Thursday, January 14, 2010

St. Nicholas Day 2009

St. Nicholas Stockings Waiting For the Children

The boys are all familiar with their stockings and know which one they are to look for on the morning of St. Nicholas Day. This year my mother had made the girls each a gorgeous petite point stocking. The stitches were ever so tiny! She usually made the boys each a beautiful embroidered birth announcement, but because don't have actual facts on the girls, she thought it would be nice to make them their stockings with their birth names on them.

It took Savannah a while to find hers.

I Think This is Mine?

Happy Girl!


Savannah must have done this puzzle twenty times in the first few days. She really enjoyed being able to do it. Briton was exactly the same with his Toy Story puzzle.

After everyone had opened their gifts they disappeared to play with their treasures. Then Ray and I began to make the St. Nicholas Day brunch. I remember being a child on Christmas with all the stocking tiny treasures and wanting to play with them, but there was work to be done. So, since my children are such good and willing workers every day of the year, it was nice to be able to send them on their way, while Ray and I prepared the brunch.

And It Was Yummy!

I love St. Nicholas Day. It is a quiet family day and there is no huge pressures. A time of gift receiving followed by a nice meal, followed by a relaxing day of games and puzzles and movies.

A Wonderful Way to Spend the Day!

.
.

3 comments:

Hi from Ruth! said...

I LOVE the photos. My favourite is the large one at the top - what an awesome family picture. You have a beautiful family. It sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas together.

Ruth

dmvoccola said...

I like your new blog topper. And the sitting around the table reminded me of the nights we all ate together at your house.

Linda said...

This is how I like to spend a day with the family too. It is the reason I fought so hard not to have a TV at the lake. To my delight even though they got satellite TV this last summer they still wanted to play games and hardly used the TV. I loved it and seeing your group in these photos warmed my heart. I am so glad you had a nice St. Nicholas Day.