Monday, June 15, 2009

The Fisher King - Austin

"That little guy has quite the cast!" called out the manager of the resort we are at. He had seen Austin bring in his second fish and was most impressed. He was the second guy to say this!

Where Dane and Cassidy had both spoken of wanting to go fishing, but not having much luck, Austin had proven himself to be a true fisherman. It is often the way for younger brothers to get left in the dust, and it is no exception in our house. The big brothers left and little brother asked me if he could use 'my' fishing pole. I had received it for my birthday *grin* from Ray, but had yet to go and try it out. I said that he could.

This all began because he had come running with all the little ones in tow, because he had found himself a juicy long worm. He told me he could cut it up and make more bait. Me, being a squeamish person, simply said, "EEEww! That would hurt the worm!"

A few minutes later, Austin came back to me with the rod, and I suggested he take it over to this nice man that was living in a trailer a hundred feet from us. I had seen this grandfatherly gentleman get the kids to line up and race across the lawn, so I thought he would be the right one to ask.

When Austin didn't come back for a while, I figured he had been successful in his request for help. Sure enough, shortly after he came back and set to fishing off his boat. When that was not immediately successful, he came in and decided to try the end of the dock.


After a while the man came by and asked Austin if he had caught any fish yet. Austin said, "The fish keep taking my worm off the end of the hook."


The man went out to the dock to help Austin and inadvertently got his hook caught. He told Austin he would replace it. Austin said, "If I lose the hook I lose my last piece of worm." (Hear the word 'piece'? He did cut up the poor worm. *grin*)

The man said, "I can give you a new hook and a whirly, but I can't help you with the worm." *laugh*

I suggested that Austin go dig in the bushes on the edge of the lake. I figured there must be some soil, and where there is moist soil there might be a worm. Austin called out to the kids to bring him a bucket cause he had a great bug. He brought it to show me. What is it about kids that makes them think they have to show me all their bugs?! Ick!!! I know Renee, you would have your kids pull out the sketch books. Well, so would I. Another time. But pulleasee! Do *I* have to admire them as well as teach them a love of sketching nature! *grin*

I told that I didn't figure that bug would catch any fish. It wasn't a juicy worm, after all. But mind you, those flies in the kit I was given looked pretty much like that bug, and if he stuck that nasty hook through its poor hard shell, I am sure the fish couldn't bite it off. There might be hope for him after all. Ugh!

I put the kids to nap (gotta love it! I get two hours in the mid afternoon while all four little kids sleep!) and settled in to work on Colt's graduation movie and about an hour later, there was a light tap at the door. There was Austin, pleased as punch, holding a fish on the end of his line!


I had him run over to Jim, the kindly gentleman, and knock on his door. I figured he should know what Austin had done. Well, he was quite chuffed! I don't think he expected to see Austin with a fish that fast. He told Austin that he had caught a trout! Well done for his first try.

He then proceeded to show Austin how to cut off its head and slice it open and gut it. That little fisher-boy had no qualms about doing it. I figured if he was man enough to fish and actually catch one, then he was man enough to handle a man's knife. We had a special utility knife that he would love to play with and whittle with, but I have an aversion to cut off fingers, so I haven't handed it over. That and the whittled furniture that I had experienced through the other boys. *grin*


That afternoon, after the fish was cleaned and put in the fridge for his dinner *smile*, Austin got back to his reading. That boy could not stop grinning. He had a perma-grin etched on his face. He, the little brother, the one that couldn't use the rod because the big ones wouldn't let him, the one who was never taken seriously by anybody because of his silly, joking nature - He had caught a fish. He knew he wore the Fisher King crown and he well deserved it! He IS the Fisher King in our house. *smile*


That night, when Ray came, Austin was going to show him the fish when he made his dinner. At one time, I asked Austin if he wanted to show his dad the fish before dinner. He said in a little while. Shortly after, Austin came in and told his dad he had caught a fish. His dad was rightly impressed. Austin then asked if we wanted to see how he had cleaned the fish. I was a tad confused because I had already seen this, so I said fine.

Austin went outside and then came back in with my plastic juice jug. He tipped the jug over and showed me inside it. What? A fish? A dead fish in my *plastic juice jug*! Eeewwy

Austin beamed up at me and his dad and told us that he had caught another fish!!! That boy!

He was so proud. He then sat down on the grass and cut off the fishes head, with an enraptured and also, some not-so, audience. (click on Cooper's face for a good look at his expression)


Austin Discovered the Gutting Station

All Boy! Look

Mum! I have a fish head on my finger!


The next day, Austin fried up his bigger trout and had it for lunch, and the other one, he chopped up for more bait. The boy is a pro! *smile*


.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Austin! My son Mateyo would have a blast playing with your boys. They are like peas in a pod.
Natasha

Linda said...

Way to go Austin I love to fish too maybe we could go together some time.

Sharla said...

Great story Justine! Austin has found a special talent...great job Austin!

Unknown said...

That is too funny!! Cooper's face was proceless :)Austin a real fisherman.
My boys catch many things at the lake (most really fasinating), they then put them into the tank to observe, then look up the species in a book and they proceed to draw it in their journels- We have a 2 hour rule than it gets tossed back. LOL Not that all survive. But what is it with boys?- too funny- I'm sure your girls and our daughter are going to approach these things differently.What a great family time your sharing.
N

Tami said...

I was doing just fine until I saw the fish head picture...Eeeew!
Way to go Austin! What an awesome adventure you all are having! :)