Friday, June 12, 2009

A Perfect Day For a Quiknik

Today was the perfect day for a quiknik. Not that I planned it. But then, it wouldn't be called a quiknik, if it was planned! Ha!

I had a full day planned of dentist and chiropractor visits, plus errands and my son's grad photos.

After eighteen years of only two cavities between all my children, we finally had another cavity! Actually two!

Colt was quite happy to have his last dental visit and have no fillings necessary! Now let's see how good he is once he is on his own. *smile*


Dane, Austin, Cooper, Raine, Savannah, and Briton - all with clean checkups - as usual.


You should have seen me walking between rooms for four hours!! *laugh* And the funny thing is the other day I was watching the Duggers on TLC and they were saying they only can schedule two kids at a time at the dentist and hence spend many days at the dentist every six months. Why? Our dentist just blocks off the entire morning for our kids! *laugh*
Sadly, Cassidy, same victim as last time, was shocked to hear he had cavities. Poor guy!

He told me later how it happened. He was lying in the dental chair, and the dentist told him he had two cavities, and he would be back later to talk to him more. He told me he was dreading the return of the dentist, wondering what other bad news he might bring.

Cassidy had known he had lost his toothbrush and had not done anything about it (such as ask his mother for a new one) and as he was having his teeth cleaned, the dental hygienist was telling the dentist about all the garbage she had cleaned out. Later, when Cassidy was telling me this story, I could just imagine how embarrassed he had been. It wasn't for a few minutes that he realized that she was talking about her garage! *grin* In the meantime, he sat rather uncomfortably on the chair while they were chatting. *grin* Maybe the boy will learn to look after his teeth.

For years my older boys have been told that I will pay for cleanings, but they will pay for cavities, IF I know they are delinquent about brushing their teeth. Well, perhaps all children are delinquent, but my children do not get sweet or desserts on a regular basis, so their mouths are blessed! The money we have saved!!!

Unfortunately for Cassidy, today the quoted dental bill was $459!!!! I told the receptionist it was a good thing my son had a job working for his dad! Not that it makes much difference since we pay his wages! We will be giving him a break though, as I am sure as well as not brushing, there might be some genetic stuff going on. The dentist tells me that is not the case, but I figure that Cassidy is the only one that has had dental work in the past, so we will help him with that bill. I do think it was a wakeup call to the boys though.

Briton getting his little taste of 'bubblegum' fluoride since he didn't get his teeth treated. The lady thought he was so sweet when she realized he thought Raine was getting real gum. So she gave him a taste.

After the dentist we had many other errands, plus Colt had to get a hair cut. Or rather, he had to get his quarter inch long hair trimmed? Seriously!! *laugh* So after this he was getting grad pictures and it was going to be a two hour wait. I had a choice of going home and coming back, or going to the grocery store, picking up some food and then spending the time in a local park. Easy decision!

So we had an impromptu quiknik. That is when we 'quickly' decide to have a 'picnic'. Those are the best!


I always bring my boys with muscles to do all my heavy work! Gone are the days of labour! I so believe in delegating!

Mini Muscle Men

My frugal son Dane, never one to lose a money making opportunity, jumped out of the car before I got to my parking stall. He saw a lone cart, which meant a quarter, and that mean gumballs! Back until he was about thirteen years old he used to make himself about two or three quarters every time I went shopping. A smart business for a kid with not lots of financial resources!

After we got our stash of impromptu picnic supplies, we headed to the park.

The kids were in awe when they saw the rushing rapids.

We found a nice spot by the creek and unpacked our speedy lunch.



After lunch the children began picking dandelions to throw in the creek. I looked at Raine with one flower flying through the air and then glanced over at Cooper - with a clump, including roots! Boys!! *grin*




It didn't take long for Austin to ask if he could go paddling. Thank goodness for Crocs!! Those children live in them, so they were able to go for an impromptu splash.


And boys being boys, Cooper asked if he could take off his pants to join his brother.


The girls were quick to want to follow, but they did not have Crocs on, so they couldn't as I was worried about things in the creek bottom. Dane reassured me that it was fine and any 'danger' would be upstream at a certain spot. I decided upon checking out the shallow area that they could join the boys.


Once this happened, Austin decided he wanted to run to the van and get the boogie board I had just purchased in town.

Dane helped him out into the water, after assuring me that he would be safe. We all jumped up and raced down the shore cheering him on, as he went held on tight through the tiny rapids.





Having Successfully Shot the 'Rapids'

There was a point earlier when we were all at the shore watching Austin venture into the water. Briton slid on a piece of wet soil and landed up on his bottom in the edge of the creek. When he got up his pride was bruised and he was *not* happy when everyone laughed. He looked at Savannah and cried, "NOT 'APPY!" (not happy)

So it was quite funny a little later when we were down the creek watching Austin come down the rapids. I was standing a little ahead of the kids and the children were all in a cluster looking up the creek. Savannah was in the front of the pack and Briton was behind. Now you have to know Briton. He isn't a 'mean' child, so I know without a doubt that he was totally clueless to how this happened!!

All of a sudden I look up at Savannah is standing there dripping wet! She had taken a topple into the 12" deep water and ended up soaked. She didn't know whether to laugh or cry. We convinced her it was funny!


It was a great way to start the summer and we really need to do more of them.


I encourage you, when you are getting your groceries in town one day, to just pick up a few impromptu 'eat on the run' type items and take your children to a nearby park, playground, creek - anything - for even thirty - sixty minutes. You won't regret it. I have many good memories of "Quikniks".
.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Okay Penny is having a panic attack because Austin has the boogie board tether strap around his neck. She said to ask him to PLEASE use it around his wrist or ankle before he strangles himself.

I am a bit jealous I went to the dentist yesterday and I didn't get bubble gum fluoride or a Quiknik and like Cassidy I have a cavity so I know how he feels.

Great article and photos and loved the part about the garbage, that was too funny. Poor Cassidy.

Unknown said...

No worries, Linda. As soon as I realized he had attached himself that way I nearly flipped. He will NOT be using it again on his neck. Apparently, his wrist and ankle are too tiny! LOL!! The boy is so petite.

Justine (PS. You were right with your lake guess! Good job! Can't wait to stop at your lake. Thanks SO much for the offer!!! We are LOVING our holidays.)