Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cajun Meatball Soup

This is the most delicious recipe! None of my recipes end up exactly the same, so even if I write this out you will find that your version is slightly different from mine. But it should still taste delicious! Even my most picky child who won't eat *anything* ate three bowls of the soup! Probably because it doesn't have celery, mushrooms, or onions!

The following recipe is so easy that even a child can make it. And does at my house!

The first thing I should mention is that when I know I am making soup, I always drain my vegetables and potatoes that I am cooking for dinner into my large soup pot. This way I have a vegetable stock for the soup. So without even trying I have saved all the nutrients and have about 5 litres of base!

Smoky Meatballs

2 large eggs, fork beaten
1/2 cup water
2 cups dry bread crumbs
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
liquid smoke (optional - and I don't use it)
3lb ground beef

I like to double the sauce, so I end up with more sauce for my soup recipe

1 1/2 cups chili sauce (3 cups)
1 cup white sugar (2 cups)
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (4 tsp)

1) Combine the first nine ingredients. Mix well. Shape into meatballs.

2) Brown in a frying pan. Put into an oven dish or crockpot.

3) Combine the last three ingredients. Pour over the meatballs.

4) Cook in the oven for about 1 hour or the crockpot on high for a few hours.

This is a delicious recipe, feeds 10 people, including 4 adult eaters. A tad spicy.

After dinner is when I begin to compile the soup recipe from the leftovers. The kitchen is already a mess and it will only take a few minutes to begin, and the balance can be done in the morning. But this way I have a headstart.

Cajun Meatball Soup


leftover mashed potato (I had about 4 cups)
leftover meatballs and sauce (I had about 8 meatballs)
6-8 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
6 large bakers potatoes
1 tall can creamed corn
2 cups black beans
2 cups Texan bean mix
1/4 - 1/2 cup dry barley

Making Dried Beans For the Freezer
I always cook up lots of beans and keep them in 2 cup servings in ziplocs in the freezer. This is simple to do. I put on a large pan of water and put in about 4-6 cups dry beans. Whatever kind I want. I bring the water to a boil, and then I turn it down and let it cook on a medium heat for about 3-5 hours. I then rinse the beans and then bag them into servings for the freezer. This is fast, efficient, and way cheaper than buying cans!


Okay, so with this recipe I make either rice or potato. I usually save the leftover rice and use it in a soup the next day. This last time I did it I made mashed potato and I did something different than I usually do. I used the mashed potato in the soup.

I always make enough of the meat dish to have some leftover sauce and meatballs. You can even do this recipe if there are only two meatballs. Where there is a will and a budget - there is a way!

I took my second largest pan (6 inches high x 11 inches across) and I dumped the remains of the sauce and meatballs into it. (I already had the cooking water from the vegetables and potato that I cooked for dinner in the pot.)

I broke up the meatballs with a fork. I then decided to try putting the leftover mashed potato into the pan. It seemed a shame to toss that much leftover food away, but I had not used mashed potato in soup before. I put it in and then mushed it around and decided it looked quite gross. But I was willing to give it a shot!

I then selected the carrots and large bakers potatoes. I peeled them both and then sliced the carrots and diced the potatoes. I tossed them into the mixture. I poured in the can of creamed corn. This makes a nice thickener, tastes good, and is nutrious. I added the bags of beans and the dry barley.

I then put it in the fridge and left it til morning. The following day I turned on the stove, brought the soup to nearly a boil, and then turned it down to about 3 and let it cook for a number of hours. I did not need to add any more seasoning because the sauce from the meatballs added a nice flavour.

Well, I have to tell you!! When I served it up for the kids for lunch today I had a taste. Boy, was I impressed!! I had forgotten I had put mashed potato in and I was wondering why the soup looked so thick and hearty! It was delicious!! I have found the secret ingredient. So in future, always make too much mashed potato if you intend to make a soup from your left over chicken or meatballs!

This pot of soup will last us two or three days, but as it dwindles I will often add things to it to stretch it. Perhaps a couple cans of regular tomato soup or some more beans or another can of creamed corn. This way I will get another day or two out of it. You know, in the old days they would have a vat of hot soup on the back of the stove and it just kept on going. Each day bits were added to it and it always tasted different, but it was always hot and yummy! Time to get back to my soup making lunches!

And then God's provision. We have my dear friend, Rusty, who blesses us with as much bread as we would like. Do you think I would be making these beautiful loaves of bread? I would love to say yes, but sadly it is no. I don't have the desire nor patience to make such pretty bread. But it sure tastes delicious with the soup!


Nothing like a good book with your bowl of soup!


Cassidy puts up with the camera because he wants to have his photo in his blog book, *not* the Blog World! :o)

Austin loves to be on camera and knows he is heading for Blog Fame.
.

1 comment:

Gwen said...

This looks delicious, Justine! And what a good idea about cooking and freezing lots of beans. I buy the cans -- never thought of freezing -- and I will be happy to save a little money by doing it your way. Thanks!