Friday, February 6, 2009

Again Names

I have gone back and forth on posting this conversation for a while. You know, when you are read by people of all different opinions and not just friends who know you, you can be a little cautious of posting your thoughts for fear of reprisal. Well, I decided to go ahead because I have always been upfront and candid and I am not about to stop now. I have two things to blog about. They will be in separate posts. The first is names and here we go.

When we brought the girls home, if you remember, we went back and forth on their names: did we give them names, did we use their birth names, or did we use both, or what?!

When you get out in the adoption world and listen to other people speak on this topic, you will hear a lot of variation, but one thing you will notice is that most people are very strong in their beliefs in why they choose what they do.

I can no longer say that I am strong about my opinion/belief on this topic. I actually never was! LOL!! We finally settled that we would keep the girls' birth names as their first names as a gift to their mother. But then sometime after Mesai came home from Ethiopia (weeks) she was told in full her new name: Mesai Raine Ayana and she liked it. She loved it. She loved the Ayana part and when she would say her name she was always sure to put the Ayana on it because she loved that it meant "Beautiful Flower".

She told me she wanted to be called Raine and I heard her, but did nothing about it. We were going anywhere and there was no immediate hurry and perhaps she would change her mind. So we continued to call her Mesai. But then we went to Sunday School and she informed me that she wanted to tell the kids her name was Raine. So we did.

When the children asked what her sister's name was, I was in a position. Did I say Gadisae or Song Savannah? So I told them that the girls had two names: their Canadian names and their Ethiopian names. Typical of children they just accepted this and went about their business.

Time went by, and we kept pretty much to our family at home and church, so the girls didn't have a lot of chance to try out their new names. So we continued calling them Gadisae and Mesai. But every so often, Mesai would say, "I want to call Raine."

Finally, we made a decision to begin attending a new church (part time). They have a fabulous children's program(s) and teen ministry and since we have so many kids we felt it would be best for the children. Well, the first day we went Mesai made sure she was Raine, but our *children* are used to calling her Mesai, so they kept stumbling over the names.

That was the turning point for us. We had to get serious about listening to Mesai and begin using Raine with a real effort. The girls like Savannah and Raine, and so we are using both, but we are focussing on the Canadian names. Raine likes the little word picture I give her of the "Raine" falling on the "Savannah" and beautiful flowers and food grows for the Ethiopians. It is symbolic for me and 'nice' for her. But honestly, I am following her lead.

She will always be Mesai and Gadisae will always be Gadisae, but they will be known now as Raine and Savannah. And when they are older they will be familiar with both names and *they* can make the choice of which name they want to use.
.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

I really love this Justine. I think that it's so important for your girls to have a defining sense of self in the names that they choose, and I think you handled the situation so beautifully. It was so kind of you to choose to keep their names as a gift to their mother (I'm sure it must have been comforting of you to do so) but in the same respect, YOUR given names for the girls are a gift from you to them. So the fact that they have accepted and loved their given names is a good sign of their attachment with you, I think. :) Either way, the name that they choose needs to be their own and I think you're right in letting them make their own decision on what they would like to be called! They are some beautiful girls- and I look forward to seeing them grow as you document their journey. :)

Unknown said...

Michelle,

Thank you for your thoughtful comment!

Blessings, Justine

Anonymous said...

I believe that by giving the girls names you chose for them it may help to make them feel even more like part of the family and special. As long as they are okay with a name change why not and like you say when they are older they can use which ever name they wish. You have allowed them to make the choice and not pushed it on them so I think you have made a wise decision once again.

Gwen said...

You're a great mom, Justine. (Just wanted to say that.) :D

Gwen said...

....on second thought, maybe I should add, for clarity's sake:

With older adoptive children, I think we've got to be flexible. You have kept the girls' birth names, so you haven't taken away their identity. I agree with Michelle, that their choosing their new names is a good sign that they are becoming attached to you! Older child attachment isn't a walk in the park, but I think you are handling it admirably. Be encouraged! :)

Anonymous said...

Good to hear an explanation about the names Justine. Now I can clearly remember which name goes with which girl! That is great that they have chosen for themselves and you have honored it. Now where are some new pics??????
Natasha

Unknown said...

Hi Justine, I think the names either way are beautiful and I think it is wonderful that you allow the girlks express themselves and you take their lead.
As always you shine as empathic and insightful.
Noelle

the Melodious Mama said...

I really do think that it is so important for each of us, as individuals and as families, to do what is right for us and follow what rings true in our lives. This is so important in every aspect of life, be it naming children, deciding what to eat or how we home school. (or how we educate in general) No 2 families are the same just as no 2 children our the same. I think it is great that you are following your children's lead and doing what feels right for you. There comes a point when we must leave the opinions of other behind and follow our hearts. (regardless of how others judge us!)

it was sooooo great to visit with you the other day! I left our conversation feeling so inspired.

Anonymous said...

That was very well done. I have to say just wonderful.
What better way but to allow the girls to lead. :)


Hugs,
Sheila

Unknown said...

Jenn,

I loved chatting with you too!! I am so excited to think that God is leading you to Ethiopia!! Just don't move to far away so our kids can know one another! :o))

Blessings, Justine

Anonymous said...

Justine,
It is a strange thing, isn't it? When Matty came to us his name was Abraham. I just could not get use to it. It isn't that I don't like the name, it just wasn't him to me. So Matthew Adam he became.
With Annie, she was just an Annie, no doubt, but all of our kids have family names for middle names and she really wanted one too. She loves that she is named after Grammy, who she is very close to.
Just as choosing names for our birth children is personal, so is the choice of how to name our adoptive children.
Chelsea