Monday, January 18, 2010

Boxing Day Night ... Into the Wee Hours

Part 4 - Later in the evening my brother took his daughter home to his house to have Christmas with her. This was the only time we had with Colt, so we did the gift giving from our family to Colt, and he to us.

All the Kids Watching Colt Open His Gifts

I was so impressed with his thoughtfulness. He doesn't have much, not having a well paying job, and having to support himself with rent and such, but all that aside, he still managed to bring gifts that were just right for each of us.


Cassidy knew that Colt was walking to work and decided on December 22nd to knit him a scarf. Did I mention that he had never knitted before? Nope. Never. He went to the store with his dad and picked out the wool he wanted. When he got home he discovered the needles he needed to use were at my friend's house. So he went on a two km sprint to get them. Once back, he had a quick (literally 3 minute) lesson in knitting and then began. He worked for the rest of that day, and by the end of the following day, right before bedtime, he was done. A beautiful warm scarf! Is there anything that boy can't do? Actually, we have discovered one thing he struggles with: writing.

Cassidy's pleasure is written all over his face.


Dane gave Colt a copy of the remarkable fiction short story that he wrote and illustrated about World War II.

Colt got a copy of the first blog I made: Raising My Boys In the Country. That has got to be the best gift. What child (not mine!) doesn't love pouring over stories about their own childhood!

We also exchanged gifts with my parents. I love giving to my mother because she is the most appreciative person. Anything you give her delights her.

Savannah has discovered the joy of gift giving!

Me and My Sister - So Glad I Have a Sister!

Cassidy, always a boy with a book in hand. Sneaking away for a few minutes respite from the craziness of the day!

We thought the evening was drawing to a close. After all, it was about 11:00 pm. And then...

Uncle Dave threw on the stereo FULL BLAST with Neil Diamond. Oh my goodness! We ALL love Neil Diamond. All that is, except for the teen boys. They decided they were not being roped in and so they slunk off to the basement to play some Play Station. But not the wee ones. Let the party begin! They danced and danced and danced until past 1:00 am!

And my mum was loving it all! While we adults stood around watching and smiling and taking pictures, she sat on the couch as their main audience clapping with a wide smile all over face and a glint of tears in her eyes.


Ray Got in On the Action


Then He Wangled My Mum into the Dancing.

The next thing I knew I saw Cassidy with a small sleepy child in his arms carrying him off to bed.

When all the children were tucked into bed we gave my sister the present that touched our hearts the most. It was just her, Dave, Ray and I, and it wasn't for any fanfare. It was simply something I wanted her to experience. There is a wonderful organization in China called Harmony House.

This home is a ministry in China that I learned about when I read the book Saving Levi.
That book began us on the journey to adopting our girls. I wanted my sister to feel that feeling in her heart that comes from having a connection with a child in another country.

So we decided to connect her with a foster child through Harmony House. In this small organization they take children that have been abandoned due to deformities, and they pay for surgery for them. These children then typically live in the home for about two years before they are then adopted into families.

There are 19 children that can be fostered, so it is a small home. If you read the story of Saving Levi, you would be so touched. This tiny baby boy was found badly burned and abandoned in a field. Through the book you will see how God spoke to the hearts of John Bentley and his family. How He showed how he would use this tiny baby boy to change the world. It is a story of love and triumph and you will be changed after reading it. As we were. And now because of that book we have two little girls living in our home that would otherwise probably not be.

Please consider fostering one of these children. You can go to their website and look at the pictures, read the profiles, and then choose the child you want to foster. In this way we were able to choose a little boy, Benjamin, for my sister. I thought I would choose a girl, since she has daughters, but when I saw his sweet little face I was so drawn to him. Wouldn't you be?
.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Hi,

Happened across this blog today because I'm on a news feed for Neil Diamond and had to tell you what a delight it was to visit your beautiful family. The pictures of the kids dancing reminds me of a line in Neil's song, Cherry Cherry - Can't stand still while the music is playing!

God Bless

Sharla said...

great pictures Justine! what a great Christmas celebration. So sweet of Colt to spend his hard earned money on gifts for his family and the knitted scarf is such a touching story too. you have such thoughtful kids. Saving Levi was such a special book for me too and I'm sure your sister was touched by her gift...has she read the book?

Unknown said...

Sharla,

That is a good point. I should give her the book to read! Thanks.

J