Thursday, June 25, 2009

Last Days of Camping

Austin certainly enjoyed fishing and became quite the pro. Cassidy says that his nice rod has a too complicated reel, where Austin's has a nice simple push button cast thingy. Who knows what he means, but we might have to get Cassidy an easier rod.

So Austin went fishing with Cassidy on the second to last day. They headed out early and Austin left his rod sitting on the dock. He used a piece of bacon as bait. Great bait! He left the dock to go and get something from the trailer. It wasn't long before Cassidy was yelling from the dock. Something about the rod.

I headed down to see what it was all about and he showed me Austin's rod in the water. He said he was sitting there when the rod suddenly went shooting into the water. I could see the rod on the bottom of the lake and figured Cassidy had better go swimming to get it. Instead, he grabbed a log to try to pull it up. I am guessing he did not want to get wet so early. *smile*


This nice man came over and helped Cassidy retrieve the pole.


A little while later, Austin arrives at the door with this...


I had no clue the fish was still on the rod! He had caught a squaw fish. Apparently, they aren't nice to eat, so he let it go. But he was thrilled to bits with how large it was!

That night, Cassidy and Austin stayed out catched trout in a net and putting them in a bucket, til nearly dark. Finally, at 10:00 pm I called them in to bed. I had to give them the sad news that they would not be able to keep their trout as pets. They were hoping to set up a pond at home. I explained that we didn't have the environment, plus it was probably against the law as the fish were so small and meant for fishing and not netting! They sadly let them go.

That same afternoon, a storm blew up and it was wet. It was a good time to pull up stakes. Ray was not coming until the following morning, so the kids came into the trailer and got out games and played until bedtime.


Removing Sister's Beads


I worked on Colt's graduation video all night... til 2:30 in the morning. But it was done in time for his graduation.

Last Breakfast in the Trailer


Heading Home for the Next Adventure

.

4 comments:

Linda said...

What a great fish story Austin, that is a tricky way to catch a fish. I'm glad it didn't run off with your rod.

Jody said...

Your girls are getting so big. Hard to beleive that soon they will be home for a year.

I don't comment often, but I want to say thank you for the posts, I enjoy reading them. I especially like the ones about your girls' adjustments. Mirtalem is 5 and has been home for 2 months.

Have a great summer!!

darci said...

how very fun! we are hoping to head out camping in september in my in-laws trailer. glad you had a great time!

Anonymous said...

Justine:

We haven't heard from you on the IA adoption board. Did you hear the news about the bankruptcy?

Nancy