Monday, June 8, 2009

And We're Off!

Finally we were ready to go!


I had taken the kids on some dry runs looking at campsites, to get an idea of where I wanted to go. I was looking for somewhere that I might like to go for an extended period of time. I soon realized the sites on the freeway were highpriced and crammed - not my style. I headed out to the woods and found some that partiers might appreciated - again, not my style.

I was looking for something serene and pretty, but yet a few modern conveniences. At least for my first trip out. I fell across a gem. It was not even advertised!! It has a wonderful children's playground, full hookups, hot showers, a movie house with an 8' screen if we want to bring our own movies (boys will love that!), some docks, and large parking areas!

The only downfall was that it was costly compared to the free sites: $40 a day, but for that we get all hookups, plus, we get internet!! Haha! You figure - she can't leave home without it! Well, how do you expect me to keep my blogging people happy, if I can't blog from 'on location'!! *grin* There is nothing like a live feed!! And what was the point of getting away? Rest and relaxation.

Okay, let's get real. Cooking three meals a day, while my little cooks play, watching five little boys and girls to keep them safe, cleaning up the trailer, so my little worker-bees get a holiday. Oh, it really is fun!!

As we loaded up the trailer, the truck, and the van, Colt said to me, "Doesn't it make you think of Cheaper By the Dozen 2?" Actually, I can't remember the movie but I do believe they went camping, so I am guessing it was in relation to the number of vehicles it takes to take us away from home!! LOL!!


We almost left Colt at home. Poor guy!! He has school to finish. SO close to the end of his last semester of his last year of school. He is spending the week here and at home, plus helping Ray at work. As Ray pulled out on the road, and I was about to get into the van, Colt says to me, from the front door where he is standing, "I guess I'm staying here for dinner?"

I looked at him blankly and then said, "NO! You're coming with us!" Poor guy. He went running after his dad before he lost his ride. It is so hard when you are a big guy and have so many responsibilities!!


It didn't take long to find this resort and get ourselves pulled in.


The kids quickly found the playground and made themselves at home.


We big ones got to work setting up camp. It is so wonderful to have all these older boys!


One set up the boys tent, another the screen tent and then he pumped up the children's dingy.


One built the fire to ward off the deadly mosquitoes. My goodness, Renee, you thought your mosquitos were bad! HA! You can imagine how much noise we make slamming our hands on trailer walls killing those pesky things, while children are sleeping!


I stayed in the trailer and unpacked all the food and boxes.


Ray and the boys levelled the trailer, unhooked the truck and then set up the barbeque. Dinner time!! Out came the hamburgers, fixings, chips, and drinks.

The little ones clustered around the fire with their burgers, while the big ones joined me out on one of the two docks.


It didn't take long for the little ones to wander over and ask if they could sit with me also. Oh, it was so serene. No other word for it.

That was until the boys found the trout. And then the excitement kind of took the silence out of the air. *grin* Dane ran off and grabbed his homemade fish prong thingy. No clue the name. Simply something he saw in a book that he made to spear fish with. After an unsuccessful attempt at throwing it at the poor fish, he figured they might as well get the kayak out and try catching a fish from there.

Too funny!! These guys had no intention on coming out in matching outfits, but they did! I told them, since they did they had to strike me a pose. *grin*


At this point, while the boys were out in the kayak, Cassidy decided to get out his fishing pole and try his hand at catching a trout for dinner.


Meanwhile, Dane and Colt had made it all the way across the lake to the other side.



They made anchor, officially named the land "Canada" and headed back home. I have no clue what the land I am on is called, if that is Canada!! *grin*


The little ones got braver on the dock and decided to go wading. The girls watched for a while, before I suggested that they join the boys. It didn't take long for them to get wet!



When Austin decided he was going to try out his swimming shorts, we were all encouraging him to get his face wet.


And when his face actually hit the water for a brief moment, Raine looks at me and says with incredible admiration, "Austin is awesome!"

So cute! I said, "Yes, he's a brave boy!"

The children played for an hour more and then it was time for bed. Boy that took a bit of time!! Five little bodies in a space 7' x 6' !!! Well, they all fit in. Savannah and Raine shared their bunk, Briton, Cooper, and Austin all had their own. After they were all through the bathroom, teeth brushing, jammies on, potty trips completed, we had our mosquitos killing time.

The big boys were outside playing baseball and I set to killing every single mosquit0 I could find. The little ones were told to tuck themselves under their blankets and wait out the masacre. *grin* Finally the work was done and they settled to sleep.

Meanwhile, by now the big boys had been invited in from the cooling down mosquito filled air to relax with a sweet video. *grin*. Dane says, What movie? I say, Loves Long Journey - Janet Oak. Well, what do you know, he and Colt came and joined us. *grin* We are working our way through all six of them. They are very inspiring and exciting.


Before I came in from the boys I could hear them having a count of how many mosquitos they killed. It became quite a game. I am glad they did the work for me. One boy in particular, had a hard time sitting still during the movie. If there was one lone renegade out there, this boy had to put all the lights on and kill it, while the rest of the audience was trying to watch the movie. *grin*

Bedtime came soon after the movie. At least, it did for the grownups, but the three that were sleeping outside, well, let's just say it took a reminder of their desire to use the boats tomorrow, before they decided to can it and get some sleep.

~~~~~
After midnight:

I have learned that nights are cool when you camp - even in a trailer! I am glad we parked in the sun and not the trees! I would have froze to death! And I am also glad that I decided to pack my fleecy pants and sweater! They were very nice to wear when I was feeling the cold. It is amazing how cool it can get at night, when the days are so hot. On the list: more blankets.

.

6 comments:

Linda said...

I have heard that the mosquitoes are bad this year I'm not looking forward to that part of holidays. You should pack the trailer and family all up and come and spend a few days at the lake. I have a nice parking spot, this really awesome outhouse a nice guy built me and power hookups, even a cloths stand and line and best of all, it is free. Hope to see you all soon and hear all about your camping trip, I am getting very anxious to get up there. Glad to hear you can holiday and blog at the same time , too bad I don't have internet at the cabin I will miss keeping up with your family.

Unknown said...

Hi Linda,

Funny you should write because on Sunday, when I was packing up the trailer to come here, Ray suddenly said I should give you a call because you had said we could use your lake at some time. *smile* You were not answering at either location, so here we are. I would LOVE to take you up on your offer. My parents don't live far from you and then I could pop over to see them too. Are you there for the entire summer? And when do you arrive?

I can't email out for some strange reason, but I can receive email. So you can answer me here or better, via my email.

The mosquitoes are killer, but the lake is worth it!

Justine

the Melodious Mama said...

That is great!!! where did you guys get you're trailer?? We are looking for one for our cross Canada road trip...its sounds like yours has enough beds!!

hope you're trip is awesome! we'll miss you guys on Wednesday!

Sharla said...

That looks like the perfect location for you guys. I'm so impressed that you found that...and it even has a lake! And how can you beat that it has internet?! Glad to hear it's going well. I get such a kick out of your kids and the things they say.

Becky R said...

I love camping. I have never rented a trailor, we use tents. The trailor looks nice. I can't believe you all fit.

Renee said...

I am just LOVING your blogging in camp land these days! On my cell phone when I catch my google reader posts from your blog, there is no ability to post a comment. Imagine me sitting at the soccer field last Thursday night giggling my face off when I found your note to me here about mosquitos. Yeppers! Ours are back too after a night few days of rain and sunshine back in full force. My poor hubby was bite twice on his eyelid last night and could hardly open his eye today. Meanwhile though, congrats on the trailor, kayak (LOVE kayaking myself too) and the entire experience with your big beautiful family. Best pic of all though? Justine sitting in her chair on a dock that looks like it's about to plunge into the water from tipping over, but there you are, book in hand, looking RELAXED! Yeah Justine! LOL Love and Hugs to you. Enjoy! Enjoy!