,

You have mentioned many factors that I will address in a further post regarding recent talks I have had with the girls. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You have also given me an eye-opener to so many things that they have had to endure.

I am so glad that you adoptive mums are speaking out and being willing to share advice and experience!

Love, Justine

Playful Platypus said...

Hi Justine, I too have found that one of the best ways (at times) to deal with misbehaviour with Mustang was to surprise her with a hug. I say "surprise" her because if she saw it coming she would push away or run off or whatever.

I have other things I wanted to say but don't want to do it publicly. What's your e-mail address that I could send to?

Roma

Unknown said...

Hi Roma,

mum2boys@telus.net

Justine

shaunak said...

Justine,

In many ways Selamu behaves as your girls are. The first month he was home, I could not convince him it was okay to get out of his bed in the morning to go shinti, before one of us went to him. When we entered his bed in the morning, he was wide awake under the covers, clearly very uncomfortable, and would run to the washroom as soon as we went and pulled back his covers. He was too scared to get up and go before he had our permission. The first time he wet his bed, we found him in soaked pajamas and sheets, looking at us blankly - he seemed resigned to take any punishment that was about to follow, and seemed disbelieving that we simply hugged him and told him it was okay and got him cleaned up.
I KNOW that he is scared of being rejected by us. Scared that we will reject his brother. When his baby brother makes a mess or spills something, Selamu instantly runs to clean it. When Dxter cries, Selamu tries to quiet him. He is trying so hard to be "no trouble" to us. He goes to sit on him bed without a peep when asked to do so, and if something is taken away that would be a huge disappointment to our daughter, he just goes on with what he was doing and seems not to mind. He is willing to take whatever comes, without protest or complaint.

He is also an extremebly happy, enthusiatic, impish, loving child. But, he does not protest when he is given a correction and looks on with wonderment when his older sister throws a tantrum! He also rarely gets sad.

I think I trust that it will get better with time. That every day he is here and is loved and is reassured that we are not going anywhere, he will beocome more comfortable and willing to show his sadness and displeasure.

Ironically, he really does fight and assert himself with his sister, but only when my husband and I are not in the room!

We see little glimpes of this getting better every day. The other day Selamu sort off pushed Dexter off my lap, so he could sit there. This is not something he would have ever done before, as he was too interested it protecting his brother. Now he will compete with his brother for our attention a little bit.

I think being aware of it is an important first step. And time and reassurance will help you all along. I love Natasha's advice and will take much of that to heart, as well.

Tami said...

Boy this stuff sounds so familiar. We're goiing through a lot of the same stuff with Maddie...and to a certain degree went through it with the other three as well.
The perfeect child syndrome is classic orphanage behavior. In Russia/Ukraine, the kids had to be perfect in order to not get in disfavor with the caretakers. If you get on the caretakers bad side it can mean losing priviledges, treats, getting in trouble, or worse.
It takes awhile to work through that. I think I've mentioned before it takes about a year for a family to find itself after an adoption. It takes about 12 months to reach the new normal.
Well, it also takes the kids that long to find their equilibrium too. I think that's why you're finally starting to see some of these breakthroughs.
I would guess that in going from crying at every disappointment to clamming up, is Raine's way of making her transition into your family. I imagine by 'crying' at the children's home she was able to get all the attention she needed...whether she really felt the disappoinment or pain or not.
We have seen Maddie make this same transition this year. She cried at the drop of a hat when we first brought her home...but now it takes a lot more for her to beak down. At the orphanage she was definitely a performer - and a groupa favorite. It's no wonder...her personality required the attention.
Now she's starting to find her own personality.
Keep working with the girls, Justine. You're doing a great job. You're doing the right thing...you're teaching them how to deal with their feelings. There was no one there to help them for so long...its going to take awhile to catch on. ((hugs))

Mamato2 said...

It is very much part of the Ethiopian culture NOT to show emotions. Little girls are especially raised to be this way and to not question.
Add to that the transition and how your little ones are reacting makes a lot of sense. You may find, too, as a friend of mine did, that pretty soon they will stop wanting the names you gave them and want only their Ethiopian names again b/c the reasons (at least for my friend's daughter) was that she seemed to prefer the new names only b/c she was afraid of being rejected by the adoptive family if she protested.
I hope as your girls become truly part of the family in hearts, souls, minds, and not just body that they'll feel free and safe enough to truly express.

Anonymous said...

Hey again! I am so glad that helped! I am always worried after I post. I don't want to sound like I have all the answers. I am just constantly reevaluating what I am doing and trying to figure it all out!
The book I read that got me into parenting without consequences and rewards was called "Unconditional Parenting." It was a huge eye opener for me. The author is Alfie Khon.
Anyways, I am glad you feel empowered. Wait till you read the book! It is FULL of info that pertains to everything you/we are going through. Please let me know how it works when you start implementing these ideas. I look forward to hearing about it.
love, Natasha

Gwen said...

Hi Justine,

I don't have any experience whatsoever, so I won't pretend I do! :) But I wanted to stop in and let you know that I've been praying for your girls since reading this post. It's probably going to be a long road, but keep us posted about breakthroughs as they happen!

Unknown said...

Shauna,

Reading your description of Selamu was identical to our girls! I wonder if perhaps Malia's Mama is right and a lot of it is cultural versus trauma? Not disputing that there is trauma involved. But when I saw how incredibly wellbehaved and quiet the children in Ethiopia were (everywhere and in all classes), perhaps it is a cultural thing?!

Either which way, as time goes by and the children get more settled in and try out 'our' ways, I am sure they will become more and more like our little Canadians.

And regarding Selamu and Dexter's relationship. That is the same with our girls. The relationship between them is remarkable. They are best friends, look out for each other, and treat each other with great respect. I wonder if this too is something that was expected of them?

Thanks for your comments! Having some insight into other Ethipion-Canadian families really helps!

Justine

Anonymous said...

Just reading all of these comments makes me wish we could all get together and discuss these issues! How nice would it be over a cup of tea. I hate the one sidedness of the internet. I keep having more things to say and more questions to ask!
Selam has been taking "2 steps back" these last couple of days and thankfully we have been talking about how to deal with it! I just find it an incredible feeling when I can lay in bed and think I handled it well. There have been way too many days where I didn't! Like I said, I wish we could all just get together right now!
Natasha

Karen said...

Wow! i really appreciate your post Justine, and all the comments! What a wealth of information for a waiting adoptive parent! I learn so much from all of you!

Thanks!
karen

Anonymous said...

Justine, I love reading your blog, and I especially want to thank you for this post. Abu hardly cries (and unfortunately he seems to be crying less and less.) If he does cry, he will hide, push everyone and everything away (usually including taking off all his clothes & throwing away or destroying his favourite toys etc..) He is very strong willed / minded, and very independent. He has always got up to go shinti. When he has wet the bed, he'll get up and change his pyjamas, and if I didn't hear him up, then he would crawl into the spare bed. I have tried to talk to him about his feelings & I hear your frustration Justine! I am not sure if it is just the language barrier, or if the language barrier is just making it more frustrating. My worries are Abu’s disappointed, sad, mad, angry, frustrated, all those “bad” type feelings, his actions are anger, isolation & destruction. Which is scary. I have no idea what to do.
Don't get me wrong, he can be and usually is compassionate, sweet, caring, helpful, affectionate, and a really “good boy” & really happy boy. He too doesn’t deal well with disappointments, sadness, upset, or frustration.
Love, Diane dianeandken@sasktel.net

Anonymous said...

Hey Justine. Looks like you got some great advice here.

It takes time really. I don't know if there is much to be done. In time when they feel safe enough, it is all going to start coming out.