Sunday, June 14, 2009

My Wonderful Son

Raising teens and preteens can be challenging. People liken it to raising the 'terrible twos'. I personally think the twos are wonderful and refused to believe in such a phrase. And honestly, I think twos are much easier than teens. *smile*

Once in a while, there are moments when I am especially rewarded for all the years that I put in parenting my boys. I had just one of those beautiful times today. I had just returned from five days camping. I was stopping into the house with my 12 and 16 year old boys, (and all the wee ones) for three hours to do some banking, three loads of laundry, cook some meals for my hard-working hubby, and clean the house.

I had seen the unopened mail on the table and browsed through it to see if there was anything important. Almost immediately I saw that dreaded brown government envelope. I just have an aversion to their envelopes. No guilty conscience - just don't like 'em.

As I opened it, I noticed it was pink. My pulse quickened and I glanced quickly through the writing and my heart about stopped. It was a bill I had forgotten to pay. I am *never* late on government payments. I like to fly low below the radar with them. *smile*

But a couple months ago, I had switched bookkeepers. Actually, the bookkeeper was me and I switched to Ray doing the books. This was one area that I had not taught him, and it had fallen between the cracks.

I immediately panicked, wondering if we had the money for this possibly huge bill, but more importantly that it was six weeks late, and *THEY* would not like it! LOL! I know I make 'them' seem ominous, but they can seem rather intimidating to us little folk!

As I was getting myself organized and was telling the boys I had this unpaid bill, which might have penalties and interest, my dear, sweet twelve year old son, Cassidy, said, "Mum, me and Dane will give you our paycheques to pay for the bill."

My heart swelled with love for the generosity of my son. He doesn't get very many hours at the jobsite, because there is not much he can do. On top of that, he gives 10% of his money to tithe, 10% to household bills, and 50% to his house fund. That only leaves him with 30% to fritter away. So for him to offer his hard earned cash was such a touching thing. And he sincerely meant it. I told him how much I appreciated his offer, but it wouldn't be necessary. (It was very nice of him to offer his brother's wages, as well. *grin*. Though, I am sure if it were necessary that that son would also offer up his money.)

Moments like that are what makes being a mother so worthwhile!
.

5 comments:

Linda said...

HAHA I know exactly what you mean about the brown envelopes I have the same reaction, instant panic attack. I'm sure it is because they are rarely good news. Even my highly paid accountant can't get it right so it is no wonder we don't stand a chance.

No wonder your heart melted, what a sweet offer from Cassidy. You must be so proud of him.

BCMommy said...

What wonderful sons you have raised.
I had a touching moment today too. Nick (6) and I were in the grocery store and were looking at Father's Day cards, when he took my hand and said 'Mommy, guess what?' I said 'what?' He said 'come down here closer'. I did and he said 'Mommy, I love you so much forever and ever and also, you are very pretty.' Just all out of the blue! The woman next to me got all teary and said 'I wish my boys would say things like that to me...they are 14 and 16 and just grunt these days from under their piles of laundry in their rooms-cherish it.' I have a feeling Nick will always be that kind of kid...he is so full of love, but who knows. I am a lucky mom, and I will cherish these moments, just like you :)

Unknown said...

Claire,

I have discovered after 18 years of parenting that YES the child they are as wee ones, is the child they remain. They will have rough times as teens, but the heart will always remain the same. Cherish that precious little boy, because sadly they grow up too fast! My six year old is similar. He has the softest heart and can't stand to offend me. It breaks his heart and he has to apologize right away with crocodile tears in his eyes. I love him dearly! He is my sweet little freckle-faced Cooper.

Justine :o)

Unknown said...

that is very sweet!

Sounds like you had a fantastic camping experience!
Noelle

Sharla said...

You are raising them to be men of integrity and to know how to treat women...not a small feat.