Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Of Mice and Men

Seriously, I have to finally respond to negative comments on homeschool. It almost makes me laugh, while at the same time frustrates me, that people take things I say or photos I post, so literally!! When my son was playing outside with his brother, I got a comment that it looked 'provocative' - like a lynching or a beheading. (I am not speaking to the comments who recognized it as play).

Honestly, my children were playing. Simply boys being boys and doing what boys do best - roughhousing, goofing off, and using their imaginations. Actually, something that sadly has gone by the wayside since TV, video games, Nintendo DS, Playstation, and other electronic gadgets have become the stape of children's imaginative diets.

It is different in our family though, as our children watch little TV; what they do watch is harmless compared to what we know is available on television! Daniel Boone, The Waltons, Little House on the Prairie, and other timeless classics are among favourites.

And then, of course, there are the occasionally more parent-guidance type movies that the older ones watch that are fast-paced and exciting. These are movies that little ones wouldn't be allowed to watch, but these films are viewed with content in mind. They are not intended to exploit the boys' minds, but to enhance learning, such as in: Shooting Dogs - when learning about genocide and Rwanda, or Rabbit Proof Fence -when studying Australia and the "Stolen Generation", or The Children of Huang Chi - the rescue of orphans in wartime China.

Video games, computer games, DS - these are all doled out in very moderate amounts. What our children do with their imaginations mostly comes from good living literature, old TV series, history reads, and other 'normal' avenues. Yes, boys will be boys, (said with a smile!) and they do choose to do some things that I would rather they didn't, as in play army - but if you give a boy a piece of toast he will turn it into a gun! So what can you do?

I am not going to take away my boys masculinity by getting all bent out of shape when they play games that bring out the lion in them. A woman becomes a mama bear when her little ones are in danger; well, a man becomes a lion - or he should - when his family needs protecting. When boys are not allowed to be physical, adrenaline-filled, and play rough, we are risking turning them into boys that won't know how to raise up and fight for their family when the need arises!

Here is an excerpt from the book Wild At Heart by John Eldridge:

Beginning of quote:

The way a man's life unfolds nowadays tends to drive his heart into remote regions of the soul. Endless hours at a computer screen; selling shoes at the mall; meetings, memos, phone calls. The business world - where the majority of American men live and die - requires a man to be efficient and punctual. Corporate policies and procedures are designed with one aim: to harness a man to the plow and make him produce. But the soul refuses to be harnessed; it knows nothing of Day Timers and deadlines and P & L statements. The soul longs for passion, for freedom, for life.

As D.H. Lawrence said, "I am not a mechanism." A man needs to feel the rhythms of the earth; he needs to have a in hand something real - the tiller of a boat, a set of reins, the roughness of rope, or simply a shovel. Can a man live all his days to keep his fingernails clean and trim? Is that what a boy dreams of?

Society at large can't make up its mind about men. Having spent the last thirty years redefining masculinity into something more sensitive, safe, manageable, and, well, feminine, it now berates men for not being men. Boys will be boys, they sigh, as though if a man were to truly grow up he would forsake wilderness and wanderlust and settle down, to be at home forever in Aunt Polly's parlour.

"Where are all the real men?" is regular fare for talk shows and new books. You asked them to be women, I want to say. (bold emphasis mine) The result is a gender confusion never experienced at such wide level in the history of the world. How can a man know he is one when his highest aim is minding his manners?

End of quote:

I am thrilled to know that my boys are real boys. They know how to use chainsaws, skilsaws, build foundations and frame houses, hang drywall, are training to jump out of airplanes, can cut down trees and buck it for firewod, rappel down cliffs, and yes, use guns and bows and arrows!

I am proud to be the mother of six young men! Young men who at the same time as being encouraged to be warriors, are being taught how to cook and clean, take care of babies and children, to open doors for ladies, help them with their coats, offer their seats to older people, and protect women. In other words, be chivalrous!
.

7 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Justine

WOW, WAY TO GO MOMMA BEAR!!!!!!! I'm proud of you girl. Well said. Please don't let small minds affect how you write your families story or how much you share with us. Keep smiling and keep up the great work. YOU GO GIRL!

Unknown said...

Well said!
Noelle

Gwen said...

Inspiring post, Justine. My husband and I were talking about this very issue last night. I'm worried (a little) about if we get a referral for boys. I'm afraid that I will try to girl-ify them, because we only have girls and that's all I know! The minute we get a referral (if it's for a boy or two), I'm going to start preparing for noise, toast guns and stinky socks. :) (I do have a brother, so I know that much!)

I wholeheartedly endorse letting your boys be boys! You are a wonderful mother!

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you Justine. I think children these days are really missing out on free and imaginative play. My kids love it and we also limit tv and have no video games in our house. I find it is incredible what they create using their imagination and they even say their favourite games are pretending ones. Toys don't go very far in this house(except lego) and I am very proud that Selam has learnt to dream and create incredible things with her imagination as well. Free play should not be underestimated!!!!
Keep up the good work.
Natasha
would love to hear about the girls. How are things going? do you feel like any of the techniques are working? Oh and do you know that you have a pic of all your kids except Savannah on your blog? I keep forgetting to let you know. I am sure it is a mistake.
Take care!

emily said...

I couldn't be more in agreement with you Justine! I think you are doing an amazing job raising your boys and whomever they marry will be so very lucky to have them as their husband!

Renee said...

Justine, this is your finest hour. What a great post my dear friend! Sending lots of love your way and I want you to know I read every post, I do, and LOVE all your blogging baby! Here's to you SISTAH! Rock on! HUGS!Love to you.

Anonymous said...

I just have to say that, even though I'm a few months away from starting our homesechooling, I'm already wary of other people's opinions...because there are so many people who respond negatively to the prospect of a child being home educated. What's up with that?

Ruth...
...waiting for a referral of two from Ethiopia.