Monday, June 8, 2009

Coming To You Live From... Part 1

Our First Camping Trip!

You never heard of the trailer purchase, cause I have been so busy that I haven't had time to write about it. It was an interesting story. I had been camping when Colt was a tiny boy and then again, with a friend, when Colt and Dane were five and three. It was great fun. But Ray was not into camping. Can't deny it. Just wasn't up his alley. So the camping never came back.

Then last year, my good friend Corrie, and I spent some time together and discussed camping this year. So as time when by I got more and more interested and approached Ray. The idea was to buy a trailer, as I figured that might entice him more than a tent. Because of the recession and other reasons the decision was not to buy one. So I went ahead and bought what I needed to set up a tent. After this was started, Ray and I got talking again about whether or not we really wanted to spent that much money on tenting equipment, when we might turn around and buy a trailer in another year or so.

The other thought was if we bought a larger trailer, then we could use it as a family if Ray managed to get work out of town. That way we wouldn't have to split up like we have in the past. We began researching and found the perfect layout. It has four beds for children, plus a master bedroom slide, plus the couch and dinette.





The layout of the couch and dinette was in such a way that you could sit on the couch and face the dinette, thus creating a livingroom feel, plus you can use the masterbedroom as a sitting area for kids if you have a crowd in the trailer.

Ray was going to the Big City anyway at this time to see his dad, who was in from out of town, so this worked out providentially. Ray never goes to the coast, so the timing was beautiful! He headed down with the addresses for four different people selling variations of this model. They were all in same price range, and I had only seen photos of one of them.

I figured since Ray had blessed me with the decision to buy the trailer, I would let him make the decision regarding the choice. I had seen one and loved it, but pictures can be deceiving; Ray found another one and felt it was a much better choice.

Then began the headache of trying to get the trailer paid for! We had the money, but the decision was made on Friday and so I had to get money transferred and then try to get it sent via Western Union to the Big City. Well, as it turned out, to send that much money was going to cost $520!!!! So that idea was out. I then approached the bank and they could send a wire transfer in a few minute, but it turned out it would not clear til Monday! What to do! By now, it was getting a little stressful, because Ray was due to come home on Saturday, and we would have to wait for another week for him to return - IF the trailer was not sold by then!

Late that night, Ray called me and suggested I get a bank draft and FLY it down! So that is what we did. I hit the bank at 9:30 the next morning, got my bank draft, and shot to the nearest airport - not that close! I got there in the nick of time, got it on the plane at 12:00 pm, and began to pray.

Ray had to get to the airport, pick up the envelope, and then drive to another city to find the owner, pay for the trailer and then hitch up and head to an insurance dealer before they closed for the weekend! It was tight, but he did it. He called me from the road and said, "You are now the proud owner of a tin box." I am sure he was happy it got it all accomplished!

Six hours later, he pulled into our driveway. What a beautiful sight! Who would have thought that the year after we adopt two little girls we would be the proud owners of a trailer and a super new truck - in my favourite colour: red! God is good!


The next day we began scrubbing it out.

I shampooed all the mattresses and couch and cushions.


Austin worked very hard cleaning and sweeping and washing. What a little worker!


The layout was wonderful and there is room for everyone - if need be. We will choose to put the big boys out in the tent, though, so that leaves ample room for us. We won't even need to use the couch and dinette!

We are now packing the trailer and preparing for our first camping trip. It is so nice to have somewhere to store it all and not have to pack it each time.
.
Part 2 - On our first trip
.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful!! how much fun is that going to be; can't wait to meet you all in the Kootenays :)

shirley
cranbrook/castlegar - depending which week it is.

Linda said...

Really Nice Trailer Congrat's and have "FUN"

Sharla said...

It's gorgeous...that's luxurious camping! Heck - if we had one of those, even I might be convinced to try camping again! Congrats on the new home away from home!

Becky R said...

Congratulations. God is so good!!!