Friday, June 26, 2009

Dane's Mural


I am most impressed with my son. He created his own Aviation course for 4 credits at school this semester. One of the things he said he would do was to paint a mural. He took a picture of a scene from World War II (he main interest) and had to scale it to the wall size. The picture was 3 inches by 5 inches, and he had to turn it into a 3 foot by 5 foot painting.

Dane has never painted before, never done a wall drawing, and never used scale on such a large proportion. As I watched him working day by day, an hour here or an hour there, I was not disappointed. I am sure he was delving into something that he was not that comfortable in, and I am pretty sure that he will not do a painting again, but I think he did a fabulous job for someone that does not like art.

And the irony of that statement is, the boy is an artist! He is a born illustrator. He has always had his own style, going back to birthday cards that he has always made, since he was very small. Dane has illustrated two short stories that he and his brother wrote. And when his principal of his distance education school saw his illustrations, she said that his pictures were like that of book illustrations. I told Dane that See! I was right. I had always told him that he could illustrate for books, but he is not interested. I have also told him that I am going to try and see if I can find somewhere to send his World War II fiction short story, complete with illustrations, because I believe it is well worth sending to a publisher. But first I have to find someone.

Now painting is not pencil work, so the style is nowhere near his pencil drawings, so sometime I will upload his pencil work, so you can see his finite detail. In the meantime, here is his mural.
.

6 comments:

dmvoccola said...

Excellent job, Dane! Are you sure you don't like art? I see a lot of creativity in your future! ;)

Linda said...

Great job Dane, I enlarged it and you have great detail. I especially liked the soldier running, you could tell he was on the move and that is hard to do in a painting.

the Melodious Mama said...

good job Dane!!

DEBRA said...

Beautiful.....maybe he will be more interested in doing something with his talent later on in life. It was great to finally meet you.
Blessings
Debbie

Becky R said...

awesome!!!

darci said...

it's very impressive!