Friday, November 21, 2008

Little Memories

It is interesting what will cause a memory flash. One day, I was making the videos for our trip. I had chosen one particular song that was popular in Ethiopia for one of our videos. It will be in the video with the traditional dancing in it. As soon as it began to play Gadisae stopped what she was doing and said, "This, Sintayehu." I can't remember exactly what she said, but upon talking further, I was able to gather that this was a song that she had heard on a radio somehow when she lived with her mother.

This was very important, because up to this point, Gadisae has not been one to give me any facts. Her speech is so limited. Mesai was out of the house, and so, instead of relying on her for information, I sat down with Gadisae, and tried to direct some questions to her about this song, and how had it played, who had listened, did any one dance?

It was interesting to hear her answers. Yes, they did dance - Her Enat, Gadisae, and her Dad. That confused me, as I thought she didn't know him.

When Mesai came in later, I put on the music and asked her if she was familiar with it. She said that yes, her mother had had this music. She told me that she didn't dance, but her Enat and 'Ethiopian Daddy' did.

Each time we get a tiny little tidbit of information from our girls it helps to put the puzzle a bit more together. This is wonderful, but at the same time it is quite devastating. At one point, our girls had a family and a home, with a hardworking dad and a loving mother. Yes, they were poor, very poor. But their house was a home where love lived.

Then trajedy stepped in and our girls happy lives came to a screeching halt. And then followed what caused them to be placed for adoption. It isn't fair and I don't know if it will ever make sense
.

2 comments:

natasha salaash said...

Sounds so similar to Selam. She tells us something new everyday about her life with Enat. Yesterday she said"Ethiopia, Selam no pants, no shirt, no socks no panties. Selam have one dress, no panties." It was so cute! She also says she tried to carry water like her mom but it was too heavy and she fell and bonk!
I love to hear the stories, and the love in her voice as she talks about Enat. The first time she talked about her she was sad for a few days after, but now she is fine to talk about her. I know she was well loved, as it sounds your girls were, and I am continuing that love for Enat. These children are such gifts and we can learn so much from them.
I am really enjoying reading about your transition and all of my kids like to see pics of Gadise and Mesai!
Natasha

Janice said...

Your posts are amazing. This is the kind of thing all newly adoptive parents should read...In other words, a real account of what it is like to adopt older children who have memories of their past, who need to get used to a new country, new family, etc. but who most of all just want to be loved. It sounds like they are doing so well.