Thursday, February 19, 2009

Science Fair Day

I'm sitting in the parking lot of the local elementary school. I just dropped Cassidy off and I'm not sure who had more butterflies in their stomach - him or me! Cassidy finished his display last night and it looks remarkable! Before today, I had no idea of the level he would be competing against. I do now and it is a real variety!

Yesterday, when Cassidy was at the chess club in town, he saw this boy that was in the town Bye Bye Birdie musical with him last year. Well, this boy also goes to the local chess club that is taught by a chess master. He told Cassidy he was going to be in the science fair, but he was in the grade 7 class. He joked with Cassidy, telling him that he would see Cassidy at Provincials.

Well, I saw his display this morning. He has done an amazing job, and I consider him fierce competition for Cassidy. Thankfully, they are in two different grade levels. Overall, there were nearly 90 displays in the competition. They say they are divided grades 4-6, and then 7 is separate. If this is true, then Cassidy has to go up against over 70 kids! It should be interesting!

Here are some pictures of Cassidy's display:



Cassidy at the Fair

Only 1/3 of the Displays

I should make note that the reason you are getting the next months worth of blog postings is because I snuck away from home! I was going to drop off Cassidy at the Science Fair and then go home and do my 'duties' as a mother and teacher. But then I had the sudden inspiration. If I wasn't THERE, I couldn't do the work!! That meant I would have free time!! I could suddenly find time with no interruptions, to blog!! YEAH!!

SO I packed up Cassidy, his Science Fair display, my computer and headed to town. First I dropped him off, then I swung by Tim Horton's and picked up an Extra Large Decaf Mocha - heavy on the hot chocolate - and whipped cream.

Thus equipped, I set out to set up my blogging station in the elementary parking lot!
No kids, no interruptions, no distractions, free to let my mind wander!

I shall have to run away again!

.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cassidy your display looks wonderful it is very well done, good job. I can't wait to hear how you did.

Unknown said...

Great Job, Project looks Fab!! So which battery won?- I can see which two did not but I can not recognize the winner from your photos?
Looking forward to your feedback on how Cassidy enjoyed the fair.
Noelle

Anonymous said...

I was reading this post when I noticed the picture of Raine on the side. WOW! I can't believe how much she has changed and grown. She looks amazing!
warmly,
Chelsea

Gwen said...

I spent a lot of time zooming in on the pics and reading all the info. What a great SF project - it's relevant, interesting and detailed. I knew those cheap Western Family batteries were inferior -- now that I have scientific evidence, I'll stop buying them. Thanks for all the hard work, Cassidy!

dmvoccola said...

What a great board you did, Cass. I will have to remember this project for next year for Tessa. I'm glad you enjoyed it; we hate doing them here. Science-challenged!

Unknown said...

I knew there was a reason I'll only buy Energizer! I always claimed they last longer and now I have proof! Thanks and congrats!