Saturday, April 25, 2009

Over-Analyzing Adopted Children (or Bio!)

There has been recent discussion in the adoption word about over-analyzing behaviours in the adopted children. I am famous for that. But then, I am famous for that in my bio-children! Yes, at first when the girls came home I saw every little issue as a mountain, because who knows what is behind the behaviour and if I don't deal with it, what will it turn into?' So I tended and still tend to deal with things the minute they arise.

My theory is that I do not want to let something slide through that I will regret later and then have to reparent them later on. For instance, if a child disobeyed me, I would deal with it. I could cut slack because they are adopted, but why is that any different than cutting slack because my child has Down Syndrome or has a learning disability? A child that disobeys needs correction.No matter who the child is or where they have come from. If I was to let it go because 'they are adopted' then I know that later, when they are 'comfortably settled in', I would be readdressing this issue and dealing out consequences. Is that fair to the child?

I do not believe so. I deal with an issue when it arises because I believe the child needs to feel the security of knowing that there are boundaries and they are treated equally to our bio-children. I have seen the results of this. The girls are secure and know what is expected of them. There will be no back-tracking behaviours in our house, because nothing has changed since they arrived. My expectations have always been the same. And yes, it might seem that things were a little strict in the beginning because of this.

So because of having this attitude, I was/am an overanalyzer - but that is my personality type! *smile* And we do not know what our children have come from and what baggage they bring. And yes, this might colour how they behave.

I think that because I have raised my other children from birth I know them better. I know how much slack I can cut them, because I know it is a momentary issue that we are dealing with, or I know it is a real heart issue - such as lying - that I will *not* cut slack on, because that particular child might have a history of that. And so I will handle the situations according to who this child is and what I know of their heart.

With our adopted children it is different. We do not know their hearts. We have not raised them from babyhood. We are not aware if something is a minor sin or if it is a deep-rooted heart issue that they have dealt with for years! And because of this, we approach each situation as an unknown and simply parent it the way we would with a child that was born to us. As I correct one of our girls, I am open to the idea that perhaps there is more to the picture than meets the eye, but that is where being open-minded and being willing to learn and change comes in. It is a constant evolution, as I always say! But as a rule, I parent them with the exact expectations I have for our boys.

Recently, though, when I was struggling with expecting the same cooperation and behaviours from Savannah, as Raine, I had an inspiration. I give God the credit because I was praying for the girls and really wanted what was best for them. Think about if you have two birth children. You have probably delivered these two babies a year or two apart. Therefore, your expectations are different. Obviously, one is a year advanced on the second.

I was struggling because I had brought these two children into my home the same day, but things weren't progressing as I 'expected'. To be honest, one child was performing wonderfully, and one was a lot more work. It wasn't that she was mean, nasty, or any such thing. It was simply that she required so much more teaching and guidance in getting things done, getting her motivated, having her understand what I was saying, speaking very delayed English, not doing her chores neatly, quickly, or willingly.

While at the same time, her sister was quick to do her work, did it neatly, was always willing to help out, speaks and understands 95% of what I say, and acts like she has been in Canada 6 months longer than her sister!

As a parent, I was finding it frustrating at times. I know it is not the girls' fault; it is my expectations! I really believe the girls are only 12 months apart in age. Savannah surprised us the other day by losing her first tooth, a week behind her older sister. And then, while I was brushing Savannah's teeth the other day, I discovered that she has three of her six year molars! There goes the four year old theory!! *laugh* Developmentally, Savannah is about 4-5 years old, while Raine is about 6-7 years. This just goes to show you that age, teeth, size mean *nothing*!!!!

So as I was saying, in my frustrated moments, I was praying for understanding and patience of this child. Suddenly, an idea popped into my head. I knew I had a book that talked about Personality Types. I ran looking for it and it really inspired me with what I discovered. After re-reading this book, (which I had read years ago, but not even thought of in regard to our adopted children) I really believe that personality has a lot to do with how these children respond, and it is not all adoption related!!

First, I shall show how these personality types work for those that don't know:

Have you heard about the 'Personality Types'? There are various ways of explaining them. I have written the different choices in the same order for each set:

Powerful, Popular, Peaceful, Perfect.

Lion, Otter, Golden Retriever, Beaver.

Dominant, Influential, Steady, Conscientious.

Choleric, Sanguine, Phlegmatic, Melancholy

The book that I have reading on this topic uses the terms: Choleric - the Powerful Personality (red hot like a fire); Sanguine - the Popular Personality (bright yellow like the sun); Phlegmatic - the Peaceful Personality (cool green like the grass); Melancholy - the Perfect Personality (deep blue like the ocean).

This book discusses the personalities in depth and this is some of the character traits from each person:

Choleric - the Powerful Personality
The Extrovert / The Leader

Child

STRENGTHS
Daring and eager
Productive worker
Sees the goal
Moves quickly
Self-sufficient
Competitive
Assertive
Trustworthy

WEAKNESSES
Manipulative
Temper-tantrums
Constantly going
Insistent
Testing
Arguing
Stubborn

Teen

STRENGTHS
Aggressive
Competent
Organizes well
Assumes leadership
Problem solver
Self-confident
Stimulates others
Excels in emergencies
Great potential
Responsible

WEAKNESSES

Too bossy
Controls parents
Knows everything
Looks down on dummies
Unpopular
May be a loner
Insulting
Judgemental
Unrepentant

Emotional Needs: appreciation for all achievements, opportunity for leadership, participation in family decisions, something to control: own room, garage, backyard, dog

Avoids: rest, boredom, playing games he can't win

I have only one child that fits in this category - my oldest. When he was a small child, I would say that he was 'a man in a boy's body' because he loved man's work. This boy was helping put on a very shallow roof at age 6 (tied on with a rope). I have pictures of his working with his daddy at 7 years of age, filling our basement with sand, because we had a leak. He worked side by side happily with his dad all day long. He would work in any type of weather, just so he could work like a man with his dad. I also always said he was 'goal-driven'. He is the boy that worked his way through learning disabilities up to the point where he is in charge of his Cadet corp. This was a major accomplishment and last year he took home five trophies at the year end! Any problem you have - this boy can solve. The more complicated the better! And every one of the strengths on that list are his!

On the other hand, he is also the child/young adult that caused me the most grief and stress with the negative sides. He is a fabulous leader, but he needs to hone his skills, so that he learns to lead his brothers in an honouring way. When he was a small child, I said that God would do great things with Colt, and I firmly believe this. He excels in anything he does, no matter how difficult it is for him, and every adult that knows my son thinks highly of him. As difficult as it is at times to raise a leader, I am intensely proud of who this boy is!

Sanguine - the Popular Personality
The Extrovert / The Talker

Child

STRENGTHS

Daring and eager
Innocent
Inventive and imaginative
Cheerful
Enthusiastic
Fun-loving
Chatters constantly
Bounces back
Energized by people

WEAKNESSES

No follow through
Disorganized
Easily distracted
Short interest span
Emotional ups and downs
Wants credit
Tells fibs
Forgetful

Teen

STRENGTHS

Cheerleader
Charms others
Gets daring
Joins clubs
Popular
Life of the party
Creative
Wants to please
Apologetic

WEAKNESSES

Deceptive
Creative excuses
Easily led astray
Craves attention
Needs peer approval
Con-artist
Won't study
Immature
Gossips

Emotional needs: attention, approval, affection, acceptance, presence of other people and activity

Avoids: dull tasks, routines, criticism, details, lofty goals

Like an otter, a child in this category tends to be very playful, but when annoyed by someone they can strike out with their little paws. But then, when all is said and done, they quickly forget and get back to playing happily with the other person. When Savannah came home it didn't take long for me to say to Dane, "She is so genetically your sister!"

When Dane was 13 years old and 7 year old Austin was annoying him, I suddenly had an epiphany one day. I said, "Dane! Austin is your twin!! He is exactly like you were when you were little!" At this, Dane's annoyance in his little brother turned to pride. Here was a boy 'just like him'! He had to be wonderful!! LOL!!

Well, like Dane and Austin, Savannah is an Otter. When I read this book to Ray, I read each of the weaknesses (the things that were frustrating me) out and was thrilled to realize there was a reason she as: disorganized, easily distracted, had a short attention span, forgetful, and had no follow through. It was because, at the same time as having those weaknesses, she has these strengths: she is happy, loving, forgiving, cheerful, enthusiastic, fun-loving, and goofy.

My Otter boy Dane, doesn't have 'lofty goals' like his big brother does. He wants to enjoy life and not struggle hard through it. He wants to have fun and be Peter Pan. I remember when he was about ten years old, I was sad thinking of losing my Sunshine Boy. He always made me laugh. I would chase him through the house and tackle him and we laughed a lot. He was fun to tease and he never held a grudge. It almost made me cry to think that such a sunny personality was going to go through puberty and become a man and I would lose that happy sunshine and laughter.

Well, God is good, and little did I know at that time, that my 4 year old Austin, was going to be another Otter. I am so happy to have him! He keeps us going with his silly personality, his need for attention, and his beautiful, loving, sweet, endearing personality. He is my encourager: "Mummy, you look beautiful." Even when I am in my pajamas. He doesn't see the mess. He sees what his heart sees. He is my boy with a love of God, and he will tell anyone that listens that God loves them.

Savannah is just like these two boys. She has a flightly, distracted little spirit. A little girl that will take 20 minutes to make her bed, when she could make it in five. But a loving little girl, that when she is sitting on time-out will call to me, "Mummy, I love you so much." She wears her heart on her sleeve and is quick to laugh or cry. And like Dane and Austin, she will strike out like a little otter when someone does something she doesn't like.

So now I have three Otters in my house and I am glad, as it keeps things fun and moving!

PHLEGMATIC - the Peaceful Personality
The Introvert / The Follower

Child

STRENGTHS

Watches others
Easily amused
Little trouble
Dependable
Lovable
Agreeable

WEAKNESSES

Selfish
Teasing
Avoids work
Fearful
Quietly stubborn
Lazy
Retreats to TV

Teen

STRENGTHS

Pleasing personality
Witty
Good listener
Mediates problems
Hides emotions
Leads when pushed
Casual attitude

WEAKNESSES

Quietly stubborn
Indecisive
Unenthusiastic
Too compromising
Unmotivated
Sarcastic
Uninvolved
Procrastinates

Emotional needs: peace and relaxation, attention, praise, self-worth, loving motivation

Avoids: conflicts, confrontation, initiative, decisions, extra work, responsibility, tension, quarrels

I have two little boys that fit in this category and I am *so happy*!!! I always knew that my two littlest boys were sweet and loving and easy to raise, but I had not read this book and charted them before. At the same time, when I was charting the girls, I realized that my husband is so totally this category too!! No wonder his mother said he was such an easy child! And each and every one of these characteristics, both strengths and weaknesses, are my husband!! It makes it so much easier to understand why things are a certain way!

Cooper and Briton are the most loving and sweet children. Both of these children are blessed with such repentant little spirits! The second that they do wrong, they will come to me and remorsefully say to me, "Mummy, I'm sorry." And they mean it. If I correct Cooper for being bossy, big tears well up in his eyes, because he doesn't intend to be bossy. He is just helping someone to do something. And you have read about Briton on my posts. He is just plain adorable. Sorry. The truth must be spoken. *smile*

I do notice though, that he tends to disappear when there is work to be done. Either that or he 'helps' undo the efforts and often I hear Raine calling, "Mum, can you come and get Briton. He is taking out the toys I have put away." When I come upstairs and say, "Briton, have you been bugging Raine?" He turns to her and with big, puppy dog eyes he says, "Wohry, MEsigh," and gives her a big hug.

God surely blessed me when he gave me two Peace loving children in my last set of four!

MELANCHOLY - the Perfect Personality
The Introvert / The Thinker

Child

STRENGTHS

Thinks deeply
Talented
Musical
Fantasizes
True friend
Perfectionist
Intense
Dutiful and responsible

WEAKNESSES

Moody
Whines
Self-conscious
Too sensitive
Hears negatives
Avoids criticism
Sees problems
Won't communicate

Teen

STRENGTHS

Good student
Creative - likes research
Organized and purposeful
High standards
Conscientious and on time
Neat and orderly
Sensitive to others
Sweet spirit
Thrifty

WEAKNESSES

Depressed and withdrawn
Inferiority complex
Inflexible
Suspicious of people
Critical
Negative attitude
Poor self-image
Revengeful
Needs approval

Emotional needs: sensitivity to deep desires, satisfaction from quality achievement, space to call his own, security and stability, separation from noisy, messy siblings, support from parents: "I believe in you."

Avoids: noise, confusion, trivial pursuits, being "jollied"

I have two children that fit into this category: Cassidy and Raine. It all makes sense now! Cassidy has always been a thinker. My mother has always said that he learns through osmosis. He just learns things easily. He is the boy that at age eight was putting together a birthday party for me, complete with balloons, streams, cake, everything he needed. He has been making birthday cakes around here for years. He is a great student - a boy that is a pleasure to teach. He does his work without being nagged.

These lists of characteristics is so in line with how she behaves. I always say that Raine does not have a mean bone in her body. She has a sweet spirit and is very sensitive to other people's feelings. It explains why we struggle with her refusing to communicate at times, or sometimes to make right when she has done wrong.

We also see that she is the one to take time to formulate thoughts, while her sister is so quick to speak. Though her English is 10x better than her sister, she will respond to a thought-provoking question well after her sister has already answered in her broken English.

Raine is an extremely dutiful child: she knows her responsibilities and does them. She doesn't complain when she has to get up early to empty the dishwasher, or has to stop playing because it is time to fold laundry. Her sister, on the other hand, will complain at these things. Raine is the one that when we picked her up was reserved and thoughtful and seems self-conscious.

So how much is adoption related, and how much is simply the personality that God put into them?

I have realized that Raine being a First-Born needs to keep this status. I have told her that she has the privilege of being the firstborn in the younger set of children in our home. When they are outside playing there are four of them, plus Austin. In all honestly, she may be older than Cooper, but we keep her legal age, which makes her younger than him. I have explained to her that God put her as first born in her family in Ethiopia, because he knew she was responsible and a good leader and a fine example to her sister.

I then explained to her that though Cooper is older that her (legally by 9 months), that in actuality, he is a 5th born child, which makes him one of the youngest children in the family. I told her that I thought it was important for her to keep the leadership role that God had given her by putting her as first born in Ethiopia. And I asked her to be a helper while outside playing with the children.

I think it is important to recognize that she is a firstborn and give her responsibilities to match who she is. The difference in personality between her and Cooper is unbelievable. He adores her and they are so sweet together, but at the same time, she is so much more responsible and 'older' than he is.

And Savannah..... Well, she is the indulged younger child. A word-picture of Savannah:

While folding laundry one day:

"Mum, I want go Ethiopia."

I reply (thinking this might be a profound moment), "Why Savannah?"

"In Ethiopia I not work. Here I allllllwayyys fold laundry. And pick up toys when on floor."

Ha ha!

So then I told her that she was a baby in Ethiopia and here she was a big girl. I told her that if she didn't want to work then she could be a baby here: she would have to wear a diaper, lay in her bed and then she could have no work.

She laughed and said, "I work. Me big."

Funny girl! So in character!

And then there is Raine. One day, I had told the kids to bring the pop cans from the sports court. They had taken them there and set up a store. There was a mess and they had to put all the cans in the boxes. I look out the window and what do I see? Raine, all by herself, carrying all six boxes to the house. Where were the boys? On the sports courts, but not moving yet.



Raine - Miss Dutiful and Responsible.

I will continue to over-analyze because I am a parent and that is who I am. And I also want to have well-behaved children! But I will always be willing to try new methods if I am alerted to something from the girls or from a friend in the adoption world, who has some wisdom to share. It is a new day every day and there is so much to learn!
.

3 comments:

Linda said...

How very interesting, it really made me stop and think.

sallytomato said...

Thank you for this post Justine! I'm following the discussion on the board too - I know I'm an over-analyzer in life so I assume I will be that way as a parent!
I can't wait to come back to this and look for E and B's personalities, when they're home for awhile.
In regards to teeth - To add in more confusion - I was just reading some studies where they found children from Africa (and the Middle East) lose teeth and grow molars faster than North American/European children! :)
Take care,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post Justine. It is great to know that others understand this.
I agree with you that we shouldn't let things go. Selam is very strong minded, but she really likes order and to know what it expected of her. She will try , at times, to get out of it, but is almost relieved when I make her follow through. She really likes structure but also wants to feel like she has some control. I find little ways to give her control without her realizing I have done that. Then she has an easier time giving it up in situations where she has no choice.
I understand that sometimes people misbehave because they are sad and I try to figure out the reason behind it, but I still don't think I should ignore it because the child is adopted. I think my hardest part is not thinking there is some deeper disturbance inside her causing her to do the "wrong" thing. If it was a bio child, I wouldn't think that at all. I guess it is just because I know them since birth and know all of the hows and why's.
We had an issue with Selam lying recently. She would lie about seemingly insignigicant things. It infuriated me because lying is something that really bothers me. I also found that I questioned her when she was telling the truth because I just didn't know what was real or not. Because it was such a sensitive issue for me, I made a big deal out of it each time. That didn't seem to help. I praised her for telling the truth and that didn't seem to help either. I poored over adoption books and it sounded like a very common thing. The books trace it back to the child's birth story and to shame they feel. So we went over that. I did what the book said and got a picture of Selam before we met her, when we met her and now. I told her story through the pictures and explained why she was with us. She did seem to really like it, but it didn't stop the lies.(which were about things that I would never get mad about anyways) Then my husband had an idea that seemed to work for him. When he knew she lied he would talk to her kindly and help her to say the truth. He didn't get mad or make a big deal out of it, he just helped her to talk through it. Then he moved on from it and that was it. Wouldn't you know the lies have completely stopped. I was unable/unwilling to do that because I was stuck in my anger over having a child who lies and trying to rid her of it! I think I was also scared of what it meant. Is she messed up? Is she needing more attention? Anyways, I totally overreacted because I overanalyzed the whole thing.
I am very passionate about parenting and ,like you, it is something I have wanted all my life. I don't think I will ever be passionate about anything else the way I am about being a mom. I think that kind of drive might make it harder to step back and take a breath and not worry!
I just want the best for all of my kids and I want to do right by them. I don't want to make light of her loss, but I also don't want it to define her. Our society is all about "poor me" and I want all of my children to be above that and be grateful for the day and the food and the home that we have.
Enough rambling! Thanks again.
Natasha